This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 101228

Started by Coach Sommer, December 28, 2010 · 17 Replies · 2,558 Views

Coach Sommer

K7DaRCQh0lY

Perform:

1x10 Cast Wall Walks

1x5 Pike Box Press HS

1x10 Straddle Box Press HS

Walking HSPU Ladders

Finish with 2x10 Wrist Pushups

notes:

1) Rest 1-2 minutes between Press HS sets.

2) If Cast Wall Walks are insufficiently challenging, you may perform PL Wall Walks instead. The key difference between these two variations is that the hands will remain behind the shoulders at all times during the descent and ascent of the PL Walks, whereas in the Cast Wall Walks the hands are directly under the shoulders.

3) Remember to adjust the height as necessary during the Box Press HS variations to ensure that the presses are sufficiently challenging.

4) If you cannot press to HS, then press to HeS.

5) If you are strong enough, replace the Box Press HS variations with Press HS from an L-sit on parallets or PBs.

6) If you exceptionally strong, perform the Press HS variations on the XR.

7) Rest 3-5 minutes then start the Walking HSPU Ladders.

8 ) Begin with Box HeSPU; perform 2 reps then immediately do 6 steps of HS Wall Runs. Take a few breaths and then move on to Negative HeSPU performing 2 reps followed by 6 steps of HS Wall Runs, continue on upward through the HSPU progressions in this fashion until you reach the hardest variation you are capable of, rest 3-5 minutes and then reverse ladder back to the beginning. You will now have completed one round.

9) How many rounds you perform depends on the number of rungs that were in your ladder; e.g. you only made it to the first exercise, you will perform 10 rounds or if you made it to the 5th exercise, you will perform 2 rounds.

10) Adjust the reps in the Walking HSPU Ladder as necessary. If performing two reps at a time is too difficult, drop to one repetition of each variation. If performing two is too easy, increase to three, four or even five reps per variation.

Kenneth Manning

today's WOD

cast wall walks 6,5,5 (60 sec rest between each set)

pike press HeS (head on 6" block) x 3,5,5

straddle press HeS (head on floor) x 10

Walking HSPU ladders:

5 rounds

box HeSPU x 5

6 steps HS wall run

negative HeSPU x 2

6 steps HS wall run

2x10 wrist pushups on knees

Patrick Angelo Sardilli
Coach Sommer said:
K7DaRCQh0lY

Perform:

1x10 Cast Wall Walks

1x5 Pike Box Press HS

1x10 Straddle Box Press HS

Walking HSPU Ladders

Finish with 2x10 Wrist Pushups

notes:

1) Rest 1-2 minutes between Press HS sets.

2) If Cast Wall Walks are insufficiently challenging, you may perform PL Wall Walks instead. The key difference between these two variations is that the hands will remain behind the shoulders at all times during the descent and ascent of the PL Walks, whereas in the Cast Wall Walks the hands are directly under the shoulders.

3) Remember to adjust the height as necessary during the Box Press HS variations to ensure that the presses are sufficiently challenging.

4) If you cannot press to HS, then press to HeS.

5) If you are strong enough, replace the Box Press HS variations with Press HS from an L-sit on parallets or PBs.

6) If you exceptionally strong, perform the Press HS variations on the XR.

7) Rest 3-5 minutes then start the Walking HSPU Ladders.

8 ) Begin with Box HeSPU; perform 2 reps then immediately do 6 steps of HS Wall Runs. Take a few breaths and then move on to Negative HeSPU performing 2 reps followed by 6 steps of HS Wall Runs, continue on upward through the HSPU progressions in this fashion until you reach the hardest variation you are capable of, rest 3-5 minutes and then reverse ladder back to the beginning. You will now have completed one round.

9) How many rounds you perform depends on the number of rungs that were in your ladder; e.g. you only made it to the first exercise, you will perform 10 rounds or if you made it to the 5th exercise, you will perform 2 rounds.

10) Adjust the reps in the Walking HSPU Ladder as necessary. If performing two reps at a time is too difficult, drop to one repetition of each variation. If performing two is too easy, increase to three, four or even five reps per variation.

Is 1 rep of HS Wallrun = both hands or each hand touching shoulder? can anyone clear this up thanks!

Eddie Stelling

Because he says steps in the description I have always done 6 steps, 3 on each hand. This is also how slizzardman did it in one of his videos.

yuri marmerstein

shoulders and scaps with band

wrist series

holds of L-sit, tuck front lever, and tuck planche

3x3(4) PL wall walks

5x1 Negative pike press to L on pbars

10x1 press from straddle L on pbars

3x3 full ROM HSPU on pbars

2x10 wrist pushups on knees

doing presses one at a time to focus on form, technique, and quality

Jason Stein

Yuri,

The negative lower through to L on PB is a great idea, man.

