This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Skippy's circus audition conditioning.

Started by Skippy, March 6, 2011 · 15 Replies · 1,510 Views

Skippy

I'm auditioning for a Circus School soon, and now that it's about 12 weeks away (I'm hoping), training is now solely bodyweight. I used to do some weights here and there, but alas.

I do mainly acrobatics, or well a sport calling tricking, but I'm getting more and more into hand balancing and gymnastics conditioning everyday. I'll put a log in here whenever I condition I hope, I need to start logging my acro sessions again too on video uploads. Woop woop!

5/3/2011

I trained last night, so may as well give a brief overview to start off, for anyone who watchs to get a brief overview of where I'm at. I did my workout in three parts last night;

1-

5 x 8-10 second holds Advanced Tuck Front Lever

After each set I'd have a 30 second break, then do some handstands, usually just 2 sets lasting about 10-15 seconds each. I did some tuck planche presses to handstand too :]

2-

3 sets of 1 arm pull up progression

Each set I used the index finger of my free hand in a pull up hand grip style thing, I did 3 reps on each arm followed by 2 negatives.

After 1 minutes rest I'd do the other arm, have another minute or so rest and then perform planches.

5 sets in totalish, I just did 1-2 sets in between the one arm chins. Did Advanced Tucks for 8-10 seconds at a time.

3-

Just 3x10 sets of chins. 1x10 wide pulls, 1x10 neutral grip, 1x10 cg chins.

Skippy

Last night was mucho funnos :]

7/3/11

I had an open gymnastics session yesterday. Well, all my sessions are open =]

Just drilled drilled drilled front handsprings to death, did a few with an over-exaggerated arch and felt like my discs were going to fuse together haha. Landed my first gymnastic aerials too (I've been able to do them the sorta capoeira way for eternity, gymnast way though was an achilles heal).

I performed 3 flags randomly, didn't expect to be able to do them well. I held them all for about 6 seconds, I reckon I could have held the last one for longer but I'll wait until a day when I'm not sore at all.

The session itself was surprising, it started off awfully, couldn't land a thing. Although after about 20 minutes I thought fuck this, used a bit of common sense that I do actually have control of my limbs. Afterwards it was one of the most enjoyable sessions I've had, only performing basics but they were all the best they've been. Aerials, cartwheel arabians, standing front tucks and 540 kicks were more or less the focus of my session.

Upon home;

3x10 pistols

I did these with 3 sets of leg swings for a bit of dynamics and hand balancing in between, it's all good fun.

Skippy

It weren't even worth conditioning yesterday. I was so tired.

I did 3 sets of front levers and planches, both still advanced but it was a big struggle to keep it there. Taking today off, hitting it hard tomorrow.

Skippy

The last few days have been random, I've been having odd sleeping patterns and feeling fatigued since my last post, I've been conditioning a little each day but nothing strenuous or worth noting.

Today though I woke up feeling good and strong, so I got down to the gym.

I felt like doing weighted chins =]

1x5 20kg

1x5 30kg

1x1 40kg, the belt bent out at the bottom after this, but it was still a fun session.

With the belt now being bent I thought well, it's been about 4 months since I last did any weight training. My old bench was always 80x5, found it very difficult to get past there. So today I did;

1x 10 60kg

1x 10 70kg

1x 5 85kg

70kg felt easy, so I thought meh I'll definitely be able to do 80x5, went for the P.R and got it =] I'm a happy shopper.

I'm about to go tricking in half an hour, then I'll do some front lever, planche and 1 arm chin work tonight with handstands.

yuri marmerstein

When are you having your audition?

Seiji

Why hello there :P

Not such bad stuff! I like on the first day where you did handstands and presses between sets of front levers... seems like a good way to compact training time.

Skippy

I'm actually emailing Circus Space in London now to confirm their latest audition dates. In 2009 when I auditioned they were in July, I am hoping much the same.

Thankyou Seiji =] It is! I Just figured it made more sense doing static holds in between opposing muscle groups as opposed to advise I've had (and believe seen in the gymnastic bodies book) of doing front levers in between chin up sets.

Plus my handstands have always been best after sets of front levers, and subsequently are better done in between FL sets as opposed to sets of dips or any other pushing based movement.

Skippy

Today I did some light conditioning =] Felt realllllllly ill this morning and didn't sleep through all last night. Feverish kinda thing.

Still;

3 sets of random front levers with tuck planches, then about 20-25 minutes of hand balancing work. Hand balancing was off today, although nicey the narrow hand position worked out much better than wide today. Good form feeling easier is always a boost of confidence.

