Training for Forward Roll + MU, and FL + MU + L-sit +...

Started by FritsMB Mansvelt Beck, March 9, 2011 · 3 Replies · 1,799 Views

FritsMB Mansvelt Beck

Having mastered my basic MU transition, I can now start training the skills needed for the Ring Strength series. So a forward roll plus MU, and a FL plus MU (plus L-sit and Bulgarian dip) is what I am training for now. That will get me about one third of the way of at least one of the Ring Strength series. My (presently non-existing) BL will then be next. By now I know that I have to approach learning the basics very systematically, taking even smaller steps than is normally recommended on this forum. For example, it took me about half a year to figure out why I had a hard time controlling my legs from flopping around with a simple move like a forward roll. Not until I tried to do pullovers on my home made trapeze, did I understand (in terms of body awareness) what was going wrong. I was loosing track of my centre of gravity. So that is where my focus now is: practicing to control my center of gravity during a simple but more dynamic move like a forward roll; mainly by breaking down that move in small steps. It also allows me to overcome my “fear of flyingâ€. Anyway, I am having a lot of fun. Here is a video of some of my current training.

87JWnudyXpA

By the way, mr. Brady if you read this. My answer to your question about how to do a pullover is in the video. Use the momentum of your legs (in a pike) to pull your hips back over the bar.

Cole Dano

Frits really nice work!

I really think you are approaching this the right way. Working methodically on the important elements, gaining in strength and skill and then choosing the next intelligent piece to add to the puzzle.

Your MU looks very good now, i'm still behind on that, but have also adopted the same method and find steady improvement.

Thanks for the tip on the pullover, i certainly was watching that part of the video very carefully and will a few more times.

I was using a similar set up to yours, but was always worried that the bar would slip out of the rings. This was mostly due to having a much wider grip than yours, will have to try it again. You certainly make it look easy!

Alessandro Mainente

great progress, if you want a tip, try to minimize the stop between pull and dip in the transition!

the kay is, start dip before the pull's end! you find that is not simple in the beginning but do this increase the strentgh in the biggest part where the MU transition is required! learn how to not stp between pull and dip will help you in the future skill like kip to support!

in the beginning i was able to do 6-7 kip to support but i didn't arrive with straigth arm, my problem was only that i stopped the movement in the transition! now the kip has almost a straigth arms final position, result of training the MU as fluid as possible without any pause!!!

i hope i'll can do your skills where i'll be you age!!!

FritsMB Mansvelt Beck

Mr. Brady. Thanks for the encouragement. It is the wealth of information available on this forum and, especially, the emphasis on intelligent scaling that has helped me to change my approach to mastering these (very) basic gymnastic skills. My approach used to be mostly competitive: “If he/she can do that, I should be able to do that tooâ€. It provides drive and energy, but largely misses the point of enjoying the effort (including the figuring of how-to), because you limit yourself to only enjoying the “winâ€. I consider myself lucky to have discovered this, for me, new approach, especially because I have to allow for a neuromuscular system that is more like the ignition system of a third-world taxi cab (it does not always fire when you would want it to). Likewise, my hormonal plant does not produce as abundantly as it used to. Even so, progress in strength and coordination can be made, but patience is key and you have to listen very carefully to your body.

I had the same concern about my bar (actually, a piece of a carbon-fiber sculling oar) to slip out of my rings, but now feel pretty confident that it will not. I think a wider grip will make it harder to do the required pull-up when you bring your legs up over the bar (a wide pull-up is harder than a normal pull-up).

Alex87. Thanks for the tip. I will start to focus on that. I think now I completely relax and just drop in the low support of the dip. Instead, I should start pushing when moving into that position. I have been trying to visualize of how to do a couple of forward rolls in sequence, and I think what you are pointing at is also essential for being able to do that.