BL, what happened?

Started by Bryce Warren, January 18, 2011 · 5 Replies · 3,726 Views

Bryce Warren

Ok so today I decided to try and do a flat out full back lever on a bar for a picture. I've never been able to come close before and I'm only on a flat tuck with the rings, which is even difficult. Somehow I managed to pull off the back lever and hold it for time, without fail or struggle even the first attempt, I did it 3 separate times. I don't even know how to train these anymore, because I just literally skipped a bunch of progressions somehow, and I've only been training BL for a few months. I assume I keep doing flat tucks with the rings? Is it really that much of a difference transferring to rings from a bar? That I'm several progressions behind?

DSC04952-Copy.jpg

Philip Chubb

I have had the same thing happen to me. I noticed on the bar that my technique felt a bit better though. Almost like I was actively pushing my shoulders forward and extending rather than simply hanging on the rings. I took this technique to the rings and I kept my full back lever. Maybe this will work for you as well.

Bryce Warren

Interesting, I'll try it out, I was shocked out of my mind that I was able to do this, I haven't even been training it that long, year at the most, and that's not consistent. Kind of curious as to how my front lever is on the bar now since I haven't tried that in a long time.

Alexander Moreen

Can you do it with your palms down on the bar? And it looks like you are resting on your lats a bit so try to widen your grip a bit. Otherwise it looks great man, Congrats!

Tarun Suri

Huge difference between palm up and down.

Bryce Warren

I might be resting a little bit but not much, it was a bit uncomfortable so I was already making my grip a bit wider, but too wide just isn't comfortable for me. I'll try it out again when I'm at the gym for more than 5 minutes taking a picture :P Also haven't tried changing my palm position. Either way, I wasn't able to do it with palms up before so in its own way it's a big progression for me :P And thanks for the compliment lavastine