Shoulder injury (/sigh)

Started by AJ Ruffer, February 15, 2011 · 3 Replies · 2,792 Views

AJ Ruffer

It irks me to no end that I have to make an injury post here =(

So the other day, I wanted to get up over this railing. Looking at it, I thought cool, straight bar MU and I'm over it. Not cool, as I wasn't warmed up. During the transition, about 1/4 or 1/3 the way from the outside of my shoulder toward my neck there was this sick snapping/popping sound - sounded a bit like cartilage.

Symptoms:

I still have full ROM with no pain during movement. Sometimes there is a very very dull/distant ache, almost like it isn't there. When I actually put torque/pressure on my shoulder through my arm, a VERY sharp pain. This only happens in certain arm positions. Chinups/Pullups are out. Pushing down dosen't bother it - pushups and the like are OK.

I've googled around to try and find what this is, but none of the symptoms completely fit something. This has been going on for three weeks (resting the whole time, split some wood about 1.5 weeks ago and reaggravated it).

Anybody have any insight or suggestions?

Fryk

I have messed up my shoulder and it took me a long while to get a diagnosis and find proper care. In my case, the actual injury was only a symptom of an underlying cause. In any case it does sound like there has been been some damage to tissues.

If the problem persists you might want to look into getting proper care ie. find a good PT or perhaps an orthopedic surgeon. It is hard to diagnose a problem over the internet, and treating the injury correctly from the get go is important.

Cole Dano

If you still feel sharp pain after 3 weeks you should get it looked at.

My quick internet guess is strained teres major, teres minor, or latisimus dorsi strain, or tendentious.

braindx

If you haven't already you should ABSOLUTELY see an orthopedic doctor.

Sounds like possibly a torn labrum.

Dull ache, especially inside the joint with sharp pain during movement typically points to a labral issue.

The fact tha pulling movements hurt may suggest some type of SLAP lesion.