This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 110121

Started by Coach Sommer, January 21, 2011 · 19 Replies · 2,777 Views

Coach Sommer

Perform the following:

3 sets of: 1-3 MU, 1-3 XR L-sit press shoulder stand, 1-3 Bulgarian Dips, 1-3 Tick Tocks

5x15 seconds FL

5x15 seconds XR Strap HS

5x15 seconds German Hang

Finish the workout with 2x10 Wall Extensions.

notes:

1) Perform from 1-3 repetitions on each of the exercises in the ring strength series depending on how many repetitions your current strength level will allow you to perform correctly. Each of the exercises may have a different number of repetitions as necessary; e.g. 3 MU & 1 XR L-sit press shoulder stand etc.

2) Choose the most challenging BL & FL variation that you are capable of using for the Tick Tocks.

3) Perform the most difficult MU variation that you are capable of performing without kipping or swinging.

4) Progressions for developing the XR shoulder stand are found in the Basic Rings Strength 3 essay.

5) Do not rest during the Ring strength series.

6) You should however rest at least 3-5 minutes between ring strength sets.

7) Complete all 3 sets of the ring strength series prior to beginning the static hold position sets.

8 ) Perform the static hold sets as a single giant set; perform a set of FL and then move immediately to the XR Strap HS and then move immediately to the German Hang.

9) A short rest (30-60 sec) is allowed during the static hold positions work only after a single giant set has been completed.

Guest

Capoeira training yesterday more or less wrecked me (especially my right shoulder) so I left out the most shoulder-intensive parts today.

I performed:

Three rounds of 3x seated false-grip L-Pullup, 10s XR Support, 3x Tucked Tick Tocks

1x15s Tuck FL

1x15s German Hang

After that, I was drained.

Finished with 2x10 Wall Extensions.

Velocity

Did yesterday's WOD at about 8 PM last night... and did today's WOD at about 11AM. :mrgreen:

Warmup

4 x 15 sec. L-sit, straddled + bent legs

Frog stand work -- went better today, had some holds close to 15 seconds

WOD: I'll come right off and say that between each element it was necessary for me to reset my grip / rest about 10 seconds. I'm not to the point of having the strength to make those transitions yet, except for XR Support --> XR Dip.

Negative MU -- 2, 3, 3 ...... My transitions with these were much smoother than the last time. Descent from that, however, is still almost rock-quick.

XR Support position -- 20 seconds, 20 sec., 20 sec.

XR Dip -- 1, 1, 1

Tick-Tocks: Tuck front lever, tuck back lever (may have accomplished a flat tuck BL on one circuit) -- 3, 2, 3

3:00 rest

x3

15 sec. tuck FL

15 sec. wall handstand

15 sec. German hang

1:00 rest

x5

2 x 10 Wall Extensions

Leandro

I felt pretty good in this wod!

WU:

Ankle rehab

some rope jumping

Shoulder rehab (ido and slizz stuff)

4x15 L-sit

4x15 Straddle bent low

2x40 planche lean

4x15 adv FS

2x30 reverse pushup (for MSH)

Some light back lever and german hang

no front lever

WOD:

3x:

3 assisted MU

2-3 press to shoulder stand

3 regular dips (no space in the door for bulgarian)

1 tic toc (I simply forgot it was suposed to do 3)

5x:

15 sec front lever tuck

15 sec free handstand on the floor, with a little wall assistance

15 sec german hang

2x10 wall extensions

I'm fried, but it was very satisfying!

David Beckerman

FSP WU

4x15s Frog stand

4x15s HeS

4x15s Dead Hang

3x7s Pull up hang

3x13s L-sit low

WOD

3 sets with 4min rest

3x XR pull up, 2x XR dip, 15s Ring support hold, 3x XR dips, tuck variation of tick tocks x 3

5x8s FL tuck

5x15s GH supported

5x15s XR planche training

Kenneth Manning

today's WOD:

3 sets of:

3 MU-->2 tuck L to straddle shoulderstand-->3 bulgarian dips-->3 tick tocks (adv tuck FL, full lay BL)

5 sets of:

MU-->backward roll to adv tuck FL (15 sec)-->pull out to BL (3 sec)-->lower to german hang (15 sec); drop from rings, then XR support (15 sec)

wall extensions x 10, 7+3 (my god my shoulders were tight after this one)

Mark Wyly

Hey, excited to be training and a part of the community. Started in October four months ago, have a background in collegiate wrestling (10 years ago :shock: ) , soccer, and more recently capoeira.

