This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 110117

Started by Coach Sommer, January 17, 2011 · 21 Replies · 3,343 Views

Coach Sommer

Perform the following:

3x60m Backward Sled Sprint

3x10 Weighted SLS

3x5 Weighted Arch-ups

Finish with 60 seconds total aggregate work of a straddle L variation.

notes:

1) Rest at least 3-5 minutes between sets.

2) This is a maximal strength workout. Do not perform these exercises as a giant set. Perform one set and then rest. Complete all of the sets for each exercise in the following order; Backward Sled Sprints then move on to then move on to Weighted SLS, then move on to the Weighted Arch-ups.

3) Add sufficient weight to the backward sled/tire sprints to make the sprints quite challenging; the running should be very strenuous. If you do not have enough room for a 60m continuous sprint, then sprint 30m out and then 30m back (this is what my team athletes do).

4) If you do not have access to a tire or sled for sprints, then possible sled/tire substitutions include: perform the sprints with a weight vest, drag a kettlebell on the ground in front of you while you are sprinting backward, have a partner pulling against you during the sprint with a long strap.

5) Alternate legs on each repetition of SLS. Add sufficient weight (using dumbbells, vest or weight plates) so that they are very challenging for the RX’d ten reps.

Patrick Angelo Sardilli

I'm gonna need my Sled soon! Fed up of subbing rowing :( gonna get it on the weekend. :)

Asclepius

Coach -

I go to college and have to use the college gym (have access to a weight room and indoor track, but the weights are not allowed to leave weight room). Any suggestions for a good sub for the backward sled sprints? I was able to bring up a weight vest, but I only have 20 pounds on it, and I'm pretty sure that if I use that for the sprints, it won't be nearly challenging enough. Thanks!

Philip Chubb

If you have a workout partner, you can use them instead of a weight. Or get a bag full of books and rocks.

Asclepius
PHILIP said:
If you have a workout partner, you can use them instead of a weight. Or get a bag full of books and rocks.

Unfortunately, don't have a workout partner :/

Maybe I can borrow someone who is there for a few seconds to help me out.

Mathias Flækøy

If your only option is running backwards with a backpack, are you supposed to carry it on your belly? Right now it's 15kg in it, and it's not very tough.

Kenneth Manning

Todays WOD

Power cleans 180x3,3,3,3,3,3

SLS (alternating) 50 lbs x10,10,10

Arched back good mornings 115x5,5,5

6x10 sec straddle L, one hand in, one out on 6" elevation

Archbishop o balance

Finally cleared up my schedule to fit in the WODs, so this will be my first one of many to come.

Today Looked something like this:

1st workout

- Shoulder and Scap routines à la Ido

- 10 minutes of various coordination exercises. I've found juggling to be an excellent way for my to get in my "zone" before a workout... Not to mention it's wicked fun!

- Deadlifts 3x5 @ 70 kg (about 150 pounds)

- Nordic Hamstring 3x5 negatives - And my hamstrings are still crying :P

- Cuban presses Familiarizing with the exercise for my postural correction program.

- Bulgarian Rows 2, 4, 6, 4, 2, 2.. Also part of my postural correction. Need a lot of scapulae retr/depr work!

Leg strength workouts has basically been non-existent in my program lately and I have never been much of a weight lifter, so this are my first sets of deadlifts. Swallowed a couple fists of almonds and raisins before my neurophysiology class. Definitely not the best nutrition-wise, but it was what I had at hand. Second workout immediately after class, which gave me about 2 hours to recover slightly from workout nr 1.

2nd Workout (WOD)

- Just goofing around, rolling, jumping, doing cartwheels etc. for 10 minutes.. Good fun :D

- As I didn't have weights of any sort available, and my runway was only 20 meters (about 65 feet) I had to improvise. Found a huge landing mat which I pulled backwards for 20 meters and then pushed back. I did this 2 times, for a total of 40 meters backwards and 40 meters forward per set. Not exactly as prescribed, but certainly strenous =)

- 3x10 Single Leg Squats.

- 3x10 Curl-ups. Again, had no weights, but I found a large bench to substitute. I figure it was somewhere around 10-15 kgs.

