This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 101231

Started by Coach Sommer, December 31, 2010 · 19 Replies · 3,053 Views

Coach Sommer

Complete the following:

3 sets of MU, L-sit press shoulder stand, 2 XR HSPU, negative Reverse MU down to an inverted hang, 2 slow Negative Front Pulls, 2 slow Negative Back Pulls

5x15 seconds FL

5x15 seconds XR Strap HS

5x15 seconds German Hang

Finish the workout with 2x10 Wall Extensions.

notes:

1) Do not rest during the Ring strength series.

2) Strive to perform the MU with an emphasis on strength; keeping the

kipping minimized or preferably eliminated all together. Be especially conscientious in locking your arms and turning out the rings at the top of each repetition.

3) Progressions for developing the XR shoulder stand are found in the Basic Ring Strength 3 essay.

4) If the XR HSPU are too difficult, you should attempt Negative XR HSPU. If these are still too difficult, scale down still further with the most difficult XR dip variation that you are capable of.

5) You may use the feet on the straps to slow your descent during the negative Reverse MU.

6) Use the position of your choice during the negative Front and Back Pulls that allows you to control the descent while still being challenging. The ascent and descent of these elements may both be performed in different positions.

7) Complete all 3 sets of the ring strength series prior to beginning the static hold position sets.

8 ) Rest at least 3-5 minutes between ring strength sets.

9) Perform the static hold sets as a single giant set; perform a set of FL, then move immediately to the XR Strap HS and then move immediately to the German Hang.

David Beckerman

Hey guys

Have a happy new year! To scale this ring series right down is it appropriate to scale it down to 3 sets of 5 XR pull ups, dips please? I'd scale the pulls to negative German hangs and front pull negatives and do everything as a giant set.

Just wanted to make sure I am scaling okay please.

Cheers

Dave

gymgreg

I usually do something similar to the FSP warmup (mixed with other skills I want to learn). But on ring strength days I skip it for some dynamic warm-up to get the shoulder girdle activated properly.

So today I recorded some of the warm-up exercises I like to include and afterwards one round of todays WOD. I usually do a couple of sets of those exercises. What I didn't record was the mobility work I did before that with the band on the stall bars.

N6MNPY5xZTQ

Mixed in HSPU are always tricky, because the rings have to be lowered quite a bit. Therefore making the Negative Font/Back Pulls impossible to execute correctly.

Have a good start into the new year everybody.

Cole Dano

I always look forward to your ring day posts Gregor!

I'm glad you showed your warm up this time, looks good! I liked the dynamic tuck to full lever, i will try that myself, with less beautiful results i'm sure.

Have you noticed strength gains over the last half year. You look stronger from post to post. Your muscle up seems particularly light, levers as well.

gymgreg
Mr Brady said:
Have you noticed strength gains over the last half year?

I was able to improve in almost every aspect of my training except for metcons, since that wasn't my focus during that time.

Though I definitely improved in my pressing ability, it is nowhere near where I could say I am happy with it. I hope to bring that up to my pulling abilities to eliminate the imbalance.

So I will continue to focus on basic strength in my workouts.

FritsMB Mansvelt Beck

This is the second WOD I have done (one of my New Year’s resolutions). Feels really good. I had not done any XR shoulder stand or hand stand, so had to get a “feel†for it. Turned out to be more doable than I had anticipated. So the only part I had to skip was the XR HSPU. Instead I did 15 sec. negatives at the end of each of 5 20 sec. XR HS. I must say, that this WOD leaves me feeling a lot better (and tired) than my own playing around with static holds. Coach and everybody else, I wish you a good 2011. Thanks for posting your video, Greg. Inspiring!

Patrick Angelo Sardilli

NIce one, but no gym open today will. Happy new year guys see you next week! :)

Attack the WODS in the new year!

Patrick Angelo Sardilli
gymgreg said:
I usually do something similar to the FSP warmup (mixed with other skills I want to learn). But on ring strength days I skip it for some dynamic warm-up to get the shoulder girdle activated properly.

So today I recorded some of the warm-up exercises I like to include and afterwards one round of todays WOD. I usually do a couple of sets of those exercises. What I didn't record was the mobility work I did before that with the band on the stall bars.

N6MNPY5xZTQ

Mixed in HSPU are always tricky, because the rings have to be lowered quite a bit. Therefore making the Negative Font/Back Pulls impossible to execute correctly.

Have a good start into the new year everybody.

Thanks Greg I was wondering a good warmup for Ring Strengths this will help me out big time!

Kenneth Manning

As always, very very impressive Greg.

