Can you "lose" shoulder flexibility in the blink of an eye?

Started by Paolo, February 8, 2011 · 2 Replies · 2,250 Views

Paolo

For the past 17 years (or actually ten years I guess) I have always been able to pass the so-called shoulder flebility test for fitness day at my school. I was able to hook my middle and pointer fingers together when I would stretch both sides. After this event that happend about a month ago, I have been incapable of doing it now. My last fitness test was around 4 months ago in August. On January 7th, I went to open gym, to check out the....gym. Anyway, I wanted to work on handstands and handsprings, and I couldn't do any of them without failing. So a coach gives me a suggestion to practice hand hopping. Basically, he said I had to lock my arms completely, or something like that and he claimed it would strengthen my arms. So I try it. First time I tried it, I lost balance and fell back to my feet. Second time I try it, I lose balance and fall forward. Instead of doing a forward roll, I roll on my right side and my right shoulder blade takes the full impact of my fall. I just felt this shock, but I didn't think it was a big deal, so I walk it off and enjoy the rest of my time there. The next day I try stretching my shoulders like that, and now it is not seemingly impossible for me. I am now incapable of touching my fingers when I put them behind my back, which really disgruntled me. How is it possible that I've been able to do it since I've been taking the test every year and now I can't do it anymore?! I thought it would have healed or something by this time (1 month)? Is this serious? Will this impede my training for handstands/pressups or handsprings/general tumbling or strength training? I think I'm more than an inch away; someone has to pull my fingers together to touch.

Thank you for your insight

Cole Dano

Well as you have discovered, it is very possible if there is some sort of trauma.

There is a lot of info here on shoulder maintenance, check that out.

You do need to respect this, right now you haven't really given enough info to make an reasonable assessment, it could be just some bruising to a tear.

Blairbob

stretch, stretch and more stretching. possibly look into some trigger point work

look toward mobilitywod.com for insight on what the heck may have happened. sounds like a possible tear.