This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 110222

Started by Coach Sommer, February 22, 2011 · 28 Replies · 3,986 Views

Coach Sommer

Perform the following:

3 sets of; MU, 2 Bulgarian Dips, L-sit press shoulder stand, roll fwd into a MU to a shoulder stand, negative Reverse MU down to an inverted hang, 2 Reverse Cranks, 2 Cranks

5x15 seconds FL

5x15 seconds XR Strap HS

5x15 seconds German Hang

Finish the workout with 2x10 Wall Extensions.

notes:

1) Do not rest during the Ring strength series.

2) Strive to perform the MUs with an emphasis on strength; keeping the kipping minimized or preferably eliminated all together. Be especially conscientious in locking your arms and turning out the rings at the top of each repetition

3) Progressions for developing the XR shoulder stand are found in the Basic Ring Strength 3 essay.

4) You may use the feet on the straps to slow your descent during the negative Reverse MU.

5) Use the position of your choice during the Cranks and Reverse Cranks that allows you to control the extension while still being challenging.

6) Complete all 3 sets of the ring strength series prior to beginning the static hold position sets.

7) Rest at least 3-5 minutes between ring strength sets.

8 ) Perform the static hold sets as a single giant set; perform a set of FL, then move immediately to the XR Strap HS and then move immediately to the German Hang.

9) A short rest (30-60 sec) is allowed during the static hold positions work only after a single giant set has been completed.

Michael Traynor

Ring Strength Day! I feel awesome! Excited! Can't wait to work out!

But I have to pick people up from the airport and then go for dinner and socialise and not work out...woe is me :(

Thanks for the awesome WOD Coach!

Leandro

I'm very anxious to do this wod. I wonder how I will handle the negative reverse MU.

Alvaro

Finally I am able to train in a regular basis!. Lately I could only train like one day/week some times less than that (family obligations!). I´ve been able to finish the last 3-4 WODs. In this one:

3 X:

MU negative (like incline MU with legs on the floor) and then up again (not to full XR support, but the transition feels a bit better), then 2 normal dips on dip station (arms parallel to the ground, no very deep yet but improving), shoulder stand, MU (like the first one) and then shoulder stand, negative MU with legs on the straps braking a lot (that way is not so extreme on the biceps), 2 tic-toc (tucked) on the rings.

5x15 seg tuck FL (slighly better, I feel the shoulder blades feel better trying to be retracted)

5x15 regular HS on the floor, trying to have a correct alignment and for moments some free standing.

5x15 german hang, finally full 15 sec, usually at 12 I am out, not this time. Unable to pull from the death hang (yet :wink: )

2x10 wall extension.

Josh Schmitter

-3 x Ring Strength 1: no muscle up(subbed 3 dips/3pulls) and no roll back. Was surprised and happy I could pull off 3 full ROM dips after yesterday. 4min rest.

-5x15s Tuck front lever: focusing on retracting shoulder blades. Makes it much harder, but I agree with omegant that it feels 'better'

-5x15ishs HS on floor: couple rounds were a little less than 15s, or just a bunch of kick ups...but I didn't push it since i'm still a little fried from yesterday's push work.

-5x15s German hang foot support.

1x10 wall slides(did another set earlier in the morning as it is now part of my wake up routine)

Joshua Naterman

Woohoo! I'm excited! I'll be doing this as soon as I get home from school. Actually, now that I have permission to bring rings to school... muahahahaha!

Josh Schmitter

slizz coming back from the dead :). Good to see ya.

Justin Kyle

Warm up:

Handstands and running

2 sets of XR L-sit 15 sec + 15 second XR support hold

WOD:

3x5 Theraband cross pulls (rest 3-5 minutes between sets)

3 sets of ring strength: MU, 2 bulgarian dips, L-sit press to HS, lower to shoulderstand, fwrd roll MU to shoulderstand, negative reverse MU, 2 reverse cranks, 2 cranks in adv. tuck FL.

5x15sec adv. tuck FL

5x15 sec ring HS (on high rings in the gym - feet inside straps and rings turned out)

5x15 sec german hang

*I go to school at UTC and we may be getting a gymnastics club team here which would be AWESOME! I work at TAG gymnastics and the head coach there, Larry, said he would coach us. I'm pretty pumped about it! About the workout, presses to handstand on rings are feeling easier now. I still have to bend my arms to press into it but hopefully i'll be able to straighten them out soon. God bless guys

Joshua Naterman

Ultra PR day!!!

3 rounds: Wide L muscle up, 2 Bulgarian dips, L sit, press to SS, L sit, forward roll to MU to SS, negative reverse MU with feet on the inside of the straps, and 2 full lay cranks. I am not ready for BL work yet, but soon.

I will do my statics later, I had to run home.

Well, this was surprisingly easy. I was holding the SS completely off of my body, it felt like I could have done an XR HSPU if I wanted to. Progress is far beyond what I expected. Nearly no forward lean in the MU. This was also the first time I have ever successfully performed a forward roll to MU! All in all a perfect day.

