one tight shoulder, handstands and front levers

Started by learningtofly, February 18, 2011 · 2 Replies · 2,285 Views

learningtofly

Hello everyone,

First time I post here, but already learnt a lot from this great forum (especially astonished by Slizzardman dedication…).

By the way sorry for my English (I’m french).

To make it short, I just wanted to share a recent experience with a kind of “step back†on front levers (could almost hold it on rings) probably because of my work trying opening my shoulders for better handstands and shoulder health. I realized how I was tight and what it is to stretch and learn to re-loosen them (minor pec, one of the biceps, serratus etc), and it's now a priority. Even learning to raise arm keeping the femoral head low for example, especially the right arm (handled too much day loads and bad habits surely)…

Has anyone had a experience with that, struggling to “heal†a tight shoulder and loosing a bit on strength statics that somehow “appreciate†tight shoulders.

I don’t see so many vids on youtube from non-gymnasts guys mastering both opened / straight handstands and front levers…

Blairbob

with gymnasts, yes. but sometimes gaining flexibility in a ROM vs losing strength can be desired especially for better skill technique

learningtofly

Thanks for the answer :D

It’s definitely the path I choose. I just wasn’t expecting a temporary effect of that magnitude.

Well, I guess this is why I love those progression steps and gymnastic in general : a continuous multi-dimensional learning process...