Hey guys!
So a while ago in the gym, I decided I wanted to become more proficient in ring strength holds. My ideal goal would be possibly a straddle planche by mid next year, but more on that some other time.
Anyway, when I asked my coach how to train for more intens static holds, he said one word: "Isometrics" He told me to take two chairs (sturdy ones
) and every day, press down on them in 3x8s intervals in FL, BL and cross positions. 3x for each position, so 9x8s= only 72s of work altogether. I followed this routine strictly for 2 1/2 months, doing this small bit in addition to the rest of the normal training (which didn't involve much lever-related stuff, and next to no cross-related). then, just recently, my coach asked my to try out the levers. Front lever I can hold now, no prob, and back lever is in straddle position, for some reason BL has always been difficult for me. :? also the Iron cross training which we are starting now seems much easier for me than a lot of others, although this might have other (possibly genetic) causes.
Long story short, I am interested in your opinions on Isometric training, where one basically just assumes a position and pushes. Also any personal experiences would be of interest to me.
Cheers, flenser.