Hey guys,
I have read a fair bit of info on stretching, and I recognise the importance of not only passive flexibility, but active flexibility, but in this post I'm describing passive.
I was wondering what duration you would advise to hold stretches to increase passive flexibility whether it be splits or pike stretch etc. Now from the articles that I've seen from Coach Sommer, he says to stretch the position for 30 seconds and my question on duration isn't really isometric/ PNF stretching but just normal relaxed stretching.
Now I have read that past 30 seconds, there is little benefit so is this the opitmal time? On the other hand, in Pavel Tsatsouine's "Relax into Stretching", he recommends a form of stretching called waiting out the tension. This is where you get into the position (but no back bending stretches) sit there until the stretch reflex stops firing and the increase the stretch until you get close to spasms. Your focus should be on relaxing the muscles with various techniques.
So, is it just a matter of preferance, are both methods good or is there more science behind it?
Thanks! ![]()