Patrick Angelo Sardilli

Warmup:

10 minutes of Light Rowing

12 Shoulder Dislocate

5 Pullups

2 Muscle Ups

WOD:

3 Sets:

- Wide Muscle Up

- 2 Bulgarian Dips

- L-Sit Press to Shoulder Stand

- Roll forward to Muscle Up to Shoulder Stand

- Negative Reverse Muscle Up

- 2 Reverse Cranks

- 2 Ball Ups

Rest 5 mins

5 Rounds:

15s Front Lever (Tuck)

15s XR Strap HS

15s German Hang on Bar

Rest 2 mins

Finish with 2 x 10 Wall Extensions

Had trouble focusing on second part too much stuff happening everywhere.

xnbN0o0t6TY

Stewart Whaley

60 sec arch and hollow

60s frogstand 60 rev PL

5 falsegrip pullups

2 slow XR dips

3 sets of;

3 false grip pullups to foot-supported transition to support then

MU negative.

After 3rd rep jump to support, pause then press to shoulder stand to reverse MU to inv hang,

to 3 sec GH and pull out to 3 sec tuck FL.

3x15 seconds tuck FL, XR Support,German Hang

Finish the workout with 2x10 Wall Ext

Kenneth Manning

3 sets of:

MU-->2 bulg dips-->L sit press SS-->forward roll to invert-->invert to MU-->SS to negative reverse MU-->2 reverse cranks full lay-->2 cranks adv tuck (tuck on last set)

5 sets of:

MU-->backward toll-->adv tuck FL (15 sec)--BL (3 sec)-->german hang (15 sec); drop from rings then XR support (15 sec)

wall extensions x 10, 9+1

pogo69
slizzardman said:
Nearly no forward lean in the MU. This was also the first time I have ever successfully performed a forward roll to MU!

I'll drink to that... congrats!! the fwd roll to MU is next in my sights after I further eliminate the lean and residual kip in my MU.

Mark Wyly

In watching videos I made of all three sets, i find lots areas of focus for technique and critique... buuut I also am seeing improvements in ring movements since beginning these excercises in October.

3 rounds of ring strength series with 3 minutes rest as prescribed, apparatus I used wasn't optimal for SS but I managed.

Video of third round:

JBIh_hTvREY

followed by 5 rounds of static holds as recommended.

Thnx Coach, great way to break up a looooooong work day!

Joshua Naterman
pogo69 said:
slizzardman said:
Nearly no forward lean in the MU. This was also the first time I have ever successfully performed a forward roll to MU!

I'll drink to that... congrats!! the fwd roll to MU is next in my sights after I further eliminate the lean and residual kip in my MU.

Thanks! Apparently bulgarian dips and the swinging dips from before were too much for my shoulder, I have some pretty sharp pain in the front. I will have to take things a bit more slowly, but it's not a big deal. It is easier now that I know how much strength I am gaining just on my rehab routine!

Alvaro
slizzardman said:
Ultra PR day!!!

3 rounds: Wide L muscle up, 2 Bulgarian dips, L sit, press to SS, L sit, forward roll to MU to SS, negative reverse MU with feet on the inside of the straps, and 2 full lay cranks. I am not ready for BL work yet, but soon.

I will do my statics later, I had to run home.

Well, this was surprisingly easy. I was holding the SS completely off of my body, it felt like I could have done an XR HSPU if I wanted to. Progress is far beyond what I expected. Nearly no forward lean in the MU. This was also the first time I have ever successfully performed a forward roll to MU! All in all a perfect day.

HATE U! :twisted:

Mark Wyly

Great post tsoonami. Your videos keep me inspired d with things t improve in my own practice! Thnx!

Joshua Naterman

That was beastly, Tsoon! Great negative reverse MU!

John Sapinoso

Thanks guys, happy training!

Eddie Stelling

3 sets of ring strength:

MU, 2 bulgarian dips, L-sit press to shoulder stand, fwrd roll MU to shoulderstand, negative reverse MU, 2 reverse cranks full lay, 2 cranks in adv. tuck FL.

Couldn't help myself and had to do my gym's WOD:

75 pullups (used kipping variation)

5 rope climbs (15')

50 ring dips

5 rope climbs (15')

25 toes to bar

750m row

*Around pull up #50 I jumped up on one of the higher bars at my gym (about 18"-20" jump to reach the bar), pulled up to do a rep and the bar broke. My feet went out in front of me and I took about a 5' free fall straight to concrete on my right hip. OUCH!!! Took a min to shake it off and finished the workout with the best time in the gym. :) Thought I would share!

Went home ate some food and did:

WU: Ido's Shoulder Routines

FSP:

4x15s Straddle L (low)

3x25s tuck FL

2x60s Adv. Frog stand

1x60s reverse push up

3x22s Adv. Tuck BL

3x20s L-sit (floor)

3x25s PL lean

1x45s, 1x30s XR-support

Mark Wyly

@Eddie. Nice wod. Do u always do fsp after wod? I endup doing that most the time b/C I have to, and have wondered if doing fsp beforeor after was more recommended then the other?j

Eddie Stelling

Thanks man. No not usually. My schedule has been jacked up this week so I have had to piece together my workouts the best that I can. I usually do my FSPs before the WOD; however, it felt awesome to do the ring series first. I felt so strong, it was incredible how much difference it made. I have done this once before and it was also on a ring strength series day, I think from now on I will do them after the ring strength series workouts.

I didn't have it in me to do the prescribed statics coach gave us after doing my FSP, also due to the other WOD I did. Which brings me to this question.... This is still a gray area for me as far as what to do with your FSPs on the days coach gives us FSP sets??? Do we do both (i.e. 3x25s tuck FL in my FSP and 5x15s FL from the WOD) or incorporate them into our FSP routine such that you are replacing your sets with the ones he prescribes (i.e. only do 5x15s for FL work)?