Today's WOD (scaled):

3 sets of:

3MU-->L sit to tuck shoulderstand-->2 XR dips*-->backward roll-->2 invert pullups-->adv tuck front pull negative (tuck on ascent)-->full lay back pull negative (tuck ascent)-->forearms practically numb

5 sets of:

Adv tuck FL (15 sec)-->BL (3 sec)-->german hang (15 sec); XR support (15 sec)

Wall extensions x 10, 7+3 (shoulders were INCREDIBLY tight here)

*my workout room has a one side slanted roof (not peaked), so in setting my rings as high as I can, its too close to the wall to allow for bulgarian dips or straddle position levers (I can do them when I switch to the middle of the room, but not for ring strength series, as that requires as much height as I can get).

Great workout today, I felt thoroughly worked by the end.

David Picó García

Nice warm up /WOD gymgreg. The thing that amaze me the most is your faith in your ceiling ring assembly :shock:

Squatchy

FSP

pl (adv frogstand)

FL (flat tuck)

HS (a little wall assistance)

BL (flat tuck)

warmup

played around with pullups and dips a little, did some MU practice with easier versions

workout

3 sets

MU(body row MU with heels on ground for transition) -> Lsit -> shoulder stand -> try to press up a little while in shoulder stand, didnt move much, drop to inv hang -> 2 dips -> inv hang -> 2 neg front pulls (half lay, and tuck pulling back up) -> 2 neg back pulls (half lay, tuck pulling back up)

rest about 4 mins

5x15

FL (tuck on pullup bar, need rings low for the HS)

ring HS (with feet helping on the pullup bar which is above me close enough for my feet to touch)

German Hang (on pullup bar)

decided to practice MU and L-sit to shoulder stand a little more, and a set of pullups

finished with

2x10 wall extensions

Great workout, thanks again

Have a great New Year!

sapperjr06

Coach,

What is a good exercise to begin with if you can't do a muscle up? I can perform pull ups and dips on my XR rings, but it's the transition portion that's killing me. If anyone could be of assistance, I would so graciously appreciate your help!

Patrick Angelo Sardilli

Take the time to work the transition for a while. Negatives and seated muscle ups can help. Work with this for a while. Patience.

Edward Henigin

Try Developing the Muscle-up Transition, a sticky in the Ring Strength forum

sapperjr06 said:
Coach,

What is a good exercise to begin with if you can't do a muscle up? I can perform pull ups and dips on my XR rings, but it's the transition portion that's killing me. If anyone could be of assistance, I would so graciously appreciate your help!

yuri marmerstein

doing the handstand pushups in the middle of the set was a bit awkward, as I hang the rings from the high uneven bar at my gym.

still a good session though

sapperjr06

Thanks to everyone who provided their guidance to help me out!

Joshua Naterman

Great workout.

Because I was in a confined space (inside the house) I did the XR HSPU negatives (that's where I am at) after my three ring series were done. This enabled me to give a good effort in the rest without having to adjust the rings multiple times.

I had just done soft tissue work again AND it was 1 AM so I was not at peak strength, but I did film and it will be up soon. Negative reverse MU is coming along, I actually have control all the way down and I'm not putting that much pressure on the straps. I wish I wasn't so dead tired when I did this workout, but I still did pretty good.

Jason Stein

Happy New Year's!

The Wife, The Kid and I visited Bend, Oregon, for New Year's, so no ring access.

So I am really looking forward to the statics and press-conditioning work next week...

Good luck with everyone's training goals for 2011!

Minus my September-November hiatus, January 1 marks exactly 2 years of these WODs.

best,

jason

Animalonfire

3X Narrom Mup>Lsit>shoulder stand>2Bulgarian dips>Negative reverse Mup from shoulder stand(legs wrapped around straps)>2 flat tuck front pull negative>2 straddle back pull nagative

5x 15s flat tuck FL(I surprised myself here, seeing as I do 4 x 15 for FSP)>20 steps HS wall run>15s german hang

2x10 wall extensions

PWO (very good)

Raisins, Tuna, banana's, apple, crayfish, honey,fish oil, pork, cheese, brocoli, carrots, orange vegetable(?), eggs, apple, orange

And a 13hour sleep 8)

Determined to have another one like this today before term starts, then I have one "normal" week followed by a week of exams and everything will get put aside so I can earn my magic bits of paper. Currently off for some revision before todays WOD :mrgreen:

Tyler Schmitz

Today's WOD

Warm Up:FSP

4x10 s Tuck PL

4x10 s Straddle L

4x5 PL Leans

4x10 s HSMH

3 sets of:2 MU, L-Sit Press to shoulder stand, 2 XR strap HSPU, Neg. Reverse MU to inverted hang, 2 slow Negative Half Lay Front Pulls, 2 slow Negative Full Lay Back Pulls

rested 5 min between sets

5 rds:

15 s Adv. Tuck FL

15 s German Hang

15 s XR Strap HS

rested 60 s between rds

Finished with 2 x 10 Wall Extensions on floor and short jog down street