This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 110228

Started by Coach Sommer, February 28, 2011 · 12 Replies · 2,330 Views

Coach Sommer

trvd6vsIE2o

Perform 3 rounds of:

10 Weighted Killers

5 GHR

30m Sled Sprint

Finish the workout with 60 seconds total aggregate work of a straddle L variation.

notes:

1) Killers are essentially a jumping lunge.

2) To perform Killers, first assume a right kneeling lunge position where the right foot is in front and flat on the ground with the right knee bent at approx. a 90-degree angle. The left leg will be behind with the left knee on the ground approximately 14-16†behind the heel of the right foot and the toes of the left leg curled under to aid in the coming jump. From this position, explode upward into the air as high as possible. At the top of the jump, switch the right leg backward and the left leg forward landing in the opposite lunge position. This constitutes one repetition. Continue for the prescribed number of repetitions.

3) Be careful to only allow the knee of the back leg to only lightly touch the ground. DO NOT bounce off of the ground with this knee or injury will result.

4) If possible, the Killers should be performed weighted by holding dumbbells at your sides. 20-40lb dumbbells should be sufficient for most people; although you should certainly feel free to go much heavier if possible.

5) Use the minimum momentum necessary to complete the GHR.

6) Add sufficient weight to the sled/tire sprints to make the sprints quite challenging; the running should be very strenuous.

7) If you do not have access to a tire or sled for sprints, then possible sled/tire substitutions include: perform the sprints with a weight vest, drag a kettlebell on the ground behind you while sprinting, have a partner pulling backward on you during the sprint with a long strap. The best substitute, and possible even better than the sled sprints, is to run up a very steep hill with a weighted vest.

8 ) This workout should be performed as a modified giant set. To this end perform the Killers then rest 60 sec, perform the GHR then rest 60sec, finally perform the sled sprints and then rest 5 minutes before beginning the next modified giant set.

swarovski

I'm trying to get a grasp on WOD programming as I want to start with these as soon as discomfort from my elbow will be gone, this is a leg strength day, right? if such what is the purpose then:

- reactive strength

- explosive strength

- strength endurance

all of those?

none of those?

something else?

thanks for any hint.

Kenneth Manning

3 rounds

10 weighted killers (2x30 lb DB's)

GHR half mini jumpstretch band assist x 5,5,5

jumping SLS BWx10,10,10 (alternating)

Bent leg straddle L 15 sec x 5

Gustav

This is going to be my first WOD :)

I'm pretty excited :)

_____________________________________________

That was pretty awesome :D Very good workout! I will start following those! :D

Warmup:

Some whole body warmup

6x5 sec Advanced tuck planche

3x8 sec One leg extended front lever

3 Rounds:

10 weighted killers (2x8 KG weights)

5 Natural Leg Curls

30m backwards running with 22KG weight vest

5x12 sec Low Straddle L

Adriano Katkic
Gustav said:
This is going to be my first WOD :)

I'm pretty excited :)

same here! boy, oh boy!

Josh Schmitter

Leg days are almost always great days for me...not easy physically, but mentally as the scaling is much easier :).

3 rounds:

10 Killers 15lbs in each hand

5 half GHR, slight adjustment, 5 arch-ups

30m weighted sled sprints

4x15s Lsit.

swarovski said:
I'm trying to get a grasp on WOD programming as I want to start with these as soon as discomfort from my elbow will be gone, this is a leg strength day, right? if such what is the purpose then:

- reactive strength

- explosive strength

- strength endurance

This is what I call a basic leg strength day. The basic strength days usually have 3-5m rest between each exercise and they are usually not performed in giant sets, just one at a time, so technically this would be strength with a little endurance, but not as much as (what I call) the dynamic leg days. If you haven't already, going through a month of WOD's and writing them all out to figure out the pattern/schedule is priceless in the long run.

Patrick Angelo Sardilli

Warmup:

5 minutes of Easy Uphill Walk

12 Bodyweight Killers

5 Easy GHRs

10s L-Sit Hold on Floor

WOD:

Bench Press 8-4-3-3-3-3

20.4 kg - 50.4 kg - 70.4 kg - 80.4 kg - 85.4 kg - 87.66 kg

3 Rounds:

10 Weighted Killers (35#, 40#, 50#)

Rest 60s

5 GHRs

Rest 60s

20 Stairs Sprints on a Sairmaster

Rest 5 minutes

Finish with 60s total work on L-Sit (Floor; 10s, 10s, 10s, 10s, 10s, 10s) & 2 x 10 Wrist Pushups.

Tyler Schmitz

Warm Up:

3x10 s Adv. Tuck PL

3x15 s Half Lay FL

3x15 s Straddle L

3 rds:

Weighted Killers (20 lbs each hand)

rest 60 s

5 Natural Leg curl(minimal hip piking) + 5 arch ups

rest 60 s

30 m sled sprint (punching bag; it was pouring outside so I felt like Rocky training lol)

rest 5 min

swarovski
This is what I call a basic leg strength day. The basic strength days usually have 3-5m rest between each exercise and they are usually not performed in giant sets, just one at a time, so technically this would be strength with a little endurance, but not as much as (what I call) the dynamic leg days. If you haven't already, going through a month of WOD's and writing them all out to figure out the pattern/schedule is priceless in the long run.

thank you very much TANSTAAFL, analyzing wod's is exactly what I'm doing.

Just as a side note, I did make a question about programming on CF board in april 2010 (blairbob replyied me there as well) and that's ended my CF involvement, I first have to understand and agree on the principle I have to believe.

Joshua Naterman

This was fun! I finally got my tire sled up and running, 75 lb tires are no joke after the killers.

On an unrelated note, I finally have my climbing rope set up as well! Yay! 2.5" manila fiber.

Josh Schmitter
slizzardman said:
On an unrelated note, I finally have my climbing rope set up as well! Yay! 2.5" manila fiber.

I really need to get on the horse for homemade equipment. Stahl bars, climbing rope, parallel bars, and a new longer pull up bar. Thanks again slizz for the inspiration.

Joshua Naterman

No prob! I found that the easiest thing to do was go grab my friend's old rope off a tree, which would probably cost about 80 bucks new if I ordered one. The cool thing about ordering ropes online is that they often come with a pre-installed hanging clip. I just tied a simple knot in mine and it's as secure as can be. I have it tied to my power rack right now but I'll put an eye hook in one of the ceiling joists and hang it off of that soon. Having a rope at home is outstanding. Ropes are easily one of the most under-rated training tools of all time.

Edit: It might be a 2" rope, I'm not sure. It feels more like a 2 inch rope when I squeeze it, but either way it is super awesome.

Alvaro

I performed this WOD with using the rest times of the previous day WOD.

10 killers with 4 kg in each hand. Really I have yet to feel comfortable with this exercise!

5 GHR with some hand support

20 sec sprint at the treadmill elevated 16 degrees. I am looking forward making my own tire.