This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 110128

Started by Coach Sommer, January 28, 2011 · 11 Replies · 2,453 Views

Coach Sommer

K7DaRCQh0lY

Perform:

1x10 Cast Wall Walks

1x5 Pike Box Press HS

1x10 Straddle Box Press HS

Walking HSPU Ladders

Finish with 2x10 Wrist Pushups

notes:

1) Rest 1-2 minutes between Press HS sets.

2) If Cast Wall Walks are insufficiently challenging, you may perform PL Wall Walks instead. The key difference between these two variations is that the hands will remain behind the shoulders at all times during the descent and ascent of the PL Walks, whereas in the Cast Wall Walks the hands are directly under the shoulders.

3) Remember to adjust the height as necessary during the Box Press HS variations to ensure that the presses are sufficiently challenging.

4) If you cannot press to HS, then press to HeS.

5) If you are strong enough, replace the Box Press HS variations with Press HS from an L-sit on parallets or PBs.

6) If you exceptionally strong, perform the Press HS variations on the XR.

7) Rest 3-5 minutes then start the Walking HSPU Ladders.

8 ) Begin with Box HeSPU; perform 2 reps then immediately do 6 steps of HS Wall Runs. Take a few breaths and then move on to Negative HeSPU performing 2 reps followed by 6 steps of HS Wall Runs, continue on upward through the HSPU progressions in this fashion until you reach the hardest variation you are capable of, rest 3-5 minutes and then reverse ladder back to the beginning. You will now have completed one round.

9) How many rounds you perform depends on the number of rungs that were in your ladder; e.g. you only made it to the first exercise, you will perform 10 rounds or if you made it to the 5th exercise, you will perform 2 rounds.

10) Adjust the reps in the Walking HSPU Ladder as necessary. If performing two reps at a time is too difficult, drop to one repetition of each variation. If performing two is too easy, increase to three, four or even five reps per variation.

David Barclay

This was a great workout, thank you. Took almost an hour, but I am pleased I managed to do a number of ladders.

I did have trouble with the transition from HSPU to Wall Runs. I typically do them as per the video, but when I tried to do them with my stomach away from the wall, immediately after the HSPUs, it felt very unstable. I ended up coming down from the HS, turning around, then doing my typical cast wall walk into the position. Doing all the extra cast walk steps definitely took something out of my pushing ability.

What would the best thing to do, under these circumstances? Learn how to do wall runs stomach away from the wall?

thanks,

David

Leandro

I dont know if I'm doing correctly, but I get down from the HS, turn back to the wall and get there to do wall runs with stomach to wall.

WU:

Shoulder mobilizaton

All FSP + german hand and planche lean

WOD

3,3,2,2 Cast Wall Walks

5 pike press to HeS + 5 negative pike press to HS

10 Straddle press to HeS + 5 negative straddle press to HS

HSPU ladder:

5 Box HeSPU + 6 wall runs

3 negative HeSPU + 6 wall runs

2 ascending HeSPU + 6 wall runs

2 complete HeSPU on wall + 6 wall runs

5 min rest

reverse

5min rest

repeat the whole round

added a half round, going up the ladder, in the end, to complete the wod.

Patrick Angelo Sardilli

WU:

2 Rounds:

500m Row

12 Shoulder Dislocate

10 Pushups

3 HeSPU

FSP:

3 x 1 L-Sit (20s, 15s, 15s)

1 x 1 Straddle-L (20s)

1 x 1 Manna (20s)

WOD:

3 x 3 Muscle Up Bar Transition (90#, 105#, 110#)

1 x 10 Cast Wall Walks (Focusing more on less than 90 degree)

Rest 2 mins

1 x 5 Pike Box Press HS (45")

Rest 2 mins

1 x 10 Straddle Box Press HS (30" + 45# Plate)

Rest 5 mins

2 Rounds:

Walking HSPU Ladders (2 reps + 6 HS Walks); Started at box and finished at an elevated height. Up and down ladder is 1 round; rest 3 mins at top and bottom of ladder.

Finish with 2 x 10 Wrist Pushups.

rgpMics1soM

I tried to fix and focus on what you guys told me last time. Did not respect rest times to the tee but did not take long rests either.

Jason Stein

I attacked the press HS work without a wall, though opted to perform them as clusters.

I began each in either a straight hollow or straddle hollow, bent forward, pressed up, lowered down, and return to the straight or straddle hollow, paused, then repeated.

Also, I really hope to build on the virtuous belly-to-wall headstand push-up, so to that end I scaled my exercises down to three in order to perform them this way.

I start to arch when I do back-to-wall and elevate the hands, and especially as I fatigue, the arch gets worse.

Still, felt pretty good, and I got in some good work.

