The following is an exerpt of a recent email conversation that I thought you all might benefit from sharing in.
... Sorry to bother you again, but I'll keep this short. Could you please tell me how long do you have your young athletes rest after developing tendonitis? Do they resume their training after recommended 3-6 weeks or when they are pain free?...
I sympathize with your situation, my friend and I understand that you are looking for a cookie cutter, one size fits all answer; however there are none.
Point 1: We never train through pain.
Point 2: We never stop training. Injuries are usually rather movement specific, so if they can't do one thing; there are almost always MANY other things that they can spend their time on.
Point 3: I do not allow them to train again on an injury until they are pain free. However long it takes to heal, is how long we wait. This is why it is so advantageous to always closely monitor your joint health and to never over indulge your ego while training.
Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer