I've been busy, and first now have time to get back to the thread I started about rehabbing a shoulder situation. Will get back to that.
In the meantime, in order to use time as efficiently as possible, I wanted to start this thread:
The problem: my right leg is externally rotated, ie. wants to "go out"
Why is is a problem? Well, as you know, feet (and knees) should go roughly same direction as nose. A good rule of thumb is to point feet 15 degrees out when squatting. I am here talking about deep olympic knee bends ("ass to grass"). The problem is that I have to force my right leg to the right position, the same goes for walking. Also, this is only an "adjustent", and not a real solution. Internally rotating, willfully, my right leg is not fixing the issue that is causing the problem.
What I hope from you...is an exhaustive/complete list of possible factors causing this, and the solutions to them. Right off the bat I am aware of some of the possible causes. Tight piriformis, tight TFL. But that's about as far as my knowledge goes. I am into doing very intense "foam" rolling, which in my case is self myofascial release work simply rolling on a plastic pipe (much tougher than a foam roller, and works much quicker). There IS definite tightness on the outside of the quad, but this is re-occurring. Meaning I've rolled it dozens of time, fixed it, only to have it return, which tells me something more underlying is there.
I have also started doing hip flexor stretching, paying careful attention to my right side in order to get the glutes working fine.
In terms of strength levels etc I've done 20 reps with 315 lbs deep olympic squats and 15 x 400 lbs deadlifts. So we are not talking about advice aimed at the beginner, but the problem might be that which a beginner usually struggles with. I DO know my right medial glute is more active now than before after doing some activation work for it.
Generally speaking my knees are in good shape, but SOME issues - probably strains to the lateral collateral ligament, LCL, have happened. And I want to avoid taking weeks off from squatting caused by an issue I can fix myself. So I REALLY hope you guys will help...