Someone had ripped off gymnastic rings....

Started by Longshanks, February 8, 2011 · 15 Replies · 7,024 Views

Longshanks

I couldn't believe it when I came across this online.

http://www.fitnessanywhere.com/

They've essentially made a very cheaply made version of gymnastic rings and charged a fortune for them. It shows a few exercises that I think Coach Sommer's youngest athletes would be insulted if he asked them to perform them. I don't know about anyone else but just seeing this made me very angry, especially his statement in the video about it being his own revolutionary idea. He's cheapened a brilliant tool and made a mockery of gymnastics in my opinion.

Cole Dano

Yeah they are so overpriced, i was really disappointed when i saw that Pavel made a video with them.

I don't have an issue with the concept, they have their place, but the hype, not so much. Hey Lifeline makes the same thing, only better (two attachment points) for much less. Even then the Xtreme Rings are a much better value.

Well, its been a theme with me this week, but i really appreciate the Coach's approach-

'All meat, no B.S.'

jl5555

I'm not sure what you're referring to but that link brings me to the website that sells TRX® equipment. Is that what you're talking about? If you are and unless you have tried that stuff or seen what it can do you'll know that it's no ripoff and clearly Coach has nothing to worry about. My gym (mainstream, non-chain, upscale-type joint) decided last year that TRX® was THE new big thing and they installed several on the gym floor. I was pretty excited at the time as I figured there was some crossover there and I could do quite a bit on them. Wrong!

I don't know who designed it clearly marketing is everything. It would be impossible to do any sort of even basic ring series on them. You cannot do a muscle up or even a good L-hang on them. You can sort of do an L-sit but that is about it. I really don't think your feet are meant to leave the floor very much when using these things.

The design with one attachment point and the hefty adjustment buckles just above the hand grip means that when doing any type of planche movement in them those buckles grind right into your biceps and shoulders. And the mushy handgrips mean you have almost no feel or leverage.

So no worries for Coach here.

Blairbob

TRX has managed to score it's way into many gyms that hold TRX classes and look for TRX training. Part of this, is because it's in demand by the public. Hell, it looks cooler than rings to many people.

Larry Roseman

Ah ... was wondering about those as I've seen them at my club too.

As I started getting into GB I thought that it might do as rings.

I'd feel a bit odd bringing in my own rings to the gym, which I haven't got yet anyway.

The main problem I have is deciding where to hang rings at home.

Is it better through the ceiling (finshed) or somehow using a doorframe?

Erik Sjolin
FutureisNow said:
Ah ... was wondering about those as I've seen them at my club too.

As I started getting into GB I thought that it might do as rings.

I'd feel a bit odd bringing in my own rings to the gym, which I haven't got yet anyway.

The main problem I have is deciding where to hang rings at home.

Is it better through the ceiling (finshed) or somehow using a doorframe?

It is an odd feeling bringing your rings to the gym. I always got a few weird looks when I did, but then I ask if they want to try them, and the weird looks stop. :)

Michael Traynor

I take my rings into the gym at times, when I get lonely training solo and miss the sight of real people, most people just think i'm awesome ;) but then i'm from a small town full of faties.

Those TRX things are horrible, as mentioned the buckles are in a terrible and imovable place and they rip your forearms to pieces. I used to train a personal trainer at the gym with the rings I brought in and she was so impressed that she bought the TRX thinking she could train the same stuff (and because you can hang it in a closed door), she was gutted when she got it and realised how pants it was so I got her a set of Coach's rings as a present. :)

Razz

They had these redcord things at my physio.. was good when there was no rings, but rings would've been 10x better! Both for me and other physio patients I'm sure. Easier to adjust and better material..and cooler :mrgreen:

img

Ahh, the beauty of capitalism... Bad buckles, eh? Well, when we were kids in the sunny Communist Russia, the boys did ring exercises with ordinary ropes. And guess what, it worked!

Uzeeh

I use ordinary blue rope, too. I always get big bruises on my triceps when I do muscle ups with 'em - the rope's too hard, you see - but other than that, they work quite fine.

RatioFitness

This isn't a ripoff of rings, they are pretty different. People that prefer to use TRX probably wouldn't use rings anyway, because they aren't tough enough. :P

Joshua Naterman

Hahaha! You know, personally I LOVE bringing my rings to the gym. For one thing, doing ANYTHING on rings looks cool for some reason!

It also helps that I'm pretty big and now I am pretty lean so everyone is like OMG WTF?! That's so cool!

Of course I rarely take them to the gym nowadays, but I'm going to start again since the GSU gym has changed management and they are no longer giving people a hard time about hanging rings off of a pull up bar!!! *rolls eyes*

It really does seem like everyone I see at the gym is instinctively is drawn to doing ring work when they see the rings. There is something challenging but non-intimidating about them that seems to excite people!

Razz

Haha it was the same in Sweden, during breaks in PICP I'd go work on the rings they had in the gym. When people saw crosses and BLers they were life WTF that's awesome. The big weightlifter guys came over giving me props and asking how they could get into ring training..I of course had my GB tshirt on and referred them to here :D

Animalonfire
Razz said:
I of course had my GB tshirt on

Where can we get the shirt!?

Cole Dano

Mallorca this fall!

Tefached

To me the TRX sucks, it will never beat rings training anyway :D