Strange ab injury/ strain?

Started by Javier Colon, March 8, 2011 · 5 Replies · 2,721 Views

Javier Colon

I was doing lsits and it felt like my top left ab got tucked under my ribcage for a second. I stopped instantly since it hurt and am wondering what this could possibly be. Please help so I can get it under control asap

Cole Dano

How does it feel now?

Javier Colon

Feels a little sore but im afraid to crunch my core. Could possibly be my serratus muscle slipping in between a rib? Any way i think im going to lay off training a bit and just pre/re hab everything for a week and see how i feel.

Cole Dano

I had something like that happen doing a deep backbend variation. A friend was assisting and physically pressing my head and feet together while i held my toes in an overhead grip.

Suddenly there was a very loud cracking sound and everyone in the room stopped what they were doing for a moment.

I guess the fascia got caught somehow on the lower rib and cracked my sternum. It was a bit painful for a week or two, but thankfully its not a serious thing beyond.

I would recommend you do what ever fascial work you can as it starts to heal. Beyond that rest is about all you can do within your tolerance for pain.

Javier Colon

What type of work is fascial work? I was thinking of working more on bridges since that seems to stretch the abs out and laying off compression type of movements for a bit.

braindx

It's more likely to be something like the diaphragm cramping (if holding your breath) or possible upper oblique/upper ab strain.

Do non-painful mobility work and massage pretty much. Allow it rest to recover.

I mean if it doesn't bother you after it recovers probably something very minor like a small strain. Nothing to worry about.

If it was deeper I might be worried about a hiatal hernia, but that generally occurs with heavier lifting stuff and is much more rare.