My main goals will be to open my shoulder flexibility, they are tight from training i use to do wrestling, and am open to advice and tips on form. Uploading my WOD ring strength for critique. :wink: hopefully i uploaded correctly...

jsaSBUnA6sA

Patrick Angelo Sardilli

WU:

500m Row

12 Shoulder Dislocate

5 Ring Pullups

1 Muscle Up

5 Ring Dips

WOD:

3 sets:

3 MU -> 3 XR L-Sit Press to Shoulder Stand -> 3 Bulgarian Dips -> 3 Tick Tocks (Tuck Position)

Rest 5 mins

5 Rounds:

15s XR Strap HS

15s Front Lever (Tuck)

15s German Hang

Rest 60s

Finish with 2 x 10 Wall Extensions.

Note: I'm still leaning a bit on the straps for my presses :(. Should have reduced reps and done it properly. But I just love the Lactic ACID FEELING! :twisted:

5fJ1x5K0xPs

Guest

Mark: great first post! You look strong. Still, I do see room for improvement. If I were you, I'd go easy on the progressions - there is some basic work that needs to be polished first.

1) The first thing I noticed was that you start the MU from a seated position (which is in itself fine) with elbows bent. I understand why you do this with the rings setup in the doorway. But fast-forward to the day where you will want to do a MU from a fully extended false grip dead hang... you better be prepared ;) so I'd suggest you play around and maybe incorporate some false grip hangs and pullups in your routine. You may also want to hang a bit in seated position so that your arms are at least straight, and then pull yourself up 'through' the upright seated position.

2) Your L-sit on the rings. A good ring support entails fully extended elbows, rings turned out (RTO; palms facing up to 45° forward), chest up and, scapulae retracted, hips between the hands. The same goes for the L-sit on rings. I'd advise you to work on proper ring support holds first, before moving to the L-sit on rings.

3) The same RTO/elbows fully extended position also applies when you finish pressing up from the dip. I don't see that in your video.

4) I would scale back a bit on the back lever/front lever and make sure you have the proper elbow extension and body alignment (and scapular retraction in the FL) in the tucked variations before moving on to the next harder progressions.

Pat: looking good! Try not to rush through the movements though. And you have the tendency to lose the elbow extension and RTO position as well (we all know how hard it is to maintain correct posture as you get more and more tired so believe me, Im not judging you :D just pointing it out).

Razz

Nice work Spartan! Make sure you are diligent about locking your arms in support. Also BL should be palms facing down :)

Patrick Angelo Sardilli

Biomieg don't worry man keep telling me stuff. I did rush yes I'll go slower next time.

Razz yeah I was so much lactic acid towards end I wasn't feeling my arms really so position for Back Lever Tuck was everywhere lol

Guys which support.. HS or normal Support Position though?

Good Job Mark, must be hard to do it in a doorway :shock: though but we have to do the best we can! :)

Mark Wyly

Thankyou biomeg. That is the kind of advice I am looking for. I am looking forward to a location where I can hang the rings and also allow a full extension of the movements to properly execute all of your advice

With my current location its hard to fully express the movements as I have to find an elevation for

the rings that allows me to not hit my head on the archway or floor when inverted and the backlevers always end up scraping my feet on the hallway wall or myknees on the floor if bent at 90 degrees :) if I don't do an l sit I also sometimes end up.just standing on the ground haha Ill give some thought to how I might accomplish a better set up. :wink:

Im married and some ideal locations are " non negotiable" haha.

Thnx spartan. You always have great videos of the wod. They have helped me try to figure outthe movements alot!

Guest

:D I know what you mean, Mark - I used to have my rings hanging from a doorway pullup bar too.

I found this site more than a year ago and dabbled around a bit with the exercises but not very serious or in any structured way, until I started following the WODs last summer. I did them for a couple of months with my less-than-optimal setup and still saw some definite improvements in my strength and (very) basic ring skills.

Then followed a hectic couple of months in which I more or less fully quit training, my girlfriend and I moved to another city, I quit my previous job etc. And now here I am, back in the WODs since this week and loving it!

