Doorframe pullup bar

Started by irongymnast, January 27, 2011 · 7 Replies · 6,554 Views

irongymnast

I want to get one of these.

Which is a good doorframe pullup bar?

VeganMartin

For years I have used the type that fits between the sides of the door frame and is extended by screwing until it fits tightly. I have a semi-circle of small nails hammered into the frame of the door on each side and I put the bar into these before screwing it tight. They give extra support and prevent it slipping.

I recently bought an Iron Gym one, This fits into and over the door frame and is held in place by putting pressure on the bar. I am not convinced of its safety after using it. All my weight is supported by two thin bolts that hold it together. I now only use it for static holds. A similar model that is more strongly built would be ideal. I might try to bore bigger holes for the bolts and fit thicker bolts to it.

Stewart Whaley

I have 2 that hook over the top of the door.

One is a Gold's Gym from Walmart (in my master bathroom) the other an Iron Gym from Academy Sports (at my mother-in-law's when we travel down there),

I currently weigh 225 and have done chins on the Iron Gym with an extra +60 pound nephew on my back, so I know mine is solid up to 285.

I feel comfortable doing BL, GH, ring statics, on it.

The GG feels/looks like it would take about the same weight and I do the same pulling/static/ring work on it, too.

Finn Frank

I purchased the Iron Gym when I came to University, I made a thread to ask about it here In case you fancy seeing what was said. At the end of that thread there is a link to a WOD I recorded using the iron gym (with rings handing from it) on my channel. I like the iron gym style bars, seeming very strong and steady and very easy to put up and take down.

VeganMartin

After using the Iron Gym many times I now have more confidence in its safety. It is an excellent piece of equipment. But I still wouldn't feel comfortable doing front or back levers on it - supposing I could do them in the first place, that is. When I start practising them I will set up some sort of doorway bar just over an arm's length from the floor.

I'm really glad I bought it. I can easily and quicly do a bit of greasing the groove chinning whenever I want to.

dnj23

I got a pull up bar from a sports store for around $25. Put it between the floor beams on my ceiling basement. You won't be able to do a full rom chins or muscle ups, but a good height to drape rings from.

nautee
irongymnast said:
I want to get one of these.

Which is a good doorframe pullup bar?

I was going to get one and put it in the doorway to my washroom.

A notice went up on the building's bulletin board about 2 neighbors that tore down the walls.

Cheap early 80s construction ... thin, weak metal studs. The building itself is very well built - I can't hear my neighbors' stereos on friday and Saturday nights. But the apartment interiors are all finished in the cheapest crappiest low-strength way possible.

No chin up bars or rings in the apartment for me ...

Joshua Naterman
VeganMartin said:
After using the Iron Gym many times I now have more confidence in its safety. It is an excellent piece of equipment. But I still wouldn't feel comfortable doing front or back levers on it - supposing I could do them in the first place, that is. When I start practising them I will set up some sort of doorway bar just over an arm's length from the floor.

I'm really glad I bought it. I can easily and quicly do a bit of greasing the groove chinning whenever I want to.

Unjustified fears. You can always be as cautious as you want, but that bar isn't going anywhere. I routinely use the weaker gold's gym bar for all sorts of FL, BL and multiplane work and even OAC work and there are no issues.