I worked some front split handstands, as in going up, doing front split to my limit (lol, not much) and just holding it like that for some kinda creativity. It's definitely something I want to look towards in my circus audition. I'm beginning to piece together in my mind how my routine is going to go soon. I'm looking forward to it.

Audition in Bristol Circomedia school is Aug 11, I'm awaiting reply from Circus Space in London to see their final dates and if there's even any places left.

Skippy

I went the gym and did more. Lolol!

5 sets of-

300m Rowing machine sprints

10 Dumbbell swings on each arm with 25kg (thing kettlebell swings...but it's a dumbbell! omg!)

3x10 pistols

SS

3x5 glute ham curl MACHINEEEEE

Came home, did some more hand balancing. About to bathe and go to bed, goodnight Gymnastics homies.

Skippy

Did some dynamics last night

5x-10-14 chins

3x8-10 headstand push ups

Basically just blasted through them as quickly as possible. Todays more of a recovery day if anything. If I keep continuing as I am, which is more or less 1-hard upper body, 1-legs, 1-light upper body, 1-purely cardio things should be easy enough to never really need to take a days rest. Last night certainly wasn't any problem despite having a feeling of fatigue throughout the day.

In between every set of everything I'd just drill some good ole regular handstands. =]

Tricking tonight!

Skippy

Gymnastics last night was fun :]

Worked front handsprings still to death. If anyones wondering, the only tricks in my Circus Audition routine will be aerial, cartwheel front flip, front handspring step out front handspring, I dunno I might do a 540 kick, I'd like to do a cheat 9 but we'll see where things go. I mighttttt do a backtuck, depends if I get it to the standard I'd like. I can already do it nearish my head height but it just doesn't look how I'd like. Zomg and a double leg! this will be weird haha. I need to get the routine planned sorta nowish.

So anyway, tons of front handsprings, did my first walk out of a front handspring which felt gorgeous to do. I tried a no handed walkover, my first one went so weirdly. Over arching from front handsprings helped so much, I got zero height.

I literally landed like this

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQMLaNKutNpngAK-ZD7w8ELN5w7FUMKH3qHS5K0-jMabpAlxQ9Twg&t=1

I didn't try any others after it, when I can punch front out of axe>front handsprings I probably will again. Although trying webster layouts with this kinda technique excites my mind so who knows.

Previous to my knee injury I could do standing cartwheel front flips (arabians, whatever) at my head height, now it's about 6 weeks on from that and they're finally back to their old selves. I love it when drilling pays off in the end.

540 kicks went soundddd again. Quite happy about that.

No conditioning. Felt far too fucked, I'm about to do it now though, will consist offff;

3x L sits with just some push ups and wrist rolling in between to warm up a bit.

4x max half front levers

4x max adv tuck planche

Maybe 3 sets of chins and some planche work at the end. Not in the mood for one arm chin drill shit tonight.

I'm feeling doing like 3 sets of presses either side with my 45lb dumbbell too, just the max of each so maybe 12-15 either side.

Fun fun fun in the sun sun sun.

Also for anyone who doesn't know me, this is basically what my physique looks like. 5ft8 152lbs =]

149377_1720790423346_1345877608_1784507_729073_n.jpg

Alvaro

Pretty light for a camel... :lol:

Skippy

=]

IMAG0047-1.jpg?t=1300490158

IMAG0046.jpg?t=1300490236

yuri marmerstein

aaahhh, open up your shoulders bro

Skippy

Today I did;

Weighted chins;

1x5 20kg

2x5 20kg , I really hope this goes up soon =[

Weighted Dips;

With 20kg

1x12

1x10

1x8

Semi Incline Dumbbell Press 30kg;

3x10

Some barbell rows, I think it was 60kg but I was pretty fatigued, so I couldn't be bothered logging it.

Todays workout was hardddd, the last session I had in there with the kettlebells really made me sore for some reason. I've been living on zero food too, but tomorrow is food shopping day and that's just motivation to eat. Full fridges anger me.

Skippy

Haven't really trained gymnastics conditioning wise this week. Had a heavy duty weights session with a friend lately that left me a bit crippled. On a side note I deaded 400 @ 152lbs, far from a personal best but it's been about 5-6 months since I last deadlifted. It definitely wasn't a max, if chalk was about I reckon 440 would have been in the baggggg,

Last night I finally landed gymnastics aerials on my correct side haha. Been able to do them on my 'wrong side' for eternity now, so this was a bigggg smiley time for me :]