Dynamic Warmup

Started by MCem222, January 27, 2011 · 4 Replies · 4,087 Views

MCem222

Hey guys

I came across this warmup the other day for the upper body (shoulders). I haven't really tried dynamic warmups in the past, and the ones I know of are mostly joint rotations

So, my question is, how useful are these movements as a warmup, warmdown, and for injury prevention? (if you don't watch the video basically moving the shoulder through different planes, like front raises, lateral raises, reverse flys, shrugs). I went to physical therapy for my shoulder around a year ago, and I remember doing a lot of these with very light weight/therabands.

Also, is there a lower body equivalent that can be done in a small-ish space (i.e. no locomotion)?

Guest

Personally I like this routine (choose light weights):

xCp-YynBEvE

I like the focus on scapular retraction. Some of these exercises may be more effective standing upright or lying horizontal but in general, as part of a general shoulder girdle warmup I like it.

MCem222

That routine looks good, but I rarely have access to a bench and weights

Cole Dano

The light dumbbells he is using are very inexpensive, i've found using a combo of weights some days and bands others to be the best.

However, if dumbbells aren't an option, bands can be used for the same movements without problem.

I don't think there is a magic set of exercises that will guarantee no injury, but a wide variety of shoulder movements is essential.

For the legs, like the shoulders not only is it possible, but there are limitless possibilities.

One simple routine i like (and coincidently our friend Handbalancer does something very similar) Is to sit on the floor in straddle, and keeping a flat back and hands off the floor, bend forward as far as possible, come up bring legs together to pike, bend forward in the same way, come up, bring legs to butterfly, forward again and repeat until i can pancake in each. (most won't get to panckae, but try to get as far as possible forward, with a flat back)

Add to that some lunges, or if you want to go deep some splits work.

MCem222

Ok, thanks Mr. Brady

I'll have to try that leg routine, sounds simple & good