Shoulder inflexibility = impossibility for gymnastics?

Started by Paolo, January 21, 2011 · 8 Replies · 4,569 Views

Paolo

Okay well I used to be able to both arms around my back and touch each other. One arm on the top and one on the bottom and now I can't do it anymore. This was over one month ago. How does that happen? 17 years old by the way. I've been practicing handstands as well and most people say they get it within a week, but I've been trying for over 2 months. My dad says I should just quit and drop out of gymnastics? Am I told old for the tumbling stuff? I don't think I am, but I'm not sure how long it will take me to gain the shoulder flexibility to be successful in tumbling? Or Handstand work as well?

I should probably read more on the forums before I post again.

Newguy

I'm not sure if I am reading this correctly, but are you saying that you think most people get a freestanding HS in week??? Uhm this is quite far from the truth. If you have never practiced Handstands before it will take you months, if not a year (Depending on how consistent your training is) to even develop a 5-10 second freestanding Handstand!!!

I am 16 Years old, and started gymnastics about two years ago, and to say the least am not a very good tumbler, and only as of lately have I gotten an (Albeit sloppy) Back handspring. And I have a 5-10 Second freestanding HS depending on how I am feeling on that day. And that has taken me about 2 years of practice, with varying consistency (Usually 1 hour with a coach each week. And only recently have I started seriously doing a SSC And WOD's) But the point is there is NO WAY That you will get a solid HS Without months of practice. And any tumbling skills to speak of without quite alot of effort. Now I think you could get better at tumbling alot faster then me if you spend more time in the gym then a measly 1 hour a week.

No you are not too old for tumbling. or any part of gymnastics for that matter, the 3 main reasons most people start very young is 1.Flexibility, you already have alot of natural flexibility when you are young. so you don't have to work really hard to get it. Just to keep it. (I am not saying that it is impossible or even that hard to get it when you are older. I am about your age and have full splits, a rather nice Bridge ect..)

2. Fear, Kids have no natural fear of heights flipping ect.. This is something older people have to be taught to not do.

3. Strength. If you have been building on tendon strength since you have been walking there is a vastly less chance of tendon damage. And you with the time it takes to build tendon strength you will already have crosses and stuff by the time you are nearly at your peak fitness level.

In fact you are at a quite good age to start gymnastics non competitively. As you can get stronger faster then most kids. You can understand different moves easier then most kids. And with all of this there are multiple people who have started at your age and made it all the way to the Olympics! coach has some stories somewhere on the forum :)

Does any of this make sense? You are not too old. Things like flexibility and tumbling just take practice. And more practice. And LOTS MORE PRACTICE ;) Keep at it and be consistent and hard working. And I think you will like the results. Just remember. It takes time to get results, Especially in gymnatics :)

Hope this helps

the semi NewGuy

David Picó García

Just i quick note. I'm 36 and just started tumbling... and progressing. With dedication you can improve your flexibility, specially if you are so YOUNG.

Handstand in a week???? :P Master the handstand takes years of daily practice. Just to have a solid freestanding handstand can take you easily more than 6 months to a year.

Simply keep doing and results will come. Sure.

Cole Dano

Newguy that was an excellent reply.

Not much to add other than that i'm 48 and can honestly say i have NO natural talent for handstanding. I think that's why i like working on it so much.

Talent is often the least important element needed to succeed at anything.

Patience, Perseverance, Desire, and ImHO most importantly, that ability to enjoy the work more than the result are what you need.

Desire has to come naturally, why do it if its not of interest to you? The other qualities can all be developed through intelligent application of that desire.

When that is in place, what other people tell you you can or can't do just blow past like leaves in the wind.

Respect your father, but don't let anyone tell you to quit other than yourself. The only reason to quit is simply because you don't want to do it anymore. Not because you're not 'succeeding' now.

Time will take care of your success!

Newguy
Mr Brady said:
Newguy that was an excellent reply.

Thanks :)

AlexX

Haha too old at 17, that's a good one. I didn't begin tumbling until 17 and I didn't begin training rings and handstands until 23 and my shoulders are looser not at 23 than when I first started tumbling, oh I am also literally less than 2 inches away from splits and I've only started training those 6 months ago. There was a gymnast that didn't start formal gymnastic training until 20's (don't remember the name) but he ended up competing in the Olympics in his late twenties. Of course that would be near impossible now but it just go to show you that it's never too late.

Everyone is different in how fast they got things but a week to get a solid freestanding handstand that would be mighty impressive :shock:, took me over 6 months to get a proper backhandspring but one day to get a standing/running tuck and a layout was quick to follow. Don't give up so easily. BTW flexibility is one of the easiest things to improve when compared to strength and technique.

Wangtang6911

Flexibility is something that can be attained from practice. It will hurt a lot, but you can get it.

Christian Sørlie

About the being "too old" we got a guy at our gym who started 2 years ago and is now 64(!). He is now doing front handsprings, from a small trampoline to a matt, he couldn't even roll when he started. So never "too old". :D