Strain on Bicep

Started by Mark Bernacchi, February 20, 2011 · 4 Replies · 3,099 Views

Mark Bernacchi

I started some Gymnastic Strength Training™ and doing the WODs and joint preparation at the beginning of January, and just in the last 2 weeks or so I have been having some strain in my right bicep while doing german hangs and back lever tucks. It is not very painful, but feels like a single line that is going all the way down the muscle.

At first I thought I was unbalanced and was using my right arm more(it is my stronger one), but I recently read the thread on ideal muscle tissue quality( http://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=5629 ) and it made me notice that my right bicep has many more knots and "cords." I have done german hangs on a straight bar in front of a mirror and there is no visual imbalance.

My question is am I possibly putting more weight on it/creating an imbalance, or do I simply need to work out the knots more, or do I need to let it rest, or a combination or those? While both my arms have had hypertrophy in the last two months, the right bicep does appear to have grown a little more as well.

Thanks alot!

Mats Trane

I´ve lately had similar problem. When I do backlever/German hang I get a pain in my right bicept/inner elbow.

Any tips on what it might be and what to do about it?

Worries me a bit.

Joshua Naterman

You are most likely in need of soft tissue work. Active release stretching for the biceps can really work wonders.

I think I have some biceps tendonosis up on the shoulder attachments, and that is a bit hard to get at, but I seem to be making slow but steady progress with active release work in the area, both in the tendon and around the muscles.

Just make a false insertion and stretch against it. Take your left fist and push your knuckles into your right bicep about 3/4 of the way up the muscle. Do this while the arm is bent and somewhat relaxed. Now use your knuckles to press the bicep against the bone and push it towards the shoulder. While holding this pressure start straightening the arm. You will feel a stretch almost right away, and it will be centered on where your knuckles are creating the false insertion point. You can use this technique all the way up and down any muscle belly that you can put directional pressure on. You will want to do this once or twice a day, but you should see some pretty quick results in terms of your tissue quality and how your statics feel.

Mats Trane

Thanks Slizz

Will try it and give feedback.

Joshua Naterman

No problem, I hope it helps. My tendon problem, assuming that's what it is (feels right), is a bit more serious as mine is where you have the most common ruptures. Inner elbow is not as big of a deal, just be safe with it and seek professional help if you can't fix it yourself!