Shoulder Alignment Gait Analysis Help

Started by Tarun Suri, January 17, 2011 · 4 Replies · 2,778 Views

Tarun Suri

I started taking pictures of myself everyday to see how my transformation would undergo. Today was the first day I took a picture of my back. I was in for quite a surprise.

Photoon2011-01-17at12004copy.jpg

Based on my knowledge, I would say that this is my right shoulder that is lower and maybe even in front of my body (based on the Egoscue method). Do you guys see anything else that I am not seeing. How does this relate to muscular imbalances? What corrective exercises would you recommend?

I appreciate your help on this matter!

Cole Dano

Its always tough to say for certain.

Are you doing scapular pushups regularly? That and hanging from a pull up bar, shrugging your shoulders away from your ears from a dead hang, and squeezing the scaps so your chest lifts toward the bar. Arms stay mostly straight on this one.

Guest

It is also tough to take a decent picture of yourself that shows everything from the correct angle! I am preparing to get back into training after a 4 month-hiatus and I wanted to take a 'before' pic of myself using the timer function of my camera. I have some postural issues which I am taking care of, but the pics I took while assuming a 'good' posture made them look much worse than they actually are (as far as I can tell), compared to what I see when I do the same thing in front of a mirror (which admittedly isn't entirely objective). In my case I am pretty sure that at least part of it is due to being slightly turned towards or away from the camera.

So what I'm saying is: there may be a postural issue going on here, but don't trust a photo that was not taken from exactly straight behind you without some confirmation from an objective 'witness' (girlfriend, friend or family member).

Tarun Suri

biomeg, based on what you're saying, I guess we'll get confirmation as I take future pictures. But even with a off-turned camera, all of me should be all, not some of me...

Look at the direction of my spine, the direction of my head, and then make a line from shoulder to shoulder.

Mr Brady, I'm going to do those scapular pushups GTG style for the next week, and I'll do those hangs every morning as well. From what I've read I shouldn't decompress my spine for the first hour or two after I wake up. Do you know if that is fact or fiction?

Cole Dano

About decompression in the morning, that sounds like a Stuart McGill thing.

I'll be honest, for me its always seemed like the best time. I'd say if you don't have any lumbar issues its fine, but if you are concerned do a little active work first, light planks for example, to get your core online. Even doing the scap pushups first will accomplish this as its done in the plank possition.