Pulling hips out of the socket

Started by Bruno Cochofel, March 2, 2011 · 6 Replies · 4,390 Views

Bruno Cochofel

Hi, can someone explain to me what does it meanm and how can I do:

"pulling hips out of the socket"?

Thanks,

Bruno

Tarun Suri

Sounds weird to me. I'd rather mobilize them so they are properly in their sockets.

Care to give the context?

Bruno Cochofel

In some sites on the net, in the context of doing the splits, they use the expression "pulling hips out of the socket", especially in the front split

Tarun Suri

I could be wrong, but I think it's simply a visualization technique to help you think about really extending all the way through to your toes. You need to actively think about engaging the musculature to pull (stretch) the antagonists enough to reach that deeper position.

But I could be completely wrong.

Cole Dano

That's correct Random, you don't really want to pull your hips out of socket, just create extension down the inner leg to the ankle.

There are some who go to extremes with any good idea and turn it into a bad one.

There is also a school of thought that says putting your hips into traction (pulling out of socket) is healthy for your hips. This wasn't my experience for the most part. In fact my current efforts in deep stretching are moving towards learning to anchor my hips more firmly in socket. In fact there is good reason to believe that many of the hip related problems that come with age are due to the hips not sitting correctly in socket there fore causing undue stress on the femoral neck.

Tarun Suri

That school of thought is disturbing. It goes everything against what I've been learning about mobility and proper gait.

Bruno Cochofel

Ok, I', glad to ear this.. I also was disturbed with the "pulling hips out of socket" concept.

Thanks for all the answer,

Bruno