Playing with reps and weight!!

Started by Joshua Chan, February 8, 2011 · 1 Replies · 1,777 Views

Joshua Chan

Hello everyone,

I had a thought the other day reading a bodybuilding article. It basically said that the 3-5 reps range with 80-90% of 1rep-max worked on maximal strength without much muscle mass gain, something I believe it's pretty clear on the forum, also Coach explains this on the "Why 3-5 reps?" topic. Now, the traditional 8-12 reps( 3 series) does not help on increasing maximal strength but it causes sarcoplasmic hypertrophy, an increase on muscle mass. My thought is this: What would happen if you first gained muscle form the 8-12 reps range and 60-80% of 1-rep max and then making that muscle much stronger by using the 3-5 reps range??? I know it's kind of a silly thought, but certainly no harm will come from it.

Maybe the strength to weight ratio would suffer a bit, I'm not sure. I have a deep respect for the members of this forum and their knowledge when it come of strength training, so please, share what you think.

Thank you

ashita

Sounds interesting, try it and you'll know what will happen :wink: :D