Good weekend, everyone,

jason

A. D-ROM

B. Band Dislocates x10

C1. Shoulder Stretch 3x10+10sec.

C2. Eagle Dislocates 3x5

D. Wrist Circuit x1

E1. Bodyline Drill: XR Plank w/ Elevated Feet 3x60sec. [glutes, tuck, shoulders, shrug];

E2. Weighted Med Ball Shoulder Opener 3x10+10sec. @ 15#

F. Cast Wall Walks x10

G. Pike Press HS; 1x5 [Cluster]

H. Straddle Press HS: 1x10 [Cluster]

I. HeSPU Ladder Asc./Desc. x6: Box/Neg./HeSPU x2/ea; Wall Runs x6 between each.

J. Bridge x10

Mark Wyly

WOD

Cast wall walks 1x10

Pike Press HS 3 without and final 2 with wall

Straddle Press HS 7 without and final 3 with wall (I had a few that i did not count because they lost balance on the way up)

Asending Ladder: box Hspu, door hspu, door hspu, box parallete HSPU, parallete HSPU (wall runs in between)

Descending Ladder: Parallete HSPU, box parallete HSPU variation 1, box parallete HSPU variation 2, Door HSPU, box HSPU (wall runs in between)

Wrist push ups

Making videos is a great way for me to actually try to evaluate my own form and mark my progress.

Not quite sure what is the appropriate ladder to follow so I invented stages that felt progressive in difficulty for the ladders. SInce beginning the WOD program in October I have noticed big improvements in the press to hand stand variations, thanks Coach for these great routines! If anyone has tips on form please feel free to post, I don't have a gymnastic background but am trying to learn as I go. Thanks.

Getinthecar

Nice job with the videos Mark. It looks very solid. I am not sure if I am correct but looking at Coach his video of the Cast Wall Walks from I think you should try to keep your arms straight during the exc..

Tyler Schmitz

Today's WOD:

Warm UP:FSP

3x15 s adv tuck FL

3x15 s HSMH

3x15 s Half Lay BL(not squeezing lats)

1x10 Cast wall walks

rest 2 min

5 wall straddle press HS (head not against wall)

rest 2 min

10 wall pike press HS (head against wall)

rest 5 min

3 sets of 4 ladder rungs (2 in elevated HeSPU until last set) (did 10 s one arm holds and 15 s regular holds in place of wall runs due to wall runs causing right shoulder pain from inflammation)

rested 5 min at top and bottom of each ladder set

2x10 Wrist Pushups

Mark Wyly

@getinthecar Thanks, I didn't think i was bending my arms and will put more attention intomaking sure I am not :)

@Treemantyler I saw an earlier post recently where you asked for advice for a pinched nerve in your shoulder? I had something similar a few years back and the shoulder is hard to heal from inflamation because it never really is in a resting position, even if lying down. I applied some KT tape, there are some good videos of how to apply it on youtube, and it really helped my recovery i think. Just a thought.

David Beckerman

Making small improvements here in terms of ROM for cast wall walks and pressing to HeS with compressing my spine. I actually felt it the next day in my lower back for the first time.

In an attempt to try and scale my HS push ladder I tried lowering my rings and hooking my feet into my rings. I liked trying this as it still means I have to stabilise myself in the position and can raise the rings to make it harder. Not sure if this is a good substitute but I think it might work for me in the mean time. Will give it a shot for a few WODs for a trial

Cheers,

Dave

Tyler Schmitz
markmark said:
@getinthecar Thanks, I didn't think i was bending my arms and will put more attention intomaking sure I am not :)

@Treemantyler I saw an earlier post recently where you asked for advice for a pinched nerve in your shoulder? I had something similar a few years back and the shoulder is hard to heal from inflamation because it never really is in a resting position, even if lying down. I applied some KT tape, there are some good videos of how to apply it on youtube, and it really helped my recovery i think. Just a thought.

Thanks for the advice. I will have to try that. I got an xray last week and it turns out that it was from an old football caused ac separation that healed back incorrectly. Now it's causing impingement on something when it's overhead. This week sometime I'm getting a cortisone injection in it to see if that suppresses the inflammation. BTW thanks, your press HS's look strong!!

Velocity

After some time off due to sickness, I hit this WOD this morning.

Warmup

L-sit practice -- straddle with bent legs (though I tried straightening them as much as possible); hips still below parallel

Frog stand practice -- this is going better now, thankfully

WOD

10 x 1 cast wall walk

1 x 3, 2 pike box press HeS

1 x 6, 4 straddle box press HeS

HSPU ladder -- didn't do all required; got through two cycles of about 2.5 elements (tried HeS press ascent; got it once, failed second time around); did wall handstands (~10 sec.) between exercises

2 x 10 wrist pushups