FSP Warm Up

Started by Quick Start Test Smith, February 27, 2011 · 13 Replies · 4,510 Views

Quick Start Test Smith

Hi, I've been doing an FSP warm up before each of my WOD sessions, and since they provide a challenge in and of themselves, I've noticed an increase of size and strength since adding them. Plus they're fun and get me nice and warmed up. I always feel better after doing them.

So I just need to make sure that the FSP WU routine I've been doing is correct.

This is it:

60 second arch hold

60 second hollow hold

60 second plank

60 second reverse plank

60 second planche lean

60 second left side plank

60 second right side plank

60 second wall handstand

I do each one in a 2x30s with 30-45 seconds rest between sets. Is that too much rest?

Blairbob

Maybe too much rest. Depends per individual.

You're forgetting the hangs.

Quick Start Test Smith
Blairbob said:
Maybe too much rest. Depends per individual.

You're forgetting the hangs.

Yeah, 45 seconds did seem too long. I'll make it 30 seconds.

Do you mean the German hangs or the "chin up" hangs?

Cole Dano

PB Support hold, Straight arm hang, German hang to start.

Razz

-You're doing PL lean but no FL.

-You shouldn't really need rest, just superset the opposites (i.e. arch and hollow holds) all the way through and you should be fine.

Quick Start Test Smith

Perfect, thanks!

Lesseee...

A1 - 3x20 second arch hold

A2 - 3x20 second hollow hold

B1 - 2x30 second plank

B2 - 2x30 second reverse plank

C1 - 3x20 second left side plank

C2 - 3x20 second right side plank

D1 - 2x30 second wall handstand

D2 - 2x30 second planche lean

E1 - 2x30 second PB support hold

E2 - 3x20 second straight arm hang

German hangs tend to make my elbows hurt. Not during, but the day afterwords. I'm adding Ido's shoulder and scapula routines daily, that may help. For now, I don't think my elbows could handle them daily.

Razz, FL FSP? What section of the book is that in?

Can all this be done 4x/week because that would be awesome. 8)

Blairbob

Tight shoulders=elbow and wrist problems.

Scale the german hangs to feet on mat as assist.

Quick Start Test Smith
Blairbob said:
Tight shoulders=elbow and wrist problems.

Scale the german hangs to feet on mat as assist.

You must be right because I have painful wrists as well. I'll add the scaled german hangs, Slizzardman's shoulder stuff, and Coach's wrist routine before FSP's.

Blairbob

I was told by one of my teachers, a chiropractor, that a lot of my wrist problems have to do with how they are connected to my elbow and shoulders.

Tight shoulders just has a trickle down effect.

Razz
Patrick Smith said:
Razz, FL FSP? What section of the book is that in?

It's at the seminars ;) Start with just a hang or tuck FL if you're strong enough. There's more to it but that should help together with what you have. Also I can imagine just doing a supine row hang with scaps retracted and feet elevated to shoulder height would be a good thing to work.

Quick Start Test Smith
Razz said:
Patrick Smith said:
Razz, FL FSP? What section of the book is that in?

It's at the seminars ;) Start with just a hang or tuck FL if you're strong enough. There's more to it but that should help together with what you have. Also I can imagine just doing a supine row hang with scaps retracted and feet elevated to shoulder height would be a good thing to work.

:lol:

Okay. Supine row hand w/ scapula retracted + feet elevated sounds good. Thanks!

Quick Start Test Smith
Blairbob said:
I was told by one of my teachers, a chiropractor, that a lot of my wrist problems have to do with how they are connected to my elbow and shoulders.

Tight shoulders just has a trickle down effect.

Yeah, I've been reading the same. People like Mike Robertson and Eric Cressey always say that whenever you experience joint pain, look to the joints above and below that one for the cause.

norbeex3

Hello guys! I can see that the german hang is already on topic so I write down my question here. I can do easily 60s german hangs fully extended on the high bar but it seems that i cannot do them on the rings palms facing down/backwards(the proper way).

It's just that I cannot pull my hands to paralell this way, they tend to rotate out to a neutral position. Could you suggest something to fix this? :\

Quick Start Test Smith

Sorry, Norbeex3, I can't really help you with that. :|

Okay, here's the 4x/week (Mo, Tu, Th, Fr) FSP routine. As you can see, I've lowered the times considerably, but I think that's for the best. In doing the FSP's last week and reading a few FSP threads I realized that the times were way too close to maximal effort. I don't want to get injured. :wink:

I've also switched the planche lean out (D2) for the beginner frog stand.

Hollow holds are difficult for me (I have large and long legs) and I don't want to remove them, but I'm not sure if I should do them AND the L-sit. I think I may add it in at the end...

FSP WARMUP:

A1 - 6x10 second arch hold

A2 - 6x10 second hollow hold

B1 - 3x20 second plank

B2 - 3x20 second reverse plank

C1 - 4x15 second left side plank

C2 - 4x15 second right side plank

D1 - 6x10 second wall handstand

D2 - 6x10 second frog stand (beg.)

E1 - 3x20 second PB support hold

E2 - 3x20 second straight arm hang

F1 – 4x15 second german hang w/ feet resting on floor

F2 – 4x15 second supine row hold w/ retracted scapulas and elevated feet (to be added soon)

G1 - 6x10 second L-sit tuck