This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 110218

Started by Coach Sommer, February 18, 2011 · 14 Replies · 2,570 Views

Coach Sommer

K7DaRCQh0lY

Perform:

1x10 Cast Wall Walks

1x5 Pike Box Press HS

1x10 Straddle Box Press HS

10 minutes of HS Wall Runs

Finish with 2x10 Wrist Pushups

notes:

1) Rest 1-2 minutes between Press HS sets.

2) If Cast Wall Walks are insufficiently challenging, you may perform PL Wall Walks instead. The key difference between these two variations is that the hands will remain behind the shoulders at all times during the descent and ascent of the PL Walks, whereas in the Cast Wall Walks the hands are directly under the shoulders.

3) Remember to adjust the height as necessary during the Box Press HS variations to ensure that the presses are sufficiently challenging.

4) If you cannot press to HS, then press to HeS.

5) If you are strong enough, replace the Box Press HS variations with Press HS from an L-sit on parallets or PBs.

6) If you exceptionally strong, perform the Press HS variations on the XR.

7) Rest 3-5 minutes

8 ) Spend 10 minutes performing HS Wall runs. Time spent resting does not count toward the 10 minute total. Strive to perform the 10 minutes of HS Wall Runs in as few sets as possible.

9) Rest as necessary, but strive to keep rest periods to an absolute minimum. Unless you are already extremely well conditioned gymnastically, this should be a very challenging workout.

10) You may increase the intensity of the HS Wall Runs by lifting a straight arm up to the hips during each step rather than merely touching the shoulder.

Uzeeh

This is going to be my first WOD. I can do about a minute, rarely minute and a half, of a handstand against a wall, and some 15 seconds freestanding. I tried the press headstand and I don't have enough pancake/pike flexibility to do it properly with straight legs. Should I add some more cast wall walks to the routine or something? Or would doing the press headstand without straight legs be better? I am working on getting my pike better by doing Slizzardman's pike stretching routine, some five times a week.

Michael Traynor

Do press headstands instead :)

Uzeeh

I said that I can't do proper press headstands because of insufficient flexibility, and asked if doing them without straight legs would be good. Your reply was... Well, let's say that I didn't get a good answer ;)

Michael Traynor

ops I read, I can't do proper press handstands.

Can you kick up to headstand and slowly lower your legs? Press headstand negative.

Is it your hamstring flexibility that is lacking? If so exactly how much would you have to bend your legs, doing them with slightly bent legs is better than not doing them as this variation or press headstand is going to be working your core primarily and preparing that for the harder exercises, if you were going to substitute extra wall walks that would be far more work through the shoulder girdle and less active work through the core which would be less ideal.

Can you link Slizz's article on Pike flexibility, I haven't seen it, couldn't find it and it would be an interesting read.

Uzeeh

I can kick into a headstand and lower slowly with bent legs. In fact, with bent legs, I could do press headstands for 3-6 reps with bent legs. They seemed really fun and hit my core quite hard.

I don't have Slizz's routine, but it consisted of leg kicks, standing pike stretching, and then the seated one, plus some other things.

My workout today was like this:

2x2 cast wall walks

1x5 press to headstands

1x5 straddle press to headstands

2x20s wall handstands, tapping the feet off for about 10 s at a time

The cast wall walks were absolutely brutal for me. I hadn't tried them before properly, and they were very hard to do. The headstand presses didn't seem like as much of a shoulder exercise as a triceps exercise, though I did feel them in my shoulders, too - it's just that the cast wall walks made anything else seem like child's play ;) I was surprised at how hard the handstands were after the other exercises.

The WOD seemed great, will be doing these in the future, too! I still have to wait for my rings to come (My home-made PVC-and-chain ones broke from cold a week ago), but then it's all set.

Kenneth Manning

Today's workout was an odd one for me -- I have a bit of a sinus infection, nothing too big, but for whatever reason turned in my best workout of this specific WOD yet to date.

Cast wall walks 8, 5 (best form for these yet, nice small steps and straight body line [mostly])

pike press HeS (head on 8" block) 5,5,5,5,4,4

straddle press HeS (head on 2" block) 5,5

HS wall runs 7 sets x 60 sec, 3 sets x 50 sec -- one minutes rest between each for first 5, 1.5 min for 6-8, and 2 minutes for 8-10

wrist pushups x 10,10

-I have been stagnant as far as progress goes on cast wall walks over the last few workouts. Today they felt much more solid as I had a greater "push" from my shoulders than previously

-after warm ups, I decided just for the heck of it to try a pike wall press box HS (20" box). Before today, I got as far as staring at my feet in the HS position and trying to "will" them off the box, to no avail. Today, I did 3 singles, felt amazing.

