This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 110113

Started by Coach Sommer, January 13, 2011 · 9 Replies · 2,218 Views

Coach Sommer

Complete 3 sets each:

1 Embedded BL + 5 Negative ½ Rev MU

1 Embedded XR L-sit + 5 Tempo Under-grip Korean Dips

1 Embedded FL + 5 Tempo Cranks

Finish the workout with 10 Bridge Wall Walks

notes:

1) Warm-up by performing 2-3 easier Curl/Dip variations prior to beginning your working sets. The variations used should initially begin with one that is quite easy and then get progressively more difficult from warm-up set to warm-up set.

2) Choose a body position for the embedded static strength variation that allows you to hold the position for 15 seconds per rep.

3) Focus on maintaining completely locked, straight elbows at all times during the XR L-sits. You may adjust the position of the legs as necessary.

4) Rest 10-20 seconds between the embedded static and the subsequent exercise. Rest 1-2 minutes in between giant sets.

5) For the Negative ½ Reverse MU, begin from a shoulder stand and lower as slowly as possible down to a fully extended inverted hang. Use your feet on the straps of the XR to both maintain your balance and to slow your descent as needed.

6) Use a tempo of 214 for the Korean Dips and Cranks. For the Korean Dips, this equates to a 2 second ascent, followed by a 1 second pause at the top, then a 4 second descent.

7) Add weight as necessary to the Korean Dips to make them challenging for 5 repetitions at the required tempo.

8 ) You may scale the workout as necessary by substituting another exercise from the same movement family as necessary.

9) DO NOT skip the Bridge Wall Walks at the end of the Workout.

Kenneth Manning

Today's WOD:

invert to BL (15 sec) x 3 sets + negative reverse 1/2 MU* x 5,5,5 [5 sec between each rep when getting back into shoulder stand]

XR L sit (slightly below parallel) (15 sec) x 3 sets + tempo bulgarian XR dips** x 5, 3+2; switch to regular XR dips tempo x 5

front pull to adv tuck FL (15 sec) x 3 sets + tempo tuck cranks*** x 5,5,5

10 bridge wall walks

*First time doing the negative reverse MU. Felt great! The only issue I encountered was that as I was slowly lowering from the shoulderstand, my thighs would eventually contact the rings and would take a lot of the stress off of my arms (legs were straddled leaning against straps to assist with lowering). And this is also the first time I could repeatedly move from support position into a full shoulderstand without much of an issue (once up, straddled legs against straps for the reverse negative MU).

**the tempo restriction on bulgarian dips made these hard as hell! Didn't have much of an issue with 95% of the movement and probably could have finished with bulg dips, but just couldn't lock out and turn the rings out on the top of each rep, so I switched it to regular XR dips for full movement.

***cranks, front pulls, etc... -- I just can't help but bend my arms a bit to initiate the movement. I'm lacking strength somewhere here. I find the same thing with L pullups. It's that first initial pull, the first 3" of the movement with arms straight and in a full hang. I guess it's just a work in progress.

Velocity

Hm. I've not done any sort of curl movement with the rings, so if I cannot even perform an inverted chin-up satisfactorily (much less a negative 1/2 reverse MU), what would be a suitable replacement? There are two things coming to mind: 1) perform inverted chin-ups with the most ROM possible (i.e., a partial inverted chin), and 2) perform conventional chin-ups. I think option 1 is probably better suited for the WOD, but...

Also, planning out again, so as to get proper down-scaling...

Lower into tuck back lever (15 sec.) + 5 inverted chin-ups

Jump to bent-leg XR L-sit (15 sec.) + 5 tempo PB dips (I doubt I can pull off 5 XR dips for 3 sets at the moment)

Jump to tuck front lever (15 sec.) + 5 tempo negative Front Pull (in tuck)

10 bridge wall walks

EDIT: Looks like I can do inverted chins... no worries!