- 6x10 sec Straddle L on elevated surface... feet below horizontal.

45 minutes of Handbalancing work

- 5x 30 sec "seeking the line" w/Stomach against wall.

- 5x max before technical failure "seeking the line" freestanding.

- 4 HS press feet on 10" bench. 2 HS press negatives freestanding.

- Working towards the one-armer, 2-finger support with other arm for as long as I could. 5 holds for each arm.

Postural correction/flexibility

- Glute bridges 3x 1 minute per leg.

- Wall Extensions 3x 1 minute.

Finished with some isometric stretching of the neck/levator scapulae and some ISO of the Slizzard stretch (one of the stretches from Slizzardman's shoulder video. Can't believe I haven't thought of doing them on the floor before! Thanks, Slizz :D). Also did some static stretches for my glutes, hamstrings and psoas, just to loosen up and get rid of some tension.

Was a great day, and I loved the WOD! Thanks a lot, Coach, for taking the trouble to make them =)

Joshua Naterman
Hannibal said:
If your only option is running backwards with a backpack, are you supposed to carry it on your belly? Right now it's 15kg in it, and it's not very tough.

Try and run backwards up a hill. That will work much better than flat land.

Stewart Whaley

Iron woody or jump stretch bands can make an effective sled substitute if you can get several of the larger ones.

You can google several examples of Making an 'x' shaped harness and attaching it to something.

Wod:

Ido shoulder mob

Jump rope circuit and some stretching

3x15 second backward band sprints (heavy iron woody bands anchored to gym bleacher)

3x10 Sls bodyweight

3x5 single-leg archups held 15# db 2 sets. No db final set

30 secs straddle l low bent knee

Coach Sommer
Asclepius said:
... Coach - I go to college and have to use the college gym (have access to a weight room and indoor track, but the weights are not allowed to leave weight room). Any suggestions for a good sub for the backward sled sprints? I was able to bring up a weight vest, but I only have 20 pounds on it, and I'm pretty sure that if I use that for the sprints, it won't be nearly challenging enough. Thanks! ...

In a weight room environment the first two possible substitutions that come to mind are running backwards on an inclined treadmilll or dumbbell/KB swings.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Asclepius
Coach Sommer said:
In a weight room environment the first two possible substitutions that come to mind are running backwards on an inclined treadmilll or dumbbell/KB swings.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Hmm. Never pictured KB swings as a substitute for the backwards sprinting. Thanks Coach!

Coach Sommer
Asclepius said:
Hmm. Never pictured KB swings as a substitute for the backwards sprinting. Thanks Coach!

My pleasure.

You are correct that they are not an exact substitution, but sometimes you simply have to do the best you can given your circumstances!

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Jason Stein

Heavy rain and full gym meant no sled-dragging today...I just wasn't up for dragging a tire in this weather. Next time I'll sub in KB/DB swings...

It has been a while for SLS, so it's hard to know how much weight to get under.

I'm planning a slightly different warm-up sequence this next cycle.

I was doing prone weighted dislocates, but I think a 4-week cycle of muscle snatch or External DB Rotations? A different posterior shoulder strengthener.

A. D-ROM

B. Band Dislocates x10

C1. 3x Shoulder Stretch 10+10second hold;

C2. 3x Eagle Dislocates x5

D. Wrist Circuit x1

E. Bridge x10

F. 3x10 SLS @ 35# DB

G. 3x5 Archups @ 12kg KB behind neck

H1. 4x XR Straddle L @ 15sec @ 5# [2.5#/ea foot];

H2. 4x L/R Wall Lunge 10+90second hold

Velocity

Oooooooh-whee! This was tough and fun at the same time.