-straddle press HeS was an issue today; normally 10 reps with a head elevation of 2" is no problem, but for whatever reason, on the eccentric phase, my flexibility was severely lacking. Honestly felt like something was going to "pop." Oh, well, need to do more stretching next time

and finally.... wall HS runs are still so very brutal. I'm making improvements, but these are definitely one of those exercises that tests one's will. You know you're giving it your all when during the last few sets you don't have much control coming down from the wall!

Great workout.

John Sapinoso

Tried something different filming my WOD today.

a9a3zmWsKXw

Without music/copyright blocks

G-wOQRQYgdQ

Must admit, not my best work, but the process was something fun that I'll revisit on a future WOD.

David Picó García

ha, ha, nice video and nice song (and very fitting :P )

Patrick Angelo Sardilli

WU:

10 mins Easy Rowing

12 Shoulder Dislocate

WOD:

1 x 10 Cast Wall Walks

Rest 2 mins

1 x 5 Pike Press HS (Box; 50")

Rest 2 mins

1 x 10 Straddle Press HS (Box; 30")

Rest 5 mins

10 mins of HS Wall Runs (2 mins on; 1 min off)

Finish with 2 x 10 Wrist Pushups.

Daniel Jorgensen

Does anyone have tips on an exercise somewhere between Press HeS and Box Press HS?

I find doing 5 pike and 10 straddle Press HeS quite too easy, but press HS way too hard (Haven't with shoulderhigh boxes, though).

How about wall spottet Press HS? (putting the neck to the wall) Does it have a carry over effect?

Michael Miskelly
Does anyone have tips on an exercise somewhere between Press HeS and Box Press HS?

Elevate your head on the Press HeS. Simply resting your head on something 3 or 4 inches above your hands while doing the press headstands will increase the difficulty. You will eventually get to the point where your head is elevated to a point where your arms are close to straight and at that point can start box press HS. You could also try the neck against the wall as you suggested but you must be sure not to be pushing with your head to help initiate the press. I think I read somewhere that coach said your traps/upperback should be the only thing pressed into the wall at the bottom of the press, but I cant remember the thread I saw that in. I would recommend the elevated head press HeS before trying the back/neck assisted option.

Daniel Jorgensen

Thanks!!

Jason Stein
killroy70 said:
Today, I did 3 singles, felt amazing.

Hey man, big congrats.

Tsoonami, thanks for the vid...that was very entertaining and some strong work!

best,

jason

Gerald Mangona

WOD - 110218

Perform:

1x10 Cast Wall Walks

1x5 Pike Box Press HS

1x10 Straddle Box Press HS

10 minutes of HS Wall Runs

Finish with 2x10 Wrist Pushups

FSP Warmups

FSP Plank 2 x 15s

FSP Reverse Plank 2 x 15s

FSP Assisted Chin Hang 2 x 15s

FSP XR Support RTI 2 x 15s

FSP Arch 2 x 30s

FSP Hollow Arch 2 x 30s

FSP Diamond PushUp Hold 3 x 20s

Tricep Extension (2lbs.) - Each Arm 30

Plank Leans (for bicep tendon) 60s

Rice Bucket Circles (each arm/direction)2 x 25

Rice Bucket Squeezes 2 x 10

Pre-WOD Strength Work

Pull-up Sets - 1 set, 5 rounds, 2 reps each 2-2-2-2-2

WOD

Modified Wall Walks (knees on couch walking out and back) 10

5 Modified HSPU (knees on couch, hips piked, almost vertical) 5

10 Modified HSPU (Knees on couch, hands few feet out-45 degrees)10

Press to HeS Prep (yoga pose HeS against wall, knees tucked) 5+3

Modified Wall Runs (Standing, pike position) 10 min

1 min. on 30s off

Post-WOD Prehab

Dorsal Push-Ups (against wall) 10

Wrist Push-Ups - Fingers In (against wall) 25

Wrist Push-Ups - Fingers Out (against wall) 25

Finger Push-ups 10

Finger Hops 10

Notes

This WOD was tough. Started to add Press to HePU prep by getting into yoga headstand against wall, walking my feet forward as much as possible and then getting into tuck position and opening the shoulders to bring body toward wall.

First time trying Wall Runs. Modified them by doing them standing on tip toes and with hand on floor, body piked as much as possible. Remember to lean forward and to engage trap muscles for full extension with each arm change.

No straight arm work on any of the FSPs other than plank lean.

On the Press to HePU prep, after failure, kick in to HeS and do negatives.

Start adding second round of pull-ups. Rest 5 minutes between rounds.

For mod. wall runs, change to 30s on/15s off. Touch same shoulder next time.