Hi, I am 26yrs old, 160lb (72.5kg), 1.84m height with ~11.5% bf. Been training for strength seriously for about 2 years.
(just to point out, before 3-4 years ago I had absolutely no training in gymnastics and before I was 20 years old I was a complete couch potato who did no sports whatsoever, so compared to the average forum poster I'm def. a newbie)
I have been following a paleo diet for the last year, and try to have my biggest meals pre-and post workout, so I think there are no problems on the nutrition/sleep part of training.
I have been trying to build a training program to maximize strength gains while minimize risk of overtraining. I have read several posters recommending very long resting periods for muscle (1 session per week per muscle group), at the same time, I have read that for strength gain, which is my objective (not hypertrophy), the 1-3 rep range per set is ideal for intermediate strength athletes (which is also my case).
This are my last 6 days of training as an example of a typical week:
DAY 1
Chin up 3x10,
Pull ups 3x10,
Weighted swiss ball crunch (10kg) 2x10,
Reverse fly (30kg band) 2x5,
Bicep curl (30kg band) 2x10 each on arm
DAY 2
Ring dips 3x5,
weighted swiss ball crunch (10kg) 2x10,
static handstands (5x 30sec)
DAY 3
Yoga, handstands
DAY 4
Ring Dips (advanced form) 2x3,
HLL static (2x20seg)
Front Lever 2x10sec
DAY 5
Assisted One arm chinups (90 degree angle) 3x3 reps
Weighted pullups (18kg) 2x3 reps
Planche flat tuck (on parallets) 3x10sec hold
L-sit (on parallets) 3x10sec hold
L-sit (on rings) 2x10sec hold
RLL - Wall HS (bad form) 2x3 reps
Wall Runs 2x 1min10sec
Wall Extensions 2x10
DAY 6
15 min HIIT running
10 min random work on rings (german hang, MPPu, L-sit)
My strong points:
good chin up/pull up strength (can chin with 50% added bodyweight), good dip strength, good oblique strength (can hold the flag for 10sec)
My weak points:
Lower back, back lever, can't do a press handstand, very hard to do reverse leg lifts without head support (on a handstand against the wall), planche work is very bad, wrist used to hurt a lot after doing gymnastic skill training (like doing backhandsprings) so I had to stop for the last 6 months and only do strength training (it's gotten better, but still not 100% and I'm afraid of training skill because I don't wanna injure my wrist again)
Questions:
1) How do I better mix exercises for synergistic gains? In BttB's chapter on Integrated training, coach Summers suggests pairing "embedded back work" with it's respective "pulling variations"... what does that mean?
2) How many days of rest for each muscle group?
3) Can it be optimal to do certain exercises every day (or at least 4-5 days of the week) like wall runs, for example? When I go to my local gymnastics training facility, I see many of the top athletes train some exercises (strength, not skill) every day, especially abdominal work (L-sits and stuff) and lots of handstand work...
4) How to better train my weak points.
Thanks!