Starting new SSC, question

Started by Michael Miskelly, January 10, 2011 · 9 Replies · 3,057 Views

Michael Miskelly

Im about to start my next SSC, I havn't tested my max times yet but I am at the point in my front lever where I can hold a one leg front lever for 15sec sets. I was fooling around when doing my advanced tuck maintenance and found I could extend to a half lay hold for about 5seconds. I know that once you get a 15sec hold in the more advanced stages of a hold like straddle, half lay etc you can go onto the next progression.

Will I move my maintenance to the one legged holds now and do 15 secs each side and then do the usual SSC style of 50% of my max for the half lay for the remainder of the time i.e another 3x10 half lay? Or will I just do 20x3sec half lay holds?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Mic

Alexander Moreen

How long can you hold a straddle? If you have a semi decent one it should be a easier position than half lay.

Michael Miskelly

I only did one legged FL's because I could never do a straddle. Not that I dont have the strength, just that I cant ever do it properly. I'm never able to feel what my legs are supposed to be doing and so I used the one legged as a work around to straddle positions. In my BL i moved from one legged - half lay - full so I was just following what I know can work. I will try straddle again today to see if I can get the feel for it.

Blairbob

Mic, can you do about 5-10 1/2 lay FL attempts so long as you have enough rest in between? Or is the 1/2 lay FL a one shot wonder?

I'm just basing this from when Ido said he would do something on the order of 5-10 straddle planches when he could do straight planche for 3-5s.

Michael Miskelly

I can do it a number of times, not sure how many but definately not a one hit wonder. Do you think I should start maintenance on my one leg/straddle holds and move onto 1/2 lay for my SSC?

Lavastine I tried straddle again and I actually can do it now but I dont find it much harder than one legs, the only hard part is on my inner thigh/groin from the straddle itself, I take it thats just because im not used to holding this position. Thanks for suggesting that because otherwise I would have just kept avoiding straddles!

Blairbob

Yes, just bare in mind working those 1/2 lays are gonna tire you out.

Michael Miskelly

Yeh I will. Thats the reason I was thinking I should do 2 x 15 sec straddle/one leg FL and only 10x3 sec 1/2 lay, if I were to go for 20x3sec 1/2lay I think it would effect my WOD and slow my warm up considerably. Do you agree?

Blairbob

Yep.

aoa

what is "SSC"?

Blairbob

SteadyStateCycle, see BtGB.