Tuck PL - Critique Needed

Started by Eddie Stelling, March 1, 2011 · 6 Replies · 2,148 Views

Eddie Stelling

So i filmed a tuck PL for some much needed review. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. It seems that my hips are super high, this is the first time I have ever seen myself do one and had no idea. When they drop to from the super high level shoulder level I have considered the hold done. Also, when my hips are at what appears to be the correct level (shoulder high), my knees touch the inside of my elbows it seems like it's cheating. Thanks in advance for any help fellas!!

I can never get the embedding of the videos to work. Thanks in advance guys.

Javier Colon

According to the picture in the book, hips should be shoulder height. The way you have it in the last couple secs of the hold.

Eddie Stelling

Thanks dude, I agree that they seem a little high. When I keep them shoulder height like you are describing, my knees touch my inner arms, not sure if this right. Trying to get some advice so thanks for your input!

Ryan Verma

I've also been having trouble progressing from a tuck planche to a flat tuck planche on the ground (as opposed to parallettes, which I find easier). I usually have my hands slightly further apart than you do, but now that I think about it, that probably makes it harder on me.

I think it would be fine if the knees touch the elbows, so long as they're not resting on them like the do in the previous progression (I think it's the advanced frog stand). As long as you're not resting on your elbows or relying on the friction between your knees and your elbows to keep your hips at shoulder height, I don't think that's cheating.

You might even find an increase in difficulty in terms of strength requirements if you keep your hips a little lower. I tried to do it the way you do in your video and couldn't really hold it because I felt off balance with my hips so high. Then again, I usually raise myself from the ground into the planche rather than walk into it the way you did, so maybe that had something to do with it.

Perhaps you could try it that way too... raise yourself from your hands and knees into a tuck planche and see where your hips and knees end up...

Eddie Stelling

Thanks alot for your advice bud! I have just been curious as to what is correct because my hold time, as shown in the video, has been 6-8 seconds based on my hips at that high level. I am well over 30s if they are lower (the level they are at right before I quit in the video.) I will definitely play around with pressing up from on my knees. Thanks for your input!

Also, i have found that having my hands right at shoulder width makes it easier for me to engage/squeeze my chest muscles to help hold. It is harder to balance but a much stronger hold for me. I discovered this with PL leans. Play around with it. Thanks again!

yuri marmerstein

I think it looks good. elbows are locked and shoulders are nicely extended.

two things you can mess around with are turning the hands outward more and placing the hands a bit wider. Legs touching the arms slightly is fine as long as they are not helping to support.

your hip position is interesting as you seem to be favoring your traps more than your anterior delts. I would say get on the PB and go into your high tuck PL and work on slowly lowering trying to feel the point at which your delts take over more of the load

Eddie Stelling

Thank you very much! I think you are right, now that I think about it I do rely alot on the traps. I will play around with it today. Your tips are much appreciated! Thanks again!