Anyway, after relocating I got the opportunity to make a little home gym in the 'box' we use to park our bicycles - I mounted some stall bars on the wall, hung a decent pullup bar from the ceiling and mounted my rings on the bar. Now, all I need is some parallel bars and I'm done! And I think I only needed about 2 or 3 m² of floor space + a bit of wall and ceiling, so it can be done!

Razz
SPARTAN-367 (PAT) said:

Razz yeah I was so much lactic acid towards end I wasn't feeling my arms really so position for Back Lever Tuck was everywhere lol

Guys which support.. HS or normal Support Position though?

Yeah I know the lactic acid feeling, understandable :mrgreen: I was talking about the normal support position :)

Tyler Schmitz

Today's WOD:

Warm Up:

3x10 s Adv. L-SIt

3x10 s Full Lay BL

3x10 s HSMH

3 sets:2 strict MU, 2 L-sit to shoulder stand, 2 Bulgarian dips, 3 Tick Tocks (adv. tuck FL - Full BL)

rested 5 min between sets

5 rds:

15 s Adv. Tuck FL

15 s German Hang

15 s XR Strap HS

rested 60 s bet. rds

2 x 10 Wall Extensions on floor

Haya

Hey everyone,

So I've been dabbling with the WODs these past 2 weeks (most of which I think I managed to scale pretty decently), but I'm having trouble with the ring series based WODs. I'll post my ideas for scaling this one in "()", and would like others to chime in with possibly better ideas. I have the book and read it, but I'm lacking strength big time (not a surprise to me, hence the reason starting this type of training), I'm a young female by the way. Thanks for any ideas, I don't expect to do anything beastly on the rings like you guys.

Perform the following:

3 sets of: 1-3 MU (3 assisted pull ups+ dips), 1-3 XR L-sit press shoulder stand (I'm thinking of PB l-sit+ HeS press, but I can't do the latter, perhaps weighted RLL instead), 1-3 Bulgarian Dips, 1-3 Tick Tocks (don't have the strength to do any version of FL+BL 'cept for assisted GH , maybe do 3 body levers+ german hangs, but then again it comes again in the fsp after ring series)

5x15 seconds FL (holding a rowing position with feet elevated?)

5x15 seconds XR Strap HS (wall HS)

5x15 seconds German Hang (assisted)

Razz

You may even need to not follow the WODs and just do some very fundamental stuff until you are ready to do scaled versions. Attending a seminar would be well worth it for you, as a lot of fundamental stuff and pre-requisities are covered there :) This is not to push all new forum members into attending seminars, but it is because until this information is released to the public it's the best way to make progress :D

David Beckerman

Haya,

I am at a similar point to you in scaling down the WODs. I scaled the ticktocks to a version of the basic ring series 1. For the BL part I rotated back as far as I could and also bring myself forward to a point where I could hold the FL. All this was done in a tuck. My ROM to rotating into a BL is very small but I just try to improve it as much as possible. I use the supported GH in the static phase to still practice that. Not sure if this is entirely correct but just something I was playing with.

Regards,

Dave

Patrick Angelo Sardilli
Razz said:
SPARTAN-367 (PAT) said:

Razz yeah I was so much lactic acid towards end I wasn't feeling my arms really so position for Back Lever Tuck was everywhere lol

Guys which support.. HS or normal Support Position though?

Yeah I know the lactic acid feeling, understandable :mrgreen: I was talking about the normal support position :)

Gotcha! I see it now.

Jason Stein

Catching up on posting workout...just in time for the next one, I see.

Still have 2 more easy days, though...!

Filmed hand-balance practice on Saturday...it was a good learning opportunity. Ribs in!

A. D-ROM

B1. Shoulder Stretch on Swedish ladder 3x10+10sec.

B2. Eagle Dislocates 3x5+10sec. hang

C. Wrist Circuit

D. Bridge 3x3 hold

E. One Arm Work

F. 2x Ring Circuit: 2 MU; 2 L-sit Press to Shoulderstand; 2 B-dips; 2 Flat Tuck Tik-toks; rest 3 minutes.

G1. 3x15sec Tuck FL;

G2. 3x15sec Ring HS;

G3. 3x15sec German Hang; rest 30seconds.

H. Bridge-ups x10