Hey, so I'm a freshman in college and a cheerleader. I've been tumbling for almost two years, and I've gotten ALOT better than when I started, but unfortunally, I've hit a roadblock. I need to be able to tumble in shoes on non-spring floors. Ideally I want a full by tryouts in April but that's looking more and more unlikey. I'm having alot of Issues with my back handspring. I have a standing tuck, it could be better but I still have it, and I've been able to do a round off handspring tuck for about a year and a half, yet I cannot get a layout at all on hard floor. I feel it has something to do with the fact I do not get a good backward pull out of my handsprings. As in, I get good powerful rebounds, but I can't get the momentum to rotate my layouts fast enough. I'll let you see for yourself through videos.
Keep this in mind. I don't have a video of it, but I can do near perfect round off layouts and round off fulls on a spring floor. The spring floor at my college is very springy, but I do have good technique with these moves. The thing to remember is, I can do these out of just a roundoff fine. But When I add the back handspring, I cant even do a layout and rotate all the way. This is a sure sign that my handspring is screwing me over. I think it's cause I'm able to spot and set back better out of a round off. I DO get more power out of round off handsprings, It just isn't controlled.
In this, please ignore my 2nd handspring, I tried something different with my head placement and it just made the whole thing bad. The first one is a usual standing handspring for me. Mostly, I have a BIG issue with blocking. No matter how hard I try my elbows ALWAYS bend, and I'm forced pushing through my elbows out of the handspring causing them to be on the ground long and probobally the main issue I'm having. I actually dont know how to block well at all and that may be mostly what I need to learn.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0CbVco31Qo
For the hell of it I'll put in my standing tuck. It's not amazing, but I can do it and its not like I need it too much better except if I ever wanna do standing fulls. Mostly I always land low and fall a little forward out of the tuck.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bJrP1OSg2Q
Now onto my main issue which is running. I posted my back handspring cause thats what screws up my running tumbling. This is a rounoff handspring tuck, It've very sloppy I'm sorry, I just got off the tumble track working fulls and went straight to dead matt (the matt im on doesnt have springs) so it's not my best but shows you my form.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAxHNZ07XwE
Now finally ths is my video of my first attempt at a layout on dead mat. This roundoff handspring is actually better than usual. I tucked and piked the layout because i got freaked out, I do know how to do one. Setting would probobally be the biggest issue but I'ts not setting normally, its coming out of the back handspring that it's odd.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ_y1MLiJ2Y
Altogether, does anyone have tips on improving my tumbling. Anything at all will be appreciated =)