Arm D-ROM

Shoulder Band Disclocates x10

Prone Dislocates x10 @ 13#

Wrist Circuit x1

Eagle Dislocates x10

Box Bridge 10+10s

One-arm Work 5x12s @ arm

Cast Wall Walk x10

Pike Press HS x5

Straddle Press HS x10

HeSPU Pyramid x2; alternate with 5second one-arm hold @ arm:

Box HeSPU x2

Neg HeSPU x2

HeSPU x2

Elev. HeSPU @ 4inch x2

Wrist Circuit x2

Eagle Dislocates x10

'Pigeon' Bridge 10+10s

I'm enjoying a return to these workouts. I practiced the HeSPUs with first three rungs with belly to the wall, and really tried to keep in elbows.

best,

j

flenser

soo... first WOD ever :D

(1) (6, 5, 5) cast wall walks -I swear, the last set almost destroyed me, mebbe too small a rest time

(2) 2x5 pike HeSPU

(3) 1x straddle L press to HS on parallettes -first ever from straddle L, yay!

3x3 negative straddle press to straddle L

(4) Ladder:

3 Rounds of:

3 Box HeSPU

6 Wall Runs

3 Negative HeSPU on parallettes -feels safer than head towards floor also more control

6 Wall Runs

3 HeSPU on parallettes

6 Wall Runs

(5) 4x4 wrist pushups -gotta admit these guys give me a bit of trouble. any suggestions as to what surface they should be performed on? thx

all in all I would say the last set of the ladder did me in the most.

*edit* quick question. when HSPUing, elbows go where? to the outside or towards chest?

Newguy

Hey!!! It says for you to walk up the HSPU ladder Take a 3-5 min break. Then back down. and that is one round! My question is do you rest another 3-5 before you go back up?

David Beckerman

I struggle with this WOD. I think it's a mixture of the skill set, strength and psychological. Things I learnt are:

1) keep more of a hollow body position on cast wall walks.

2) my straight arm strength sucks so next month I might replace static HeS work to a pike box HS static

3) This inverted pushing and static holds makes my shoulders feel great

WU

4x15 sec HeS, hollow and arch holds, frog stands and L-sit

WOD

10 cast wall walks (3,3,2,2)

5 tuck press HeS

10 straddle press HeS (poor ROM so I like the idea of negatives next time)

10 rounds 2x HeSPU and 10 sec pike box HS

2x10 wrist push ups (straight arm on knees)

Patrick Angelo Sardilli

oh damn :shock: thats what happens when your in rush you read everything wrong.. ok steps 3 each hand. Thx.

Joshua Naterman

I couldn't remember whether I was supposed to do ring handstands or HSPU ladders, and I had a feeling I was out of order so when XR strap HS comes up I will do the HSPU ladder instead.

3x4 cast wall walks, 60s rest between sets. Even better form! This is really nice, seeing form get better each time. I pretty much exclusively feel these in the medial deltoid head.

2x4 7" head elevated pike HeS Press! Yay! Getting better! Another month or two and I'll be ready for another inch of elevation! It is amazing how much difficult gets added with each inch of elevation.

2x7 7" head elevated straddle HeS Press. This was good, I was going much slower on the negatives, so I gave out a bit earlier and decided to do two sets. I love these.

8 sets of 15s XR HS + 15s XR HSPU negative. This goes partway into the reverse muscle up, down to forearms almost parallel with the ground. I can actually push up to a straight arm XR strap HS with palms parallel from arms slightly more than 90 degrees, which I am very excited about! That was not possible for me before this WOD... very exciting progress. I will have to remember to do the HSPU ladders next time.

Tarun Suri

Coach, I know that you generally recommend to keep the progression chosen at a level where we can complete the prescribed reps. But in the case of Cast wall walks, if 10 reps is challenging, would you prefer that we do something other than simply lowering the reps?

Joshua Naterman

Havoc, there really isn't anything to scale down from in the cast wall walks other than wall handstands, and that is a substitution for the HS wall runs. I suppose you could get up into a handstand and just do negative wall walks at first, if you really need to, but I know that my friend and I have gotten a ton of improvement from just lowering the reps to what we can handle per set, and shooting for 10-15 total reps when breaking up the set. Typically, if you can't start from the floor you would just get up into whatever elevation you can handle and continue walking up from there, slowly building the ROM until you are doing the whole thing and then adding reps as you can.

Other seminar guys, PLEASE correct me if I am wrong on this, but I believe Coach was telling us that if you can't do all 10 in a row to break the reps up into manageable sets without too much rest.

Cole Dano

Honestly i don't remember that but i do believe it to be a good strategy.

What i've been doing with shocking success is to do partials. Instead of walking all the way out i go x steps gauging so i can do the 10 reps. The first time i could only manage about 3 steps, now its 7 or 8 which is getting to be about parallel with the floor.

Joshua Naterman

That's a good idea!

Razz

I know he has said to break things up for other things so could apply here too I'm guessing :)

Tarun Suri

I like the idea Mr. Brady. And thanks for the responses guys.

Tyler Schmitz

Today's WOD

Warm Up: FSP

4x10 s Half Lay FL

4x10 s Tuck Pl

4x10 s Straddle L

10 cast wall walks

rest 2 min

5 straddle wall HS press (head not against wall)

rest 2 min

10 straddle wall HS press (head against wall)

rest 5 min

4 rungs HSPU ladder (elevated HeSPu 3 in)

rested 3 min before going down ladder and 4-5 min before going up ladder

finished with 2 x 10 elevated wrist pushups

taking the next 4 days off