Dynamic stretching without warmup

Started by irongymnast, January 20, 2011 · 5 Replies · 2,398 Views

irongymnast

Should I do dynamic stretching exercises without warmup?

Nic Scheelings

I wouldn't. A warmup costs you five or ten mins, it's worth it.

Felipe

Kurz recommends some joint rotations and then dynamic swings after waking up in the morning to set the CNS on the amplitude you have normally for the rest of the day.

But for gaining more flexibility you need a proper cardiovascular warmup.

Aaron Griffin

Depends on what you mean - I think of dynamic stretching like leg and arm swings AS a warmup.

Blairbob

There is a difference between dynamic and ballistic exercises. Ballistic exercises should not be used in a WU while leg and arm swings, squat jumps, bounding on two or one feet, rolls, cartwheels, etc can all be useful as a WU. Other good WU drills are lazy swings on PB or SR or HB forward or side to side or circling on SR.

Aaron Griffin
Blairbob said:
There is a difference between dynamic and ballistic exercises. Ballistic exercises should not be used in a WU while leg and arm swings, squat jumps, bounding on two or one feet, rolls, cartwheels, etc can all be useful as a WU. Other good WU drills are lazy swings on PB or SR or HB forward or side to side or circling on SR.

I also like some higher paced cossak squats as a good dynamic warmup.