This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 110118

Started by Coach Sommer, January 18, 2011 · 19 Replies · 3,465 Views

Coach Sommer

K7DaRCQh0lY

Perform:

1x10 Cast Wall Walks

1x5 Pike Box Press HS

1x10 Straddle Box Press HS

10 minutes of HS Wall Runs

Finish with 2x10 Wrist Pushups

notes:

1) Rest 1-2 minutes between Press HS sets.

2) If Cast Wall Walks are insufficiently challenging, you may perform PL Wall Walks instead. The key difference between these two variations is that the hands will remain behind the shoulders at all times during the descent and ascent of the PL Walks, whereas in the Cast Wall Walks the hands are directly under the shoulders.

3) Remember to adjust the height as necessary during the Box Press HS variations to ensure that the presses are sufficiently challenging.

4) If you cannot press to HS, then press to HeS.

5) If you are strong enough, replace the Box Press HS variations with Press HS from an L-sit on parallets or PBs.

6) If you exceptionally strong, perform the Press HS variations on the XR.

7) Rest 3-5 minutes

8 ) Spend 10 minutes performing HS Wall runs. Time spent resting does not count toward the 10 minute total. Strive to perform the 10 minutes of HS Wall Runs in as few sets as possible.

9) Rest as necessary, but strive to keep rest periods to an absolute minimum. Unless you are already extremely well conditioned gymnastically, this should be a very challenging workout.

10) You may increase the intensity of the HS Wall Runs by lifting a straight arm up to the hips during each step rather than merely touching the shoulder.

Guest

This was my first WOD after a four month hiatus. It's good to be back.

I performed:

10x1 Cast Wall Walks

15 minutes of playing around in various RLL permutations from HeS and Wall HS

0 HS Wall Runs (my wrists need to adjust to training again)

2x10 Wrist pushups on the knees, with piked hips

Notes:

RLL in HeS is very easy for me but RLL in Wall HS simply does not work for me yet. I have commented on this in my previous WOD posts. I'm going to work on negatives from now on (Wall HS, partial negative press, hold, press back up to Wall HS - increase ROM over time) and I will probably need to first achieve full ROM in tuck position, then in straddle position, then in pike position.

Justin Kyle

FSP:

4x15sec XR L-sit

4x13sec Flat tuck FL

3x20sec Straddle L Low

No BL today

1x10 Cast Wall Walks

1x5 Wall Pike Press HS

1x7, 1x3 Wall Straddle Press HS

10 minutes of HS Wall Runs - 4 sets (4 min, 2 min, 2 min, 2 min)

2x10 Wrist pushups

*I have been away from the WODs for a bit due to bad weather and no gym where I live at home. This was very challenging as usual with HS Wall Runs but I feel I did pretty good for it being the second day being back. I really need to reassess my static holds and start another SSC. God bless guys

Velocity

This one was tough... as usual. I'm still fairly weak in regards to several of these skills.

Warm-up

-- Frog stand work: These are eminently frustrating. I perspire somewhat easily, and my knees have a tendency to slip from my elbows/arms in the middle of a hold. I had to use some chalk just to keep it dry... and even then my longest hold is in the realm of 10 seconds. Grr... :x

-- German hang work: 4 x 15 seconds, these are markedly easier than frog stands at the moment. :lol:

WOD

10 x 1 cast wall walks: Not yet strong enough to handle two at once, but I'm getting there!

1 x 5 box HeS press: From a chair.

4, 3, 3 box straddle HeS press: From chairs of the same height.

Handstand work: Not yet strong enough for handstand wall runs. I did as much as I could, but near the end I was starting to feel a bit of that tingling sensation (similar to when you hit the "funny bone") all the way down my left arm, and the holds were maxing out at 25 seconds. I got to an aggregate time of 5:45 before stopping due to the tingling. (20 sec., 40, 40, 40, 40, 35, 30, 30, 25, 25, 20)

2 x 10 wall wrist pushups

Kenneth Manning

Handstand wall runs just destroy me.

Cast wall walks 7,5,4

pike press HeS (head on 8" block) 5,5,5,5,5

straddle press HeS (head on 2" block) 9+1 (major flexibility issues here)

HS wall runs 10 sets of 60 sec runs

2x10 wrist pushups on knees

Stewart Whaley

1x10 Cast Wall Walks

1x5 Pike Press HeS

1x10 Straddle Press HeS

5 minutes total of HS Wall Runs (I would be FUBAR tomorrow if I did 10)

1 minute bar hang

Finished with sets of different wrist pushups from the wrist series (all on knees).

Going to do some shoulder or wrist mobility tonight: http://mobilitywod.blogspot.com/

AJ Ruffer

I'm back too!

