I'm editing this post to update progress in case people don't have the time to read through the entire thread:
I've back off handstand training and i'm focusing on building shoulder strength and flexibility for the next 4 weeks before I return to training it. In the mean time, I cooked up a hybrid gymnastics-weightlifting-steady state cycle program in an attempt to combat the plateau I talked about in my original post. Basically, I picked 3 exercises that I wanted to improve and combined the FSPs with other weight training or bodyweight training to develop the muscles involved in the exercise. The workouts are as follows - critique away.
Muscle up workout:
1)MUx2 (dead hang to rings-turned-out support position) for 8 sets, resting 1.5 min between sets
2)MU transition training with the basketball - got this idea from Fritz in a different thread. 5 sets of 4 reps, 2 min rest between sets
3)tempo L-pullup - 213. 5 sets of 5 reps. 2 min rest between sets
4)v-grip pulldown - 150lbs, 5 sets of 6-8 reps. 2 min rest between sets
planche workout:
1)flat tuck planche holds on the ground for a total of 60s in as few sets as possible (it took me 6-7 sets) 45s rest between sets.
2)elevated pseudo planche pushups - 5 sets of 5, 2.5 min rest. Last 2 sets were 3 reps
3)this exercise is tricky to explain, but here goes... I laid down on a bench and took a barbell with a palms-backward grip (opposite of the way you'd normally bench press) and lowered it with straight arms to my groin/quad area and then brought it back up to about a 70 degree angle from the floor. I did 5 sets of 10 reps with only the barbell as weight.
4)planche holds with my feet on an exercise ball. i held for 5 seconds and 4 sets of 5 reps.
Front ever workout:
1)single leg front lever holds on a bar for a total of 60s in as few sets as possible. (after the first 2 sets, my form became terrible so I used flat tuck instead. finished in 6 sets) 45s rest between sets.
2) dragon flag with straddled legs - 5 sets of 8 reps, last 2 sets i only got 5 reps. 2 min rest between sets.
3) another made up exercise... i laid face down on a bench and took a 20 lb dumbbell in each hand and with palms facing toward the ceiling, i tried to lift and hold them as high as possible. I used a 2-1-3 tempo for this as well. 3 sets of 6, 2 min rest between sets.
4) couldnt think of a 4th exercise... i was grasping at straws for the third...
I intend to do these workouts on back to back days, ie MU on day 1, PL on day 2 and FL on day 3, starting again with MU on day 4. I'm starting my second MU workout today... we'll see how it goes.
ORIGINAL POST Below:
Hey all,
I'm a long time lurker, first time poster. I got into gymnastics for strength training 5 months ago using Coach Sommer's book and I'm pretty sure I'm never going back. My background is primarily weight lifting (olympic and power lifting with crossfit at one point) over the last 6 years. I'm heavily into rugby, so my weight lifting focused on squats and deadlifts, which puts me at a disadvantage for many gymnastics type things. Couple this with low flexibility, and you now understand why I'm here to make sure I'm on the right track ![]()
I set myself a goal at the beginning of the year to be able to do a freestanding handstand pushup by the end of the year which I'm diligently working towards (about 2-3 10 to 15 min sessions per week of handstand practice). However, after 2 months, I don't seem to be making much headway and I'm suffering from the same issues that have plagued me from the beginning. While doing stomach to wall handstands and trying to lift my feet off the wall, I frequently over-balance and end up going into a roll. Front and side view videos are posted below:
Handstand front view
8Jl2CSzCPaM
Handstand side view:
elMKY214PXk
At the beginning of the side view, I'm demonstrating my shoulder range of motion. Initially, I thought that low range of motion may be affecting my balance, but after seeing the video, I don't think it should be an issue. I show the position of my arms while attempting to maintain a straight back, and then I show the position of my back after lining up my arms with my legs.
As far as technique goes, from my understanding the idea is to try and line up your body in a straight line and keep the balance on the upper part of your palm (where callouses form) while using the fingers to correct balance if it goes forward. I'm attempting to keep my core tight, legs together and I'm pushing my arms straight with no bend in my elbow.
For reference, I am 5'8" and 184 lbs. Body fat is around 8-10%.
At the risk of making this post too long for anyone to care about, I'd also like some recommendations on methods to progress further. I seem to have reached a plateau after 5 months of training, but my current progress is as follows:
front lever - single leg (either side) - 15s hold
back lever - full - 20s+ hold (I did a pull to inverted at 20s, but felt like I could have held it for much longer)
planche - flat tuck on parallettes - 20s+ hold (lost it at 20s trying to press to HS, but could have held it for a bit longer)
L-sit - 15s hold on floor (I suffer greatly from low flexibility on this one)
XR support - 60s+
MU - x2 with no kip, x4 with minor kip, x5-6 with major kip
These are maximums as performed as individual exercises, and I'm 99% sure I'm using proper form based on videos and pictures. The only exercise I'm a little unsure about is the support hold, but that's because I don't understand what it means to rest on your lats. However, elbows are locked and hands are turned outward slightly.
I discovered a few weeks ago that the ability to perform these exercises individually is very different from performing them as a series on rings. I was pretty humbled by that revelation after watching videos of the ring series WODs from a few members on here and attempting them myself later on.
A typical workout for me followed the killroy70 template. However, I'm finding now that I have been stuck at flat tuck planche for over 2 months, and a straddle FL seems pretty shaky after a couple sets. I've started seriously training muscle ups to get strong enough to do a forward roll to muscle up, but I'm not sure how I should design the workouts anymore since I've plateaued with the killroy70 template.
Thanks to anyone who gets through this essay, and double thanks to anyone who can point me in the right direction!