F.Lux light program

Started by Razz, January 17, 2011 · 9 Replies · 3,057 Views

Razz

Hey guys

Today I discovered this (http://www.stereopsis.com/flux/) program, which changes the color of lighting according to the time of day. This should theoretically help you sleep better, if you spend your last hours of the day in front of the computer screen. Let me know how it goes if you decide to use it.

Razz

yuri marmerstein

yea, this is a great program. I've been using it for a while now.

at night if you let it run the cycle, you can see how much difference the daytime mode makes. Another option is to wear sunglasses around the house before you go to sleep. your roommates may think you're weird but it's for performance

Razz

Sunglasses, good idea. My roommate already thinks I'm nuts so no prob :D

Cole Dano

This is FANTASTIC!

George Launchbury

I have had this installed for the last week or two, and it has made a huge difference when I am working late. There is a checkbox in the settings that lets you step out of 'night mode' for an hour, to do colour-sensitive work (as a web developer this is often necessary) ...and boy do you realise what a difference it makes to your eyes when it flips back to normal mode without the fade!!

A number of colleagues in the design studio now use this (both on PC and Mac) and seems to be quite popular.

In the post I got the link from (somewhere on Robb Wolf's blog) they had some other great suggestions as well.

Cheers,

George.

yuri marmerstein
Razz said:
Sunglasses, good idea. My roommate already thinks I'm nuts so no prob :D

haha my father always stays up late watching tv or on the computer and complains about not getting any sleep

i suggested he wear sunglasses at night before bedtime and his response was priceless

he said "ti shto, ahuyel?"

russian speakers will understand

as for the sunglasses thing, i try to sneak around the house when i'm wearing them so my roommates don't see me and ask me about it. I really don't feel like explaining it to them

Razz

My dad read Robbs book and the family is now going Paleo. I then explained him the lights out book theories and now all light is turned off in the house when people go to sleep :mrgreen:

yuri said:

he said "ti shto, ahuyel?"

russian speakers will understand

You're gonna have to explain this :P

yuri marmerstein

ha you've had more success than me, my family is still trying to get me to eat bread.

the phrase can loosely be translated to "have you gone insane"

however, swearing in russian is a bit of an art, and I will link the wikipedia article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mat_%28Rus ... ofanity%29

real the section on "khuy"

Gavin Strelitz

25 minutes of meditation before going to sleep results in a deep 8 hour sleep for me. It's pretty reliable.

Animalonfire

Lights out specified red glasses (pg 165 top). I'm looking to get myself a pair at the moment 8)