This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Is this normal?

Started by Paul Gray, January 27, 2011 · 3 Replies · 665 Views

Paul Gray

Hey guys

For almost half a year I messed around with statics (2010) without really testing my max and following the proper advice.

10 weeks ago now I tested my max statics and followed them consistently training 4 times a week with one day in between to rest. I decided to go to 10 weeks as I didn't feel particularly strong on my front lever, on the 10th week i felt i really nailed them. Here are my results:

Max tested 14th nov

Lowered L sit straight leg = 24secs So worked 5 sets of 12 seconds for the cycle

Advanced frog = 33 seconds So worked 4 sets of 17secs

Reverse L = 30 seconds (didn't test for max but put this in my routine)

Front lever tuck = 28secs So worked 5 sets of 14 secs

Straddle L bent leg = 19 secs So worked 6 sets of 10 secs

Max handstand = 1min

Also trying to work german hang as per slizz's video, holding for 2 sets of 30secs but not supporting my full weight yet.

Max tested 23rd Jan

Lowered L sit straight leg = 40 seconds So will work 3 sets of 20secs

Adv Frog = 42 seconds So will work 3 sets of 20secs

Front lever tuck = 36 secs so will work 3 sets of 18 secs

Straddle L bent leg = 35 secs So will work 3 sets of 18 secs

Max handstand = 1min 20secs

Total improvement

Lowered L sit straight leg = 16 secs improvement

Adv Frog = 9 secs improvement

Front lever tuck = 8 secs improvement

Straddle L bent leg = 16 secs improvement

Max handstand = 20 secs improvment

One thing to note is i haven't worked handstands as suggested by coach summer, just done them as part of my statics/warm up for a total of a minute normally.

My question is - is this normal? The results seem ok to me, but not really what i was hoping for.

Can anyone tell me the sort of increases they have made with their max holds (in seconds) between cycles of working statics?

One other question I have is that I still work to failure on my pushing/pulling exercises as I'm still doing body building.....will this affect the tendons and limit my progress with regards to the statics?

Cheers!

Paul

pogo69

They all look pretty good to me, over the time period you're talking about.

I'm coming to the end of a testing week for my FSPs, so I can relay what I've tested thus far.

tuck BL from 10s to 40s

straddle L on parallettes with one leg centre from 10s to 40s

tuck PL from 10s to 40s

rev plank, hips and chest high from "can't remember" to one minute with spare capacity

I'm testing the tuck FL and L-sit this arvo, and I'm expecting similar gains. this is all after a 12 week cycle.

I'm very happy with my progress thus far; will be progressing to a bent leg MSH for the manna progression and 3x20s holds for the others on the same level. I expect to hit the full minute for each at the end of the next cycle.

I'm quite confident that my progress has been assisted by introducing some morning mobility work into my daily (M/Tu/Th/F) routine and following the WOD for FBE progression. I'm also confident that I would have made greater gains if my recovery levels were such that I could handle more volume/intensity; I don't sleep well and this has negative effects. I skip the odd WOD when I don't feel strong and had a full week off in the middle of the 12-week cycle to recover from some persistent joint soreness.

the most important thing of course, is that you improved across the board; you're a stronger you than you were 10 weeks ago.

oh; and on the "to failure" thing. I'm no expert, but I'd vote for "yes"; consistently working to failure is likely to have a negative effect on your strength gains in general, FSPs included.

Razz

The thing is that when just working statics your body will adapt to them and not really improve. This is why the WODs are so good because they combine all kinds of different exercises and tempoes so your body will not really adapt in the sense of stopping progress but it will adapt in the sense of getting stronger :)

Improvements are still fine though, it's an improvement of 30-50% in many of the exercises, if you think about it that's quite a lot. Just wanted to mention the above so you may consider starting to do the WODs. Then you can do your statics in the warmup before every WOD.

Paul Gray

Ok yeah when you put it like that with regards to the percentage increase it does sound good :D

Thanks guys, yes thinking about doing the WODs.

Pogo you'll have to let us know your other max times results for tuck FL and L-sit.

update.............scratch that, i've seen the results you posted. Cool!