Rings + Staircase Bannister?

Started by Daniel Boakye, March 11, 2011 · 5 Replies · 7,013 Views

Daniel Boakye

Just a quick Q, but basically we have pretty low door frames in my house, and I'd like a little extra height to be able to work on German Hangs etc.

We have one of those staircase landings with a bannister like this (but nowhere near as nice), in that there's a ledge with sufficient space to at the least perform chin ups, and potentially to hang the rings from.

upstairs%20banisters.jpg

In that there's an overhang where I could potentially hang them over the "rail" bit or base (though that seems like a bad idea) of the bannister.

I get the feeling this may not be a great idea, as it could potentially break the bannister, and as it's a rented property I'm not looking to do so. So I was wondering has anyone tried anything like this before? Is it safe?

I'd just like to add a bit of variety to my home workouts.

Thanks

Timy7

run a dowel or iron pipe across one corner at floor level, then you have a rod to hang from and arent going to rip the bannister off.

Should still give you more height then a door frame.

Hope what I am writing makes sense, hard to explain with text.

Daniel Boakye

I think I get you, but any chance you could give me a really basic paint pic or something lol?

rubadub

This is what he means

henrypullup.jpg

If the corner section is a problem (there might be railings under the corner) then you could put a long wooden pole on the ground, it would be parallel with the hand rail but on the ground. Now you put your webbing over the pole and sticking out between the vertical posts. Now when you hang from the rings the pole it will be held in place by lots of the vertical poles, so it will evenly distribute the load across many poles instead of relying on just 2, it may want to be wrapped in something to prevent marking.

You can also hang from your attic hole, if you have one.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTVwceCLrl9fLogTDTu94Zz29iW37ZGr7KyHsyAzhSYhPVUjmHGHQ&t=1

Timy7

damn you rub!

I looked for HOURS for that pic of the thinman doing pullups off the corner like that and couldnt find it anywhere. That was the exact picture I was thinking of, thank you for posting it.

rubadub
Timy7 said:
I looked for HOURS for that pic of the thinman doing pullups off the corner like that and couldnt find it anywhere.
:D I knew what site it was on, google images didn't find it for me. You have probably seen this site already, for those who haven't have a good look as there are many excellent ideas, that picture was in the bodyweight section.

http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/shenandoah ... grunt.html

It just noticed the sign "Site last updated 03-18-11", it was not updated for a long time before that.