This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 110107

Started by Coach Sommer, January 7, 2011 · 14 Replies · 2,550 Views

Coach Sommer

K7DaRCQh0lY

Perform:

1x10 Cast Wall Walks

1x5 Pike Box Press HS

1x10 Straddle Box Press HS

12 cycles of XR Strap HS

Finish with 2x10 Wrist Pushups

notes:

1) Rest 1-2 minutes between Press HS sets.

2) If Cast Wall Walks are insufficiently challenging, you may perform PL Wall Walks instead. The key difference between these two variations is that the hands will remain behind the shoulders at all times during the descent and ascent of the PL Walks, whereas in the Cast Wall Walks the hands are directly under the shoulders.

3) Remember to adjust the height as necessary during the Box Press HS variations to ensure that the presses are sufficiently challenging.

4) If you cannot press to HS, then press to HeS.

5) If you are strong enough, replace the Box Press HS variations with Press HS from an L-sit on parallets or PBs.

6) If you exceptionally strong, perform the Press HS variations on the XR.

7) Rest 3-5 minutes after completing all of the Press HS work and then begin the XR Strap HS.

8 ) Each XR Strap HS cycle consists of 30 work followed by 45 seconds of rest. Go directly from one cycle to the next with no additional rest.

9) DO NOT come down during the 30 seconds of HS. If you do come down, that cycle does not count towards your total of 12 cycles.

10) To perform XR Strap HS drop your Xtreme Rings down to 6â€-8†from the ground. Now kick up into a handstand widely straddling your legs so that they wrap around the straps. Straighten and lock your arms as much as possible and begin timing your HS.

11) The XR Strap HS can be made much more physically demanding by placing your feet along the inside of the straps rather than wrapping your legs around the straps. The intensity can be further increased by ensuring that your elbows are completely locked and straight.

12) If XR Strap HSs are currently too demanding, perform Wall HS instead; although every effort should be made to complete the workout with XR Strap HS.

Erik Sjolin

Quick question about the wrist pushups: would it be a good idea to get your wrists used to this by simply holding a plank position on the backs of your hands?

pogo69

In my experience, yes. I started doing them from my knees, but found even this somewhat painful. You can also scale back by performing them from knees AND piked at the hips (more pike == easier).

I've found a plank in the same progression (piked from knees -> from knees -> etc) helpful to build the necessary strength and flexibility. I can now perform 2 x 10 from knees with no discomfort (but I'm not yet ready for the real thing).

Erik Sjolin

Okay, sounds like I have a place to start. I've been doing them so far standing up with my hands on a preacher curl bench, but even that makes this sick crunch in my wrists. Looks like I've got a long road ahead.

Patrick Angelo Sardilli

skipped for today... did a normal CF WOD. Went well.

Good luck guys.

Philip Chubb

I love handstand days.

1x10 Cast wall walks

1x10 Wall straddle press

1x5 XR half pike press

1x5 Headstand pike press

2x10 half Flag presses

XR strap cycles

Finished up with some manna work plus wrist series and scapula work.

Velocity

Cast wall walks are still quite challenging for me! I'm not yet to the point of having my body/hands going all the way to the wall (a few inches away, maybe a hand width at most) and doing more than two consecutive walks is out of reach... but I'm plugging away!

Got through the whole WOD though, along with L-sit and frog stand work beforehand.

Jason Stein

Erik,

In addition to wrist pushups from your knees, you can also elevate your hands onto a couch, panel mats, or other soft surface.

I saw a big change in wrist push-ups through consistent practice, though I still can't do them super-slow.

My shoulders were a bit tired today, so finding the forward roll for the press work was challenging.

I like the handstand conditioning days, though.

Enjoy the rest days!

best,

j

A. D-ROM

B. Band Dislocates x10

C. Band I-T-Y x15/ea.

D. Prone Dislocates AMRAP @ 13.5#: 8

E1. 3x Eagle Dislocates x5

E2. 3x Wrist Circuit

F. One-arm HS Work

G. Cast Wall Walks x10; rest 2 min

H. Wall HS Pike Press x5; rest 2 min

I. Wall Straddle HS Press x10; rest 2 min

J. Ring HS Intervals x12

K1. Chest Opener/Bridge/Knee Bridge x10+30 second hold/ea.

K2. Wrist Circuit

Kenneth Manning

Today's WOD:

Cast wall walks 6,5,5 (working hard on maintaining proper body line, damn these are tough)

pike press HeS (head on 7" block) 5,5,5,5,3

straddle press HeS (head on 1.5" block) x 10

12 cycles wall HS

2x10 wrist pushups on knees

Joshua Naterman

Erik: That is probably way too much of an angle for you right now. Try standing with your hands against the wall at first. I have found that it is just too hard for me to accurately alter the intensity of the wrist push ups when I am kneeling, so by working against the wall I can find my perfect angle. Ideally you would have an adjustable hand rest as well, but that isn't very likely to happen unless you get creative and make one.

My WOD:

3 sets of 4 cast wall walks, ~60s rest. Again with better form, this time on almost every rep.

2 sets of 3 pike press HeS, head elevated 8 inches. I didn't mean to elevate so high, that one inch makes a noticeable difference.

7 straddle pres HeS, rest 60s, 5 straddle press HeS, head elevated 8 inches. These were hard because I had to use my hands to stabilize. I can't make any more progress without increasing flexibility.

11 cycles of HR HS: each cycle was 15-20s hold with a 10-15s negative slightly past shoulder stand. I recorded this and will put it up on youtube. This is the best I have ever done with the HS, and next time I expect to see some considerable strength gains. For me, doing the negative HSPU at the end of the HS hold is working much better than just doing HS.

This was a great WOD for me, I enjoy seeing my progress each time. I am hoping to have something of a press HS by the time the May seminar rolls around.

Erik Sjolin
slizzardman said:
Erik: That is probably way too much of an angle for you right now. Try standing with your hands against the wall at first. I have found that it is just too hard for me to accurately alter the intensity of the wrist push ups when I am kneeling, so by working against the wall I can find my perfect angle. Ideally you would have an adjustable hand rest as well, but that isn't very likely to happen unless you get creative and make one.

Thanks for the advice, and I think I figured something out. When I point the inside of my elbows toward each other and flex my hands, they actually point down about 30 degrees, so I may have just been going against what was natural. It felt a better (not good, just better :oops: ), so I'll see how that goes.

Getinthecar

Can someone please explain to me how you should perform the box HS Press. I read the description but I dont really understand how to perform them. Should you place a box under your head or under your feet? :roll:

Michael Miskelly
Getinthecar said:
Should you place a box under your head or under your feet? :roll:

This depends on wether you can do a HS press or not. If you are strong enough to be able to do a press HS then the box is under your feet at the current height where you can press from. If you are still at Headstand press level then the box (or books, equivalent etc.) is under your head to allow more of a range of motion when normal floor HeS presses are too easy for you.

Gerald Mangona
4) If you cannot press to HS, then press to HeS.

I can't press to HeS. How do I scale this down? I can hold a handstand against the wall. Should I do Box HeSPU? Or perhaps I could do negative HeSPU with limited range, by putting a book or two against the floor? Or alternatively, I can just hold static HS or HeS.

While we're at it...no way i'll be able to do the cast wall walks, too :)

Would love some guidance

Thanks!

JM

Tarun Suri

Do HeS RLLs or box press HeS, or negatives of any of those variations.

For cast wall walks, go as high as you feel your capable of doing while keeping it challenging, every so often, when you feel stronger, take an extra step on the wall.