FSP Warmup:

Wrist/elbow prehab

4x15 FX L-sit

3x20s FL (tuck)

3x30s BL (tuck)

---

1x10 Cast Wall Walks - First time doing all 10 in an unbroken set

1x5 Pike press HS (on the wall)

1x10 Straddle press HS (wall)

10 min Wall run - 10:00 done in 27:24

2x10 Wrist Pushups

Patrick Angelo Sardilli

Warmup:

2 Rounds:

Baton Rotates

Kettlebell Fun Practice

300m Row

60s HS Hold

10 Pushups

10 Dips

Fundamental Static Positions:

3 x 1 L-Sit (Floor; 20s, 10s, 10s)

1 x 1 Manna (PB Low Weighted @ 2#; 10s)

1 x 1 Straddle L (PB Low Weighted @ 2#; 10s)

WOD:

1 x 10 Cast Wall Walks

Rest 60s

1 x 5 Pike Box Press HS (24" + 25# Plate)

Rest 60s

1 x 10 Straddle Box Press HS (20")

Rest 5 mins

8 mins HS Wall Walks (2 mins on; 1 min off)

Finish with 2 x 10 Wrist Pushups

Note: I finally learned to do the HS Box Presses properly (still had a lil trouble; did my best but getting a better hang of it)

CePhFl9fm3Q

yuri marmerstein

I am finally getting better at not planching my stalder presses

though my pike presses are absolutely awful, need to work on compression

Eddie Stelling

WU: Ido's shoulder routines

FSP:

3x24s Straddle L (bent legs)

4x16s Flat tuck FL

3x10-15s Tuck PL, 1x45s Adv. frog stand (making some progress!!)

3x30s reverse plank hold

3x20s Adv. Tuck BL

4x17s L-sit (floor)

3x25s XR support hold

5x12s PL lean

WOD:

1x10 Cast Wall Walks (8, 2)

1x5 Pike Box Press HS (2,1,1,1) - Really high box 45" or so.

1x10 Straddle Box Press HS ( 6, 2, 2) - Lower height around 40"

2-3 min rest

10 min HS Wall Runs

(did them for as long as I could without stopping and then rested for a bit and went back at it. Only recorded the time doing work. This was really tough. First time i finished all 10 min.)

Guest

Nice work everyone. Pat, I'm going to have to comment on your technique in both the Cast Wall Walks and the Box Press HS. Mind you, I may be completely wrong (and if so I'm sure Coach or a veteran member will step in and correct me), but...

1) Cast Wall Walks. Carefully watch the video that Coach Sommer posted and compare to your own. The athlete in Coach's video walks out on his hands and slides down the wall with his feet until slightly above 'plank' position. Then, he maintains tension, keeps his hands in place and walks down the rest of the wall with his feet in a controlled fashion. To finish off the rep: same movements in reverse, starting at the bottom. The only time I see you walking the wall with your feet is on the way up (and you take big steps!). Now, like I said I may be wrong but I feel that the 'walking down with the feet' part while maintaining body tension makes the exercise much harder. Same for the second half of the rep - take small steps, starting at the bottom.

There's a reason why I did 10x1 instead of 1x10 :D

2) Box Press HS. The essence of the Box Press HS (or rather, the Wall HS RLL from a box) is leaning into the wall with nothing but your shoulder girdle and then performing the RLL part. What you do is falling into the wall with your hip region and then lifting the legs. It is much easier to lift your legs in this fashion because of the location of the fulcrum (hips vs. shoulders) which significantly alters the leverage.

The reason I'm providing some criticism here is not out of negativity :D but because you're a dedicated and strong athlete and I'm sure you want to have the correct technique down before moving to harder progressions. I'm not a veteran GB trainee by any means but I know from trying yesterday that I could have done the exercises like you did them and crank out 10 Cast Wall Walks and perform similar HS Press work (even after a four-month training break) - but I wasn't able to do it when I meticulously followed the provided video of the Cast Wall Walks and the HS Press essay by Coach Sommer. The details I tried to explain really make a huge difference (especially in the case of the Press HS).

Patrick Angelo Sardilli

Biomieg by all means I accept critique this is the reason I film myself becuase I want to improve.

Thanks big time I shall correct on next one!

Joshua Naterman

I did this one starved, unfortunately, but I still performed quite well!

4,4,3,3 cast wall walks... lack of food made me a bit weak, but these were still the best form I've done. It is getting pretty easy to hold the hollow the whole time and I am actually able to support with my scapulae now instead of... not. That makes everything inverted very different for me.

5 pike HeS press, 8" head elevation. I still have to straddle down for reps 2-5 and that will probably continue for a while. Flexibility is now my primary constraint here, the strength is easy. Noticeable improvement from last time!

10 straddle HeS press, 8" head elevation. Almost a straight set! 7 straight reps, 10s breather, then the last 3. Much better than last time.

10 min HS wall runs: I did one wall run, which was easy for 45s or so but I could not use my right scapula correctly so I switched to wall HS, about 60s each with 60s rest or so for I think 7 sets. I was able to successfully engage my scapulae as we should, and that was a big difference. It feels weird and weak on the right, but I think that until I am doing a few sets of 90-120s wall HS with the correct scapular support I won't bother with wall runs.

