enrolling a child in Coach Sommer's team?

Started by Paolo, January 21, 2011 · 10 Replies · 3,377 Views

Paolo

Okay so hypothetically speaking, let's say I have a two year old son. And I want to enroll him in a gymnastics program. Particularly, your school (coach sommers). I live in Texas. And I'll have to move to Arizona. Do I just show up at your front step, and say hi I'd like to enroll my son in gymnastics. And as long as I have the money to pay for your tuition, travel expenses, uniforms, competitions, etc. Isn't there an assessment as well?

Thanks

John Sapinoso

In all the programs I know of there are separate programs for recreational gymnastics and competitive gymnastics; recreational gymnastics programs are open admission while competitive programs (further subcatergorized into compulsory and optional teams) require a coaches approval..

Blairbob

You can find Coach Sommers gym on the web. Xtreme Gymnastics in Scottsdale, Arizona. However, a 2yo may stay in a parent participation class till they are 3 and then get put into the kinder gymnastics.

If said son seemed gifted they may have an accelerated kinder class. Usually it's coed till at least 4. By 6, most boys are in boy's only classes.

There are a multitude of factors with a boy making it to team and being invited besides just raw talent.

Coach Sommer

Thank you for your interest in my competitive program.

Blairbob's advice is spot on. In addition to finances, there are many other variables involved when seeking to make a competitive team. Generally the higher the level of a competitive team, the more involved the process will be. Although there are also levels within the levels; e.g. recreational team, junior olympic, elite etc.

It is important to note that unlike many other teams, attitude and work ethic are of prime importance in my program. In fact, always striving for "best personal effort" could be considered our mantra. I have had athletes who were with me for 10+ years who only possessed low to moderate athletic ability, but had incredible attitudes. Despite their never having a chance in the world of winning a national championship, there was always a spot on my team for them. And yes, over the years I have taken an enormous amount of flack over this attitude of mine from other US National Team Coaches. Especially from some of my friends who are Russian and Chinese coaches who felt that my devoting time to these athletes of lower ability detracted from the time I could spend on my National Team members.

Personally I use gymnastics as a tool for training young men to be successful and capable members of society. What some of my peers did not understand is that while they were solely focused on training athletes, I was focused on developing young MEN. To my mind, anything else in the grand scheme of things (National Team, National Championships, international competitions etc) is simply icing on the cake. Even my method of establishing team seniority is measured by how closely they perform to the maximum of their individual capabilities at competitions; not their scores, the difficulty of their elements, how many gold medals they won or whether or not they are a National Team member.

The truth of the matter is that there comes a day when all talented athletes, regardless of how supremely gifted they may be, retire. At that point all of their titles, trophies, or even Olympic Medals are rendered meaningless if they have not also established a solid foundation of character upon which to build the rest of their lives. I find this scenario unacceptable and do all within my power to avoid it.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Newguy

I personally think this is one of the reasons you are successful as a coach, Not just of gymnastics, but of life.

The newguy who really wants to move to scottsdale AZ ;)

Razz

Yeah don't even get me started about wanting to train with coach! What coach said above is one of the key things I took from the seminar!

Alvaro
Razz said:
Yeah don't even get me started about wanting to train with coach! What coach said above is one of the key things I took from the seminar!

THIS! :D:D

Marcelo Lara

Right now I'm not logging very much here because work and training ocuppy most of my time, but after reading what Coach said I have to say it:

Coach, I take my hat off to you

Michael Traynor
omegant said:
Razz said:
Yeah don't even get me started about wanting to train with coach! What coach said above is one of the key things I took from the seminar!

THIS! :D:D

This too! ^^

As a youth worker I find Coach's attitude both inspirational for me personally and inspirational for the work I do with young people.

I wonder if there are many youth work openings in Scottsdale...

Blairbob

Possibly, but Scottsdale it considered a very affluent area. In Phoenix, which is very close, more likely since it's a pretty big city.

Arizona. Landlocked, and hot, doesn't rain much besides being an odd state in the union.

Foghorn

In response to Coach's post:

You sir, are a gem.

From a Down Under devotee hoping to meet you in person at an upcoming Aussie Seminar.