Back into it, Help please!

Started by Calder Photography, January 28, 2011 · 4 Replies · 1,778 Views

Calder Photography

Hey Guys,

I've been off training for nearly 2 weeks due to sickness (viral cold/infection) and it's killing me not being able to train!

Anyhow I'm just wondering when i get back into it (this week) what I should be doing for my fsp's.

When I stopped I was about to do my testing for my 3rd ssc, then I got sick.

So I'll be testing my new max holds but here's what I wonder about.

Prior to getting sick my warmup looked like this

L-sit - 4 x 15s sets

Planche (tuck planche) - 4 x 15sec sets

Fl (advanced tuck) - 6 x 10 second sets

German Hang - 2 x 30 sets

straddle l (legs straight) - 4 x 15 sec sets

First, I'm wondering on which exercises to try and progress. in the book it states you should move on once you can hold a position for longer than 15 seconds, but only if you can hold the next progression for longer than 5. but I also read somewhere that you're working sets "half max holds" shouldn't be below 10 seconds (for 6 sets) which means I shouldn'y progress until i can hold the next position for at least 20 seconds. I know this is confusing but can someone clarify here? also, how do you know when you should move on? simply when you can accomplish the next move?

Also another question, I'm seeing plenty of talk about the xr support hold, hollow hold, arch hold, plank e.t.c. I didn't start with these movements and I'm wondering if i should have? I've been training the hollow and arch (working to 3x60sec holds) at the end of my workout in order to help with back lever. should I be working in everything else as well? at the end of my workout? and handstand work? I'm just struggling to figure out where i should fit it all in.

When working on moves like the muscle up, or the one arm chin up, where do you fit training in for them? do you do a bit of dedicated work at the end of your wod's? or warmups?

I'm sorry to be so confusing! I hope someone can help out.

Blairbob

muscle-up or one arm chin work I would do after the FSP, with rest of course.

retest and go from there. you should be back in no time but it's better off safe than sorry.

until you are working on the straddle levers, everything requires a 60s hold. frog, adv frog, tuck, adv tuck.

Calder Photography

Hey Blairbob, thanks so much for your reply!

when you say 60sec hold, is this a 60 sec MAX hold? or should I be working 60 sec sets? once you can achieve a position for 60 secs, do you move on?

I'm very confused by all this, where does this information come from? have I missed something in the book?

is this correct:

as far as progressions go, until I'm up to straddle with fl,bl,pl, i should be working to a 60 sec max hold? once i get to straddle, I go back to half max holds and work up to 15 secs per progression.

Is that completely misguided? I'm sorry to be so perplexed!

Blairbob

Some tidbits of the seminar got released and some of it was from the old planche/lever article.

Once you achieve a 60s max hold, you work it once per workout as a maintenance hold before working the next progression as worksets.

Calder Photography

How incredibly confusing!

So this rule of thumb applies to all fsp's?

So at the moment I should be doing one 60sec frogstand then my 4 sets of 15 seconds tuck plance? then the same for all other fsp's (60 sec front lever tuck, then begin my 6x10 advanced tuck?) or should i do all my 60 sec holds for frogstand, lever, german hang in one giant set, then begin my fsp's?

I don't mean to be annoying! I just need all the help I can get.

Thanks so much for all your replies.

Thomas.