Current standings for the "Getting started correctly" poses

Started by kevinrohrbach, January 3, 2011 · 7 Replies · 3,294 Views

kevinrohrbach

Hi all. Thanks in advance for critiquing these videos. My apologies for posting them separately and that the first video is 90° off—I'm currently between video-editing software…

Plank and reverse plank; 60s each

Hj2sYrCF7IQ

Hollow and arch holds; 60s each

wrzjVTK2brk

XR support; 60s

Cj_bo14yM_c

chin-up-grip dead hang; 60s

TKwTo5Mznfw

Wall handstand; 60s

TQ6QAhSnfHQ

Comments

  • [*:1ys4pc7u]Shakiness on the planks is due to the fact that the videos show my second run. I incorrectly framed my first attempts.
    [*:1ys4pc7u]Definitely still having a hard time with XR supports. I know that the prerequisite would call for PB supports, but due to the unstable nature of the only chairs available to me I elected to do the support on the rings.
    [*:1ys4pc7u]You may have noticed in the video that I'm missing a pec. I assume that any unevenness in my support hold is down to that. You will have also noticed that I have a much harder time keeping the ring tight to my body on the right side.
    [*:1ys4pc7u]The handstands are coming along nicely but still remain one of my primary focuses.

Razz

Good job at doing correct progressions!! That's always nice to see :D

-If you can hollow more in plank then do it

- Keep your head neutral in reverse plank

- Legs more down in hollow hold and possibly upper back a bit more hollow

- Hands more in front of head for arch hold

Once again, good job! :)

Blairbob

Everything Razz said.

Do the HS stomach to wall, get shoulders in ears.

I was wondering why the support was odd. I guess that's how it's gonna be.

Cole Dano

Its fantastic when people can post these kind of videos!

On the support hold, i' honestly scale it back to maybe 40 seconds and work on more quality. Once the arms start to spread and you begin to lean to one side its really doing more harm than good to continue.

In the planks, disregarding the fact it was your second round, it feels like you are hanging out in them a bit. I'd like to see more tension, more actively fighting gravity. Again if it means you have to decrease the time a little to do it no big deal, it will come back.

Lastly i'd like to see you slowly work on closing the angle of your arms towards your ears. In other words you have your hands spread very wide. Look at the arch hold for example, think of spinning your arms in so the crotch of your elbow points somewhat upward and your hand feel as if you are holding a medicine ball. Then lift the medicine ball.

Great work and thanks for the post.

kevinrohrbach

So, I'll try to sum up my thoughts and what I've learnt from all your feedback and tips

  • [*:1mpg9jvn]Plank:

  1. [*:1mpg9jvn]More "active" posture, i.e. lift bum more, make it more hollow.
    [*:1mpg9jvn]Push down more with my hands/shoulders

[*:1mpg9jvn]Reverse plank:


  1. [*:1mpg9jvn]Hold head in a more neutral position

[*:1mpg9jvn]Hollow hold:


  1. [*:1mpg9jvn]Lower legs
    [*:1mpg9jvn]Lift shoulders/upper body more

[*:1mpg9jvn]Arch hold:


  1. [*:1mpg9jvn]Hands closer together, more out front (this also goes for the hollow)

[*:1mpg9jvn]Support hold:


  1. [*:1mpg9jvn]Shorter working sets
    [*:1mpg9jvn]It's a personal goal of mine to even out the support hold, even with my asymmetry. I'll be damned if I'll let myself be held back by that. My body will just have to organize itself…

[*:1mpg9jvn]Wall HS:


  1. [*:1mpg9jvn]Chest to wall
    [*:1mpg9jvn]Head between shoulders more

Comments:

  • [*:1mpg9jvn]I have to be honest. Any sense of "hanging out" in the plank was probably more due to complacency than anything else. I'll work on improving my attitude in future :)
    [*:1mpg9jvn]One of my big gripes about my own body is my shoulder mobility in external rotation and flexion. I'm really tight, especially on the left—where I have a pec. I've made some progress since hanging out in these forums, doing the WODs, finding Ido's shoulder routines and Slizzardman's stretches, but it's not good enough. I plan to continue working on it.
    [*:1mpg9jvn]I'd been working on the supports in 2x30s in the past. I decided to attempt a 60s hold for the video to see how it went. I will, of course, continue working in shorter sets. I may even go to 3x20s—I'll see.

Anyway. Thanks to you all again for providing your tips and feedback. It's nice to get an external opinion from time to time. That's something that's missing in my solo training. Maybe I should video myself more, just for the fun of it.

I'll try to get a progress update into this thread in about a month or two. Hopefully there will be an apparent improvement!

Samuel Carr

Are these the static positions to use before starting the first ones in the book? If so, which ones correspond to each one in the book?

Blairbob

these are basic warmup positions basically. basic hangs and supports and core strength.

Quick Start Test Smith

Holy cow! There's an upside-down wall planche in the first video! :D