Warm-up

Leg swings

Side to side squats

WOD

3 x 60 meter backward sprint -- improvised with weighting; used an ailing suitcase with 2 25-lb dumbbells, a smaller suitcase, and then some large textbooks and binders with papers... probably 70-75 pounds, could've had more, but didn't have the time to go back and forth inside and outside to add weights

3 x 10 weighted SLS -- with 25-lb dumbbell. I think I probably used a bit much weight here, because I could easily tell that my free leg wasn't holding firm nor was it as high as it is when just doing body weight SLS. This was more noticeable when doing the SLS on the right leg, because the left leg never gets up quite as high as the right leg when doing left side SLS. Nowhere near parallel, and a decent degree difference from unweighted SLS. Should I stick with bodyweight SLS until both legs have the stability and strength to be extended near parallel and straight-kneed (or as close as possible)?

3 x 5 Unweighted headstand RLL elevated -- Didn't have any partner to hold my legs, nor a way to anchor my legs, so I had to move up to something I could do alone. This fit the bill. I used a chair to elevate my legs enough to be able to get 5 reps per set. This was plenty challenging!

6 x 10 seconds bent-leg straddle L-sit

Coach Sommer
Velocity said:
... I used a chair to elevate my legs enough (on the HeS RLL) to be able to get 5 reps per set. This was plenty challenging! ...

Very good scaling.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Asclepius

This was my first GB WOD that I have done. Wow.

Warm-up:

shoulder dislocations

slizzardman's outlined 60s planches, hangs, etc. (could nail 60s on everything but the arches and hollows - definitely need work on my core strength as I was shaking a lot during those).

3x10 SLS - Bodyweight for first 2 sets, then used a 10 lb box for the third set

3-60m backward sled sprints - I was actually able to use this four-wheeled flat thing that is used to transport hammer throw mats in the college field house. Flipped it over, propped a wood plyo box between the wheels, then filled the box with my gym bag. Could have used more weight, but by the third set it got fairly challenging at the end of the 60 m

3x5 weighted arch ups - 55 lbs. Were we supposed to do a more difficult exercise? I could have done more weight, but the crunching made me feel like I was going to puke.

3x20s bent-knee straddle L work

stretch my aching quads

I can tell that my legs are going to be extremely sore tomorrow.

Patrick Angelo Sardilli

WU:

2 Rounds:

300m Row

3 HeSPU Facing Wall + 1 HSPU on 9kg Wallballs + 2 Neg HSPU on 9kg Balls

10 Jumping Squats

2 Assited Strict to Bar Muscle Ups

WOD:

3 sets:

100m Row Sprint (Damper = 10; 17.0, 16.9, 16.9)

Rest 3 mins

10 Weighted Alternating SLS (10#, 12#, 14#)

Rest 3 mins

5 Weighted Archups (45#, 55#, 55#)

Finish with 60s total work on Straddle L variation (PB Low; 20s, 15s, 10s, 15s)

Video Below my last SLS were on 14# it was hard on my weaker right leg. But 12# went well.

wO94biKkr1Y

I can't wait till I get my SLED! OMG I hate rowing as a sub!

Jason Stein

Spartan (Pat),

I like the Thor Youtube handle. And be careful what you wish for with that sled. It is a torture device pure and simple.

Strong work from strong people.

best,

jason

Patrick Angelo Sardilli
jasonmstein said:
Spartan (Pat),

I like the Thor Youtube handle. And be careful what you wish for with that sled. It is a torture device pure and simple.

Strong work from strong people.

best,

jason

HAha Thanks!

Edward Henigin
Coach Sommer said:
Perform the following:

3x60m Backward Sled Sprint

Coach -- or anyone -- what's the typical "time under load" on the backward sled sprint? I would guess somewhere in the 30s-60s range, per 60m run. I'm curious how fast people are doing it.

Velocity
texas_ed said:
Coach Sommer said:
Perform the following:

3x60m Backward Sled Sprint

Coach -- or anyone -- what's the typical "time under load" on the backward sled sprint? I would guess somewhere in the 30s-60s range, per 60m run. I'm curious how fast people are doing it.

I can only speak from my runs, and take this with a grain of salt due to my not-so-great memory of this WOD. I had a load of about 75 pounds and could have easily done more (didn't have time to keep going in/out of house to try and find more weighting), but at the very most a 60-meter run probably took me 30 seconds.

So, if I were under a weight that really REALLY had me going, your range of 30-60 seconds is probably correct.