Bridge stretch

Started by ultimath, March 3, 2011 · 7 Replies · 4,395 Views

ultimath

Hello guys,

My bridge is completely pathetic. When I do it my arms are super-bent and everything.

My question is, should I keep doing them even if my arms are super-bent? Or should I do other streches as "prerequisites" before using the stretch again?

Thanks,

Mathieu

Blairbob

Elevate your feet up to focus on opening shoulders.

Sj-wtflDZ_0

ultimath

Gonna try it.

Your advice is much appreciated.

Cole Dano

There are many additional things you can do as a prep.

Anything that opens the shoulders and thoracic spine, down dog for example.

Laying over a bench and stretching the chest is also very helpful.

When you do get to the point that you try to straighten the arms, walk away from you hands so you give your lumbar some room. Your arms may be angled at first and that's no big deal. By doing this, and having the feet up you can find a place that you can 'comfortably' begin to work on opening the chest and shoulders.

If you aren't naturally open here, this is going to feel like work, and needs a lot of patience.

Backbends respond to more reps and shorter holds at first. Up do the best you can down. repeat. On the 10x wall walk days do at least 10 reps, just from the floor until you can get your arms straight. There is no point IMHO in doing the bridge wall walk until you have a decent bridge in the first place.

ultimath

Mr Brady, I shall thank you very much.

It's been only five days and I can already feel the improvement. :)

Cole Dano

Excellent!

gymgreg

The videos below show some bridge progressions which may be helpful.

9BXNRWanHck

ZO82mkrObb8

TI1C4R74WBA

Rn9BrRhWGIg

VI-j1inYMag

4k5ruPEYRl4

Jeff Parrott
Mr Brady said:

Backbends respond to more reps and shorter holds at first.

I've found this to be very true. Bridge pushups have progressed my bridge more in a few days than static holds have in weeks. Thanks for the awesome tidbit.