Eddie Stelling

Spartan, I am also struggling with the box press HS work but wanted to also give a little feedback. Everyone one of your press ups you are jumping in to. This is taking away a VERY crucial part of the movement. The hardest part is compressing and activating your hip flexors to initiate the lift. You need to raise the box height (stack them or add plates) such that you can actually lift your legs off the box instead of jumping them off. If you don't do this you are missing out on alot. In regards to what to biomieg was saying about your hips slamming into the wall first, I think if you raise the height of the box you will fix this. Right now I am having the same trouble with my pike. I had a very hard time trying to make the wall / box combination work, so I backed away from the wall and press up without it but allow myself to fall into the wall with my feet at the top. I found it to work pretty well. With the box height adjusted to your strength (I used more than double what you used), it still allows you to do the whole press without cheating by slamming your hips to the wall. I also think if you double that box height you will be able to do the straddle's without the wall. But same concept, press up and don't worry if you arch and fall into the wall with your feet. The balance is coming quick for me, did 6 straddle box HS presses in row with out hitting the wall.

I also start the cast wall walks in the HS position just like the video, I think it all works out the same though. Nice job though! :mrgreen:

Patrick Angelo Sardilli

Thanks Guys!

I'm trying to find the correct scale, I just scaled wrong, plus other boxes were being used :(. Before this I was doing them pretty poorly this is an improvement believe it or not haha.

I started jumping because I noticed it went all wrong and I was just like ah lemme just get it over with and let me fix it for next time :(

David Beckerman

Spartan, thanks for recording what you do because if you hadn't then others, like myself, wouldn't have got the information and tips that other people have provided here. Even though I am not at your strength level, I appear to be doing the same mistakes in my technique and really struggle with this WOD, so thank you everyone for the information.

WU

4x15s frog stands (these are getting better now)

4x13s L-sit (low)

WOD

10x1 Cast wall walks (shoulder strength is better but towards the end my back arches too much)

1x5 negative straddle Box HeS

4,3,3 Tuck Box HeS

Did as much kipping to HS practice as I could for straight arm work and HeS as I could manage safely

2x10 wrist push ups on knees with straight arms

Patrick Angelo Sardilli

We are all a team anything to help buddy.

Jason Stein

Pat, it's inspiring that you post your videos. Keep up the strong work.

Everyone, you are an inspiring bunch for your work. The wall runs are quite a blaster.

I haven't performed these for some time, so it was nice/murder to climb back on the horse. It's also nice to have the wall runs and HS conditioning work in general paired with specific press HS work to measure improvement.

Any work I can do to build strength to keep shoulders elevated and rolled under is awesome.

I approached the wall runs with 20 rounds of 30 second work/45 second rest intervals.

I alternated every other round with 15 second one-arm/one-finger holds on each arm to practice the form required for my personal goals.

best,

jason

A. Arm, Leg D-ROM

B. I-T-Y 15x/each

C1. Shoulder Stretch 3x5+30second hold;

C2. Eagle Dislocates 3x5+30second hang.

D. Wrist Circuit x1

E. Box Bridge 3x3

F. Wall Walks 1x10

G. Wall Pike Press HS 1x5

H. Wall Straddle Press HS 1x10

I. 10minute Wall Runs: 20x30seconds work/45second rest

J. Bridge x10

K. Wrist Circuit x2B

Tyler Schmitz

TOday's WOD:

Warm Up:

3x15 s XR L-sit

3x15s Full BL

3x5 body levers

WOD:

1x10 cast wall walks

rest 2 min

1x5 straddle wall press HS (head not on wall)

rest 2 min

1x10 straddle wall press HS (head on wall)

rest 4 min

10 sets of 60 s HS wall runs

Finished with 2 x10 wrist pushups

Tarun Suri

I went backwards from the 20th's workout for today since it was raining and this was the only workout (which I missed originally) that I could do indoors.

FSPs:

Arch and Hollow Holds 2x30s, Arms by side.

LSit on chair, tuck. Focused on retraction and depression. Made it much harder, but was just able to complete 4x15s.

Cast Wall Walks 1x3. Much, much harder than I thought. I think I'll start with 3 steps next time to make sure I get all my 10 reps first before climbing higher.

HeS RLL 1' raised 1x5. Felt strong. But hamstring flexibility is definitely getting in the way. I need to squeeze in a hardcore lower body stretching day this week before my trip to Malacca.

HeS RLL Straddle 1' raised 1x10. Much harder. Felt myself taking small rests after rep 5. Both RLL's had very slow negatives to focus on hamstring stretch. I think this negative is what caused my upper back to be already sore today.

HS wall 1x30s, 1x15s, 1x<10s. The last set was so, because I overemphasized getting closer to the wall and wore myself out. Breaks were long enough between sets. This must be why I'm having so much trouble getting my 6x10s FSPs. It's getting into the HS position that takes too long that ends up wearing me out. I'll need to find a way to get into this more quickly!

Finished with 2x10 wrist pushups. Went further today and felt strong. Still, I need to keep my pace conservative so that I don't hurt my forearms again.