FSP warm-up, weakling style.

Started by Josh Schmitter, January 28, 2011 · 19 Replies · 5,578 Views

Josh Schmitter

Here's my FSP warm up...a little chopped up on the video. I regularly do 3 sets of:

Plank hold(30s) paired with Reverse Plank(30s)

Hollow(30s) with Arch(25s)

Dead hand(50s) w/ PB support(50s)

My rest times are minimal...enough to grab a bite of greens, protein, and coconut. I have been doing this for about a month and am feeling better with some holds but about the same with others. Thanks in advance for any corrections, comments, shouts, or extreme verbal beatdowns :).

SPlx3tzbdYs

Guest
TANSTAAFL said:
p.s. any idea why the video doesn't show up in this window?

Remove this part: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v= :D

Regarding the video: try to straighten your plank and reverse plank, with neutral pelvis position and flattened upper back. This is not easy! And the hollow hold should be like the inverse of the arch hold (which looks okay to me) - try to straighten your arms and legs in the hollow hold, there should be no 'angles'. Be a bow :D

Josh Schmitter

Many thanks for the quick reply and video help. For the hollow hold I am using the arms straight up/legs bent as I can't hold the fully extended hold for very long. I might play around with 1 day a week swapping in the full hold. The reverse plank I'll have to look at again as I'm not quite sure how to straighten out...is it my lower back that should be flat like a hollow hold?. And I thought the regular plank was supposed to be pushed out like a shrug with the shoulder blades. If that is not the case and I just need to be in a more 'normal' position, man I have been working it way harder than I needed to :).

Thanks again.

phken4343

If you can't extend your arms completely in a hollow hold, I would place my hands next to the hips and work from there. Also, it helps to squeeze your glutes together because it will correct your form.

Guest

I used this thread (a few posts below yours at the moment) as a reference: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5323

The plank, reverse plank, arch and hollow holds can be seen there with great form. I believe that these positions are specifically meant to develop 'body tension awareness' (and basic strength of course) and you should approach them as such.

The hollow hold is the hardest in my opinion and there's no shame at all in doing short holds with correct form (rather than long holds with compromised form). I can hold the planks and the arch position for the required 60s with what I hope is good form but I need 2x30s or maybe even 3x20s for the hollow hold. It's just the way it is but I'm confident it will get better over time.

Josh Schmitter

bloomleg - Thanks for that other link, I don't know how I missed it...well maybe when it was over the months of reading almost the whole forum, printing out hundreds of pages, and slowly going over the edge :). I will start some full holds on the hollow. My arch is probably the toughest hold I have right now, but we'll see when I change my planks around. I would think at least the regular plank would be easier than the way I was doing it. We'll see on monday. I'll try to post some correction videos up soon.

phken - thanks for that as well. I'll play around with it...maybe legs fully extended, arms at hips or straight up. Do you suggest arms at hips inferring that getting the legs out there and straight is more important...just curious.

thanks again.

Blairbob

I generally teach the plank hold with hollow shoulders. However, there are times we teach it with a straight back for certain reasons when casting or swinging.

phken4343

yeah, you definitely need to and should straighten your legs completely, straighten your arms, and place the arm next to (outside) the hips.

Josh Schmitter

Blairbob - would hollow shoulders be how I was doing it in the video, or was that even a little bit much?

phken-Will start trying this tomorrow, thankx.

admonisher

Hi,

I have a question, My self I dont have any parallelle bars yet or paralette. I go in the parc to do my workouts. But on rainy day. I wonder if using the back of 2 chairs is safe to do the parallelle bar static movement he did. I tried on mine and it seems same. Can you do dips also with the back of 2 chairs. with no body sitting on them ? Has anybody had an accident were the chair broke or moved ? and if it move how to crash safely ?

Quick Start Test Smith
admonisher said:
Hi,

I have a question, My self I dont have any parallelle bars yet or paralette. I go in the parc to do my workouts. But on rainy day. I wonder if using the back of 2 chairs is safe to do the parallelle bar static movement he did. I tried on mine and it seems same. Can you do dips also with the back of 2 chairs. with no body sitting on them ? Has anybody had an accident were the chair broke or moved ? and if it move how to crash safely ?

I've always put those big "hurricane style" water jugs (probably about 30-40lbs) on the seats of my chairs when I do dips off them. I think the chairs could handle my weight without the extra weight, but I don't want to take the chance. I weigh about 165-170, though, so if you weigh less or are using extra heavy duty and steady chairs you may not find it necessary. Best thing is to err on the side of caution, as usual.

But I think you should have created a new thread for this question.

admonisher

sorry, yeah i'll create a new thread so I wont pertube this one

Quick Start Test Smith

I don't think it's a problem since this is an old thread. I was just saying that for future reference, because your question is not strictly related to the threads subject. Welcome to the forum, by the way. 8)

Felipe

I can do the 6 position for 60 sec + wall hs for little less.

Now, regarding the Lsit, should I do it as the 8th element or whatelse? Should it be used instead of the support?

Blairbob

I generally work the L-sit after the basic FSP WU.

support

hang

plank/reverse plank on stability ball

side plank

german hang

L-sit

Straddle-L maintenance

I generally work hollow and arch rocks early in my WU and do hollow arch holds at the end of the workout.

Josh Schmitter

iyr_M4uvq-U

FSP Pre-req testing. Order is Plank, Arch, PB Support, Hollow, Rev. Plank, Dead Hang. Any critique much appreciated.

Link to other thread with questions about my new SSC.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=7469

Blairbob

When you do the PB support you need to push your shoulders down. I tell the kids "make your neck long" as a cue.

During hollow, don't allow your head to tilt back. You don't have to tuck your chin and cervical flexion but learn how to stack your chin and neck like PowerLifters do when DL. If you know how a chicken bobs it's head when walking, its the action of pulling your chin back in like you are trying to get a double chin.

I prefer pointed toes during the planks or only allowing the toes to flex not the ankle. Being on toes is not as comfortable but it's a tiny bit more difficult.

I would keep the head more neutral. You are pulling your chin slightly in. Cover your ears. Don't let your forehead peak out.

Josh Schmitter

PB support: I think it is a little with the camera angle, but I will focus on that more as I have been putting more focus on keeping them rolled back.

Hollow-Know exactly what you mean, thanks.

Planks-Will change it up to toe points, it's the little things I would never think about.

Blairbob said:
I would keep the head more neutral. You are pulling your chin slightly in. Cover your ears. Don't let your forehead peak out.

I'm not sure what the last comment was referring to.

Many thanks for the fast, helpful response.

Blairbob

It was referring to arch hold. My bad.

Josh Schmitter

No prob. Thanks again.