search query help

Started by swarovski, February 24, 2011 · 4 Replies · 3,642 Views

swarovski

george or anyone else who knows, how do I search for 2 or more words in the same post?

Place + in front of a word which must be found and - in front of a word which must not be found. Put a list of words separated by | into brackets if only one of the words must be found. Use * as a wildcard for partial matches.

I've tried any syntax I could think of, but I haven't been able to figure it out.

I mean, what should I write in order to find every post that contain several keywords in any given order? and what about an exact phrase?

whatever I write only the first word is considered.

thanks

George Launchbury

Hi,

The phpBB search function has been described as "unsophisticated" and it doesn't seem to work as I would expect ...and they seem to have placeholder content in the documentation for using search until it has been written properly...

Have you tried using Google with the site: filter for more complicated searches? For example, the following would search only within gymnasticbodies.com/forum for the exact string "elbow injury" and exclude any results with the string "planche" ...which is probably what you expect to happen!

site:gymnasticbodies.com/forum +"elbow injury" -planche

Sorry to not be any more help...

Cheers,

George.

swarovski

thanks george,

I haven't thought about "site:" something that I only use to search within a given domain, usually when I want to search among italian websites "site:it".

It helps even if not as practical as a built in function.

thanks.

David Barclay

Can I suggest this becomes a sticky, with a more descriptive title? I have some back to find this post a couple of times now, when I have search queries, and I would guess others have as well.

yours,

David

Tarun Suri
George said:
Hi,

The phpBB search function has been described as "unsophisticated" and it doesn't seem to work as I would expect ...and they seem to have placeholder content in the documentation for using search until it has been written properly...

Have you tried using Google with the site: filter for more complicated searches? For example, the following would search only within gymnasticbodies.com/forum for the exact string "elbow injury" and exclude any results with the string "planche" ...which is probably what you expect to happen!

site:gymnasticbodies.com/forum +"elbow injury" -planche

Sorry to not be any more help...

Cheers,

George.

That's genius. I can't believe I haven't considered that before. This will help enormously.