German hangs and elbow pain

Started by Chris Hansen, January 15, 2011 · 5 Replies · 3,192 Views

Chris Hansen

Hello,

I've started working German hangs and I feel some pain in the elbows right on the outside kind of where the point of the elbow would be if it were bent. Is this normal?

My elbows don't seem to straighten fully, they still look a little bent when the joint is locked out. I even had to explain this to a couple of karate teachers who thought I wasn't straightening my arms completely.

Thanks.

Razz

The fact your elbows don't straighten is genetic. Mine are the same way. There should be no pain, start with foot supported german hangs for one SSC before progressing to full hangs or even just less foot support.

Blairbob

I've got the same problem, Hansenator.

As well during the german hang, I can feel the stretch in my sternum which is why I think my sternum feels uncomfortable when working ring supports. Methinks my shoulders are very tight where they connect to my pecs, which I have been told by a few bodyworkers.

I can still pull off ring support stuff and back levers but it's always attached with numbing pain afterwards so I'm staying away from them for the most part except german hangs and tuck BL and assisted ring supports.

Razz

Yeah for sure Blairbob! Get some soft tissue work done on your upper body and check your structural balance.

Chris Hansen
Razz said:
The fact your elbows don't straighten is genetic. Mine are the same way. There should be no pain, start with foot supported german hangs for one SSC before progressing to full hangs or even just less foot support.

Ok, thanks.

I'll just keep working within my limits and be patient.

Blairbob

I think eventually I will when I get the moolah to find someone.

Until then, I'm just trying to take it slow.

Corey (Koreathlete) mentioned some sort of bodywork in arizona that he thought was amazing.