The Importance of the Thoracic Spine in Shoulder Mechanics

Started by Blairbob, February 1, 2011 · 3 Replies · 2,562 Views

VeganMartin

Thanks for posting that. When I squat down and try to raise my arms above my head I can't even get them as high as the second illustration. I'll read it tomorrow and follow the links.

Blairbob

Ideally one of the first things we would do in the warmup was hang from the high bars and just swing lazy back and forth and do hanging turns on one arm.

As well, we would hang from the rings and swing side to side (like a pommel swing in front support) and swing body circles. Really loosens up shoulders and back and hips.

After that, generally I would lightly pop their backs. From time to time, I will do it for the kids if they get tight. Especially when swinging on apparatus in hang or after tumbling.

VeganMartin

Yes, I'm going to concentrate on increasing my flexibility for just about all of my body.