Patrick Angelo Sardilli

WU:

2 Rounds:

300m Row

10 Pelicans

10 Dips

10s L-Sit on Floor

WOD:

3 sets:

1 Embedded Back Lever (Straddle) + 5 Negative 1/2 Reverse MU

Rest 60s

1 Embedded XR L-Sit (XR Low) + 5 tempo Undergrip Korean Dips (slight spot)

Rest 60s

1 Embedded Front Lever (Flat Tuck) + 5 Cranks (Straddle; Moved to tempo tuck front pulls later)

Rest 60s

Tempo is 2s Ascent, 1s Pause, 4s Pause.

Finish with 10 Bridge Wall Walks.

:shock: Coach is really hammering us this week! :mrgreen: AWESOME!

Velocity

Well, got through this one.

Warm-up:

-- L-sit work ... I eschewed the parallettes today in favor of using chair backs (more clearance for bent legs).

-- German hang work ... I think I was doing these incorrectly before. Despite the lack of clearance for my feet, I tried to keep my hips open and boy howdy these were hard. Guess this will become part of my daily FSP routine.

WOD:

Inverted hang to tuck back lever (15 sec.) + 5 inverted chins **

PB L-sit bent leg straddle (15 sec.) + 5 tempo PB dips (full ROM)

Jump to tuck front lever (15 sec.) + 5 tempo negative tuck front pulls (these were difficult)

10 bridge wall walks

** As time/reps wore on, my ROM was more limited and most of the time, I was getting my hips up to level with my hands.

Jason Stein

Velocity, you seem like you're on the right path. Good lookin' on the dedication.

Strong work again.

I tried a few Korean dips with a vest, but the extra weight threw my mechanics.

Looking forward to conditioning the legs tomorrow.

A. D-ROM

B. I-T-T 1x10/ea

C. Band Dislocates 1x10

D1. 'Shoulder Angel' on Swedish ladder 3x 10+10 seconds

D2. Eagle Dislocates 3x 5

D3. Bridge 3x5

E. Light One-arm HS Work

F. 3x 15second Close-grip Eagle Hang + 5 Neg. 1/2 Rev. MU @ 10 seconds

G. 3x 15second XR L-sit + 5 Tempo Korean Dips @ BW

H. 3x 15second Flat Tuck FL + 5 Tempo Flat Tuck Crank

I. 10 Bridge Dropbacks

j4b
Coach is really hammering us this week! AWESOME!

I'm glad I'm not the only one getting rocked :P

Alvaro

Well back to WODs after 3 months of almost nothing, after the seminar I only performed the warm ups and prehab for a month, and they work nicely!( my elasticity has improved a lot) But my job, family and a nasty flu have stoped me of working out properly :( In fact since july I haven't been consistant with my training. Now that is over!

2 rounds of:

-embeded tuck FL + 5 tempo chin ups

-embeded XR support + 5 tempo dips ( limited rom)

-embeded back lever + 3 neg FL pulls tucked

over all I feel very weak ( also I had gymnastic training the evening before and I don't think I was fully recovered), maybe my maximum strenght is almost the same, but my work capacity and strenght-resistance have plumbeted. It is going to be hard! :shock:

Joshua Naterman

This was tough! I did my WOD as straight sets.

3 sets Embedded tuck/flat tuck BL + 5 press to SS and then Negative ½ Rev MU +4-5 inverted pull ups.

3 sets Embedded XR tuck L-sit + 4 Tempo Under-grip Korean Dips. I got 5 on one of the sets, but man... this was TOUGH. I have gained mobility in my T-spine and that is helping a LOT with this exercise. Felt good in the shoulders, that's a big change from a month ago.

3 sets Embedded flat tuck FL + 5 Tempo flat tuck Cranks. Emphasis on the negative.

I am not comfortable with bridge wall walks just yet with my shoulder, so I did spine arches, focusing on starting at the neck and moving fown one vertebra at a time. I have been doing this nearly every day and it is helping a lot!

Tarun Suri

What a workout. Reverse muscle ups are beyond me right now. I used an interesting progression for my first round only because I can't do a shoulderstand yet. I call it: bent arm tuck maltese to inverted hang :lol:

In my second and third round, I had to start breaking apart my single bar dips and negative front pulls tuck.

Please don't mind the overly dramatic music.

c4tZAtskGsc

I still have enormous troubles performing back bridges. I was able to do a neck bridge because my feet were elevated, however still no progress on opening my shoulders.