Shoulder soreness and weakness

Started by Ryan, February 3, 2011 · 4 Replies · 3,691 Views

Ryan

About a year ago i managed to dislocate both of my shoulders once while skiing and the other while surfing. I went to the doctor shortly after and they said everything was fine, but recently my shoulders have become sore when i do any sort of pressing. I decided to go too the doctor again and I was referred to orthopedics, they did a couple of tests to check for instability and impingement; including x rays. The orthopedist said nothing was wrong and dismissed me. It's getting to the point where i cant even do ten pushups after my handstand warm ups, any thoughts ?

Cole Dano

Interesting, sadly doctors don't always know movement, or the difference between an 'average' person and an athletic one.

I'd want some more details about your history, injury, rehab, training and the onset of this, i'm assuming new pain problem.

Ryan

I ran track collegiately, i started doing the Wods to stay in shape and I'm rather new to gymnastics in general. I started the Wods six months ago and started doing the prehab as well. Although i was never consistent with the prehab exercises i would skip them often. The soreness actually started when i first started the program, but it was never this intense until now. I had always associated it with muscle soreness do to overhead work until recently. The soreness begins when im done with my warmup and rehab and is sore during pressing exercises afterward. After my workouts my shoulder is only sore when i touch it and the soreness is in the anterior deltoid near the acromial head.

aeb4hf.jpg

Cole Dano

OK, i'm going to venture to guess that you are simply progressing too fast with your background.

Some thoughts, NEVER skip the rehab, unload the pushups by doing them on a wall, chair or your knees and also if you are using bands try finding ways to emulate the pushup movement and consciously explore the movement, there are a lot of things happening in a push up which reveal themselves when the shoulders are sensitive.

Having a dislocation history and pain where you say it is, could mean a labral tear. or be simple impingement. In either case the rehab work is vital, and adding load is secondary.

I had this and am still working on getting my push ups to be 100% pain free with good success, but it really does take a boat load of patience. I had to revert to just doing planks for quite some time. Then i added a push up board, which i found really helpful to learn to engage the shoulder girdle correctly.

Ryan

Ok i will scale the workouts more and take the statics much slower, I'll make sure to do all the prehab and rehab. Thanks by the way for responding i appreciate it, was just kind of scary to have any sort of pain.