False Grip Woes

Started by Edward Smith, July 10, 2008 · 6 Replies · 4,276 Views

Edward Smith

Hey Everyone,

I've found I'm getting soreness, actually more pain, in my wrist from Muscle Ups. Obviously as a result of the false grip. I'm just wondering if this is a normal experience for most people and if it requires extra stretching between sets? or just time to adapt to it? or I am doing something wrong?

Thanks.

Edward Smith

I forgot to describe it, it's more in my forearm then in wrist. I am unsure as what movements (twisting, bending, flexing, etc) seem to aggravate it.

Scott Malin

I can only offer personal experience but I had a similar pain (up the forearm from the wrist and just past the elbow along the tendon) from the transitions when I first started doing muscle-ups on the rings. What I found was I'd do the pull-up portion, stick, force my elbows to pop up, and then finish the muscle-up. I did six consecutively like that the first day. Bad idea! After a few days of rest (was very easy to aggravate it :( ) I started going into the transition with more speed/momentum and a bit more forward-lean. Helped a lot. I practiced just hanging from a false grip which helped a bit too.

Brusi

I think you might try some inverted rows with false grip for a few weeks and then try again to see how it is going. :P

kbryk

I use to do false grip l-sit pullups, that was my progression for the muscle up, I would pull my self from the floor since my rings were low with the false grip begin to twist the rings out and hold a l-sit and the middle transition part of the muscle up it worked really well, and if you need a video I'll be kind enough to put one up for you, its a great progression to the muscle up and it helps with the false grip.

I also began to actually have calluses on my wrists and lower outside palm from the false grip work, so yes you will have some pain since you are rolling your body weight on that wrist in a way.

George Launchbury

Hi kbryk,

If you have time, a video would be great. I'm sure a lot of people would find it